Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for beginner

Hi everyone,
    I'm transitioning to slot cars from the world of kyosho miniz rc cars in the hopes that my two young sons can get involved in the hobby with me. I figure that slot cars should be a much easier thing to pick up at their age. And also, slot cars are awesome. So I've been researching what's available and it's clear to me that Carerra is the best way for me to go. My current plan is to start with these two items:

The soon to be released Pure Speed Set 30191 and the Carrera 30367 Track Extension Set

I chose that set because it's got 3 cars ready to go and it also comes with a good amount of track. I chose that extension set because I really love the idea of being able to change lanes at multiple points on the track and I wanted to be able to have a little bit more track than what comes with the set. A few questions I have are:

Does this seem like a reasonable combo to get started with?
    Will I be able to integrate that extension set into the Pure Speed set pretty easily?
    Should I be purchasing tire upgrades ahead of time? I don't want the cars to slide all over and it seems like some things I've read suggest that the stock tires are not very good.
    Is there a good video/videos that I can watch to learn how to put the track pieces together and to learn the basic maintenance for the track and cars? I'm hoping to be ready to go as soon as the set arrives.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions you can offer. I'm super excited to be joining this community. Everything I've read and watched on Carerra slot cars looks absolutely amazing.

CONGRATS!!
    Welcome to Carrera digital slot racing and welcome to SCI

You're picking a really nice set that should be loads of fun for you and the boys. You didn't mention how old they are but it sounds like you feel pretty confident they will be able to handle slot cars. I have 3 sons and started my youngest son with slot cars when he was 4 years old. He did OK, but really got into it around 7 or 8, which is when the older boys were able to drive well too. I only wish digital were around when they were that age. I didn't like having to figure out ways to be sure every kid had a chance to drive back then.

Does this seem like a reasonable combo to get started with? -- Yes, perfect

Will I be able to integrate that extension set into the Pure Speed set pretty easily? -- Yes, and there are guys on this forum that can give you ideas of layouts with the track you have and the space you are using.

Should I be purchasing tire upgrades ahead of time? I don't want the cars to slide all over and it seems like some things I've read suggest that the stock tires are not very good. -- I wouldn't purchase aftermarket tires if I were you. As long as the cars run evenly the driving will be fun. And remember you can set max speed for each car individually; that might help the little guys learn car control.
    Is there a good video/videos that I can watch to learn how to put the track pieces together and to learn the basic maintenance for the track and cars? -- Assembling the track is really straightforward. It takes a little bit of effort to securely connect the track sections and the payoff is Carrera track is super smooth and consistent, the tracks stay connected, and the conductivity is great.

You can check out Carrera's Youtube page for videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/CarreraUSA/videos

Comment

That's a nice base set to start.

Depending on your available space, I'd consider adding a package of R4 curves, a fence set, and a double straight changer instead of a package that's mostly straight changers.

Comment

Congrats and welcome from Carrera of America! If you need help you can always ask here but you're welcome to call me too, i work for Carrera here in North America. 570-329-6870 is my work phone.
        Dave K

Comment

Working...
        X