I am considering going to the Dark side

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am considering going to the Dark side

Looks like we are going to try Carrera Analog for awhile. What we are wondering are there any 1/32 slot cars out there from RC,FLY,Scalextric,Slot.It,Ninco,Revell,Monogram,Va nquish,Avant,Proslot,Nsr and any other manufacturers that will not run on Carrera Analog once we set it up?
    If so what changes (if needed) need to be done to the cars to run once we are full analog with our Carrera track?

Thanks for your help
    Last edited by arizona_lew; 05-07-2016, 06:36 PM. Reason: S P E L L I N G

My limited experience says that pretty much any of those brands will run on Carrera track. It is the Carreras that will not run on other brands of track because of the large guides. Carrera track is also wide enough for 1/24 cars.

Comment

What power supply will you use?
      Stock Carrera 1/24 is a higher voltage than stock Carrera 1/32.
      The stock Carrera 1/32 would suit the 1/32 cars you list in stock form.

The guides will be OK, pretty much any 1/32 guide will fit any 1/32 track. There are some guides that need trimming to fit some tracks, but that's a non problem as it only takes a few seconds to do. For example several types of guide need trimming to work on Scalex Classic track as the slot is quite shallow, and Carrera guides need a little trimming for some types of track.

P.S. where's the dark side in any of that?

Comment

Originally posted by Al's slotracing View Post
        What power supply will you use?
        ...... P.S. where's the dark side in any of that?
        Thanks Al's slotracing

Variable power up to 20V power supply.
        I have been Digital for last couple of years (the light side) so going to analog and using other brands of cars also on the track just seems a bit dark (no lights?)
        Last edited by arizona_lew; 05-08-2016, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by retro racer 44 View Post
          My limited experience says that pretty much any of those brands will run on Carrera track. It is the Carreras that will not run on other brands of track because of the large guides. Carrera track is also wide enough for 1/24 cars.

Thanks retro racer 44
          Last edited by arizona_lew; 05-08-2016, 12:35 AM.

Comment

A variable power supply is good.
            About 12 volts is probably about right for those cars.
            If you want to experiment with taking magnets out, try going down to 10 volts.
            If the cars feel too fast or too slow, tweak the voltage till you get what feels right for you.
            Last edited by Al's slotracing; 05-08-2016, 11:17 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Sorry that you've been avoiding other brands while running digital. You could have been running those other brands as digital this whole time, if you wanted to.

But yeah, pretty much anything will run on Carrera analog track just fine, though tires might need work for their hard, slippery track.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFlippant View Post
                Sorry that you've been avoiding other brands while running digital. You could have been running those other brands as digital this whole time, if you wanted to......

We wanted to but we can't find anyone that wants to chip the Carrera cars for us. None of us are mechanically or electrically inclined

Comment

If you can solder a wire or tighten a screw, you can install a chip in any car. There's very little electrical or mechanical inclination required. You do need to be willing to TRY, though, and if everyone was too afraid to try, then that would explain it.

And a light bulb goes on over my head, helping me understand why so many analog racers refuse to consider digital, even when they like the idea. Thanks for the insight. I always figured the lengthy threads showing examples of people chipping their cars was enough, as it was for me when I first started chipping cars. I did ask for guidance sometimes, but usually the photos and descriptions were enough to get me started, and I did the rest on my own. I can't imagine you weren't aware of the Carrera chipping thread(s), so I must assume that photos and explanations were still short of the encouragement you needed to give it a go. It's unfortunate that there wasn't anyone nearby to help. I always offer to help, or even do all the work, for the members of my racing groups, if they are unable to do it.

Comment

resisting the urge...

Originally posted by MrFlippant View Post
                    If you can solder a wire or tighten a screw, you can install a chip in any car. There's very little electrical or mechanical inclination required .
                    Many of us have the skills you mention, we need them to repair and tweak our cars. But we are not car builders, we just like racing.

That's a fact often forgotten at SCI. We want to buy OEM, right out of the box. For me, some of the cars I prefer do not have room for a chip, so they are not made digital by any brand.

Racing the variety of brands the OP mentioned, his real need will be a good adjustable controller or a couple of parmas with different resisters.

Comment

Thanks MrFlippant.

I guess it is assumed then that we are afraid to try but the tries have happened. 2 chips were ruined and 1 car for some reason didn't like the switch lanes. Too much money wasted for no result = so no one here is willing to "try" again and yes they are "afraid"

Thanks for your insight tho and I guess chipping locally is not going to happen
                      Last edited by arizona_lew; 05-08-2016, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JWEBDRD View Post
                        Many of us have the skills you mention, we need them to repair and tweak our cars. But we are not car builders, we just like racing.

That's a fact often forgotten at SCI. We want to buy OEM, right out of the box. For me, some of the cars I prefer do not have room for a chip, so they are not made digital by any brand.

Racing the variety of brands the OP mentioned, his real need will be a good adjustable controller or a couple of parmas with different resisters.

Thanks JWEBDRD. We do have some adjustable controllers thathave been converted to use on Carrera digital. Looks like the racers here are looking to go for analog controllers now also. Parmas are getting hard to find for Carrera from what they have told me.

Comment

Are you taking down your digital setup? Setting up a separate analog track or converting your digital track to dual use?

The hobby has so much technical experience to offer, don't stop at the plug and play aspect. I think the dual use has the greatest flexibility. You can explore the dual box, what's it called Greg? and use after market controllers with an adjustable power supply, or chip each lane and still use Carrera controllers or separate the CU and lane jumper wires and use your own controller stations with adjustable power supply.

Comment

Originally posted by buspor63 View Post
                            Are you taking down your digital setup? Setting up a separate analog track or converting your digital track to dual use?.....

I believe one track here is staying Digital and the other is pulling his Carrera cpu track and switch tracks and replacing with the connect track and straights. Again any extra soldering etc won't be attempted on the track. We have plenty of track to replace any track that depends on digital so that is not an issue at all.

I guess there are maybe two types of people that love Carrera. One is the extreme hobbyist that loves customizing track and cars and the other that we here fall into = the person that likes straight out of the box racing with maybe tire replacement and/or guide replacement.

All in all its fun for all and that's all that matters.
                            Last edited by arizona_lew; 05-08-2016, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Ps/pm

Originally posted by arizona_lew View Post
                              Parmas are getting hard to find for Carrera from what they have told me.
                              Carrera analog, I bought an adjustable PS with a wire harness for carrera, and two Professor Motor controllers for Carrera with the plug already installed. Never had a problem, never needed additional controllers.

Comment

Working...
                              X