No announcement yet.

How critical are borders for 1:24?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it hasn't been covered, you can also canibilize half of a R1 for an inside border on an R2. You can do a similar trick for a curved pit lane.

Comment

I think I might start linking to this thread whenever we get a newbie who asks for layout help but says that he doesn't need border room.

Comment

Originally posted by buspor63 View Post
        If it hasn't been covered, you can also canibilize half of a R1 for an inside border on an R2. You can do a similar trick for a curved pit lane.
        Good idea, hadn't thought of that but it makes sense.

Originally posted by MrFlippant View Post
        I think I might start linking to this thread whenever we get a newbie who asks for layout help but says that he doesn't need border room.
        LOL! Yes, just tell them to read through my layout thread and they can learn from all my mistakes. I will say that when I initially got back into slot cars with the Carrera GT set I never in a million years would have thought I'd have invested this much time and money in it.

I think the best thing for anyone new is to just run a bare plywood table for as long as you can. I did that out of necessity and worked out a lot of issues while things were still very flexible. With the new edition, I was really chomping at the bit to landscape because it looked bare in contrast to the rest of the track. You can always rip things out and reconfigure; I have a section of mountain I had to take out for the latest expansion and it came out really nice but it's a lot of extra work and revisions like that need to be kept at a minimum. But... no regrets... it's all fun.
        Last edited by DRW-FJ40; 03-10-2016, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DRW-FJ40 View Post
          Good idea, hadn't thought of that but it makes sense.
          Re: 1/2 K1 as inner border for K2. I've done this one as well. We all have more K1s than we want, anyway! I just wish I had cut down a K1/60 instead of using a 1/30. The 1/30s are more flexible for track building.

Comment

I've purchased a few 1:24 cars. I've created some templates for making borders of my own. In some cases, they've been designed to fit areas that, when I built them, didn't know what borders were. In other places, I could fit a standard border but I like the way mine look better... it's mainly those rounded end pieces that don't agree with my sense of aesthetics... I like my transitions better.

But I've been watching the cars slide and as you can see, I've adjusted my transitions through the curves to take advantage of available space and to keep them narrow where the car is beginning to go into a slide and then expand out to full width, space permitting, where the car will, in theory, be sliding out the most.

Just wanted to see what those of you who use full borders all the way around thought of this logic.

Ultimately, I can use the templates as borders by adding styrene road surface or use them as templates to cut Carrera borders down.

It's probably obvious but the shaded borders are mine, non-shaded are the stock Carrera outlines.

Comment

It looks good but personally I would connect the two corners on the upper left side of the layout. You have less than a full straight without a border and I think aesthetically it would look better. Of course I would have borders connecting the upper right side too but that's just me.

Dave

Told ya not to get any 1/24s....

Comment

Great idea to make your own borders, I really like what you're doing. Your placement looks good, especially if you're racing with magnets. If you don't use magnets you might want to extend the corner exit border a few inches. I think almost a full track length on corner exit is preferred for non mag racing, but I use upgraded motors too. Also, when there's only one straight track between curves it's probably easier and better aesthetically to use a straight border for the full length. Your track is elevated in that section and you don't want cars falling on the track below. Having said that you also want to minimize line of sight interference, so it's really based on driver position and you preferences. But your ideas and skills are admirable

Also, I might also ask you for the vector files you offered on the other thread.

Comment

Originally posted by dw5555 View Post
                  It looks good but personally I would connect the two corners on the upper left side of the layout. You have less than a full straight without a border and I think aesthetically it would look better. Of course I would have borders connecting the upper right side too but that's just me.

Dave

Told ya not to get any 1/24s....
                  Yea, I've done several iterations of this and most of them had that stretch connected. I think I didn't like it because I made it curve in & then back out for the second curve and it was too busy. I'll try something else. On the upper right one, I think I need to keep that tunnel accessible.

and... yes... you did warn me. I've been told I don't listen real well before so... that's my excuse. I just got that Sebring Corvette in 1:24... Wow!

Originally posted by carlosinseattle View Post
                  Great idea to make your own borders, I really like what you're doing. Your placement looks good, especially if you're racing with magnets. If you don't use magnets you might want to extend the corner exit border a few inches. I think almost a full track length on corner exit is preferred for non mag racing, but I use upgraded motors too. Also, when there's only one straight track between curves it's probably easier and better aesthetically to use a straight border for the full length. Your track is elevated in that section and you don't want cars falling on the track below. Having said that you also want to minimize line of sight interference, so it's really based on driver position and you preferences. But your ideas and skills are admirable

Also, I might also ask you for the vector files you offered on the other thread.
                  I am racing with magnets. I race with my kids and I'm not sure they're ready for that but something to think about as I've already learned that I need to at least keep options open for the future.

Thanks for the advice and kind words Carlos, you're more than welcome to my CAD file of borders, I've got more too, any track piece that's in my layout, I've drawn in AutoCAD so I'll PM you for specifics.

Comment

Here are the two joined. I like this one better.

Comment

That would have been me last year!!

Comment

Much better. Your cars will thank you..

Dave

Comment

Hi there,

are you planning on inside borders as well? It looks like you have some 1/60 curves - the 1/24 cars will track with the inside rear wheel off the track. Depending on the car, even the 2/30 radius will cause the inside rear wheel to track half way off the track.

Just wondering...

Seb

Comment

Yeah, magless cars will wiggle a bit more than magnet ones. With magnet cars, they slide out, but then straighten up quickly as their magnet "catches" the rails again. Magless cars will often make a couple trips to the edge of the track.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubirosa View Post
                              Hi there,

are you planning on inside borders as well? It looks like you have some 1/60 curves - the 1/24 cars will track with the inside rear wheel off the track. Depending on the car, even the 2/30 radius will cause the inside rear wheel to track half way off the track.

Just wondering...

Seb
                              I haven't noticed that being a big problem yet and it may just be the cars I've run so far but I accidentally ordered inside borders when I meant to get outside and so I may experiment with that.

Yeah, magless cars will wiggle a bit more than magnet ones. With magnet cars, they slide out, but then straighten up quickly as their magnet "catches" the rails again. Magless cars will often make a couple trips to the edge of the track.
                              Well... I won't say "Oh! no need to plan for that, I have no intention of running without magnets!" Learned my lesson there but I will say that so far, 99% of my racing is with my 3 boys and they aren't quite ready for that yet (or maybe I should say I'm not, I've just gotten to the point this year that I can race with them and am not chasing cars all over the place)

Originally posted by dw5555 View Post
                              Much better. Your cars will thank you..

Dave
                              I put stock Carrera borders on those two turns (I had a set of 1/60 borders which will do 3 curve sections) and first slide into that turn I almost dumped my new Sebring Vette between the two sections, and I do have the end pieces on. So my new Corvette is already thanking you.
                              Last edited by DRW-FJ40; 07-25-2016, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Ok, great! Let me know, when you are ready for magless in either size - I am at least ones a month in your neck of the woods and could always bring a car and controller with me....

Have fun!

Seb

Comment

Working...
                                X