Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual pit lane

How is this being done?

I'm assuming the 2nd digital lane change entrance is converted to mechanical.

What I'm looking for is this functionality so that if 1 car is in the pits the next car is forced to refuel in the other lane.

https://youtu.be/_10Pdh9RQU8

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Drewbert34; 11-21-2016, 10:14 AM.

After some thinking about this I believe I know how they did this.

Instead of wiring the lane changer normally closed they wired it normally open, then they used the innermost pit lane photocell as the trip to close the changer. Same would be true for the photocell on the innermost pit lane.

At least, this is what I have derived thus far without opening up the track and looking at it / thinking it through.

Comment

Rubirosa has a double pit on his track. Hopefully he'll chime in here and explain it to you.

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Drewbert34 View Post
        Instead of wiring the lane changer normally closed they wired it normally open, then they used the innermost pit lane photocell as the trip to close the changer. Same would be true for the photocell on the innermost pit lane.
        I think you've got it.
        Very cleverly done, as well, taking advantage of the way Carrera lane changers work.
        I appears that they moved the sensor entirely, which is good. If they had added a second sensor rather than moving the original, then it would be possible for cars to request the inner pit lane.
        The next question is, though, what happens if someone pulls into the pit and holds the LC button a bit too long? Based only on what we can see in the video, it's possible that the following car would end up in the same lane, because requesting a change would mean the flipper would stay in the straight position. There may be more going on than we can see, though.

Comment

I don't see how one could "wire" the lane changer differently, other than having a different circuit board - the electromechanical apparatus works with help of a solenoid and only operates in one direction.

[quote=MrFlippant;990450]
          The next question is, though, what happens if someone pulls into the pit and holds the LC button a bit too long? quote]

It looks to me that each car that goes into the inner lane automatically actuates the lane changer - I don't think this is manually done by pushing the LC button.
          We know that the old Carrera Pro-X lane changer are firing at all times, if used with D132/124. This could be an option, but am not sure if this would work in combination with a pit lane entry/double pit lane.

Cheers!

Seb

Comment

So I do think this is a ProX pit lane with the LED moved forward. The Pro X opens the gate when a D132 passes over it. The first car goes in straight and after it passes over the forward position (i.e. After it passes the gate, it fires the gate open for the next car. When that car goes through the gate, the mechanical trip moves the gate back to the straight position. Just made ProX pits a bit more lucrative I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyslots View Post
              So I do think this is a ProX pit lane with the LED moved forward. The Pro X opens the gate when a D132 passes over it. The first car goes in straight and after it passes over the forward position (i.e. After it passes the gate, it fires the gate open for the next car. When that car goes through the gate, the mechanical trip moves the gate back to the straight position. Just made ProX pits a bit more lucrative I guess.
              See if you have any of these and let me know when we talk about the controller charge base

Comment

Ironically, I bought one on the auction site a year ago at some silly low price thinking one day the pieces might come in handy. It's just been sitting downstairs waiting and now that you've shown me the proper use for it, it will find a home in my double pits But all is not lost, there are still plenty of older ProX lane changers out there with the same technology installed.

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyslots View Post
                  Ironically, I bought one on the auction site a year ago at some silly low price thinking one day the pieces might come in handy. It's just been sitting downstairs waiting and now that you've shown me the proper use for it, it will find a home in my double pits But all is not lost, there are still plenty of older ProX lane changers out there with the same technology installed.
                  It would seem that you could shorten up your pit lane tremendously by using these vs. the chicane lane changers you have now.

Comment

I was confused at first, but a Pro-X LC board with the sensor placed late, as Mickeyslots suggests, would work exactly like this. No one can voluntarily enter the innermost lane, but every second car through the pits will be shunted there. Pretty slick.

I have a Pro-X board somewhere at home, I may have to try this on my pit lane. I'd still leave it long, because I like having a real 'pit road' feel- but automagically choosing the bay would be the crickets tickets.
                    Last edited by b.yingling; 11-22-2016, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Hehe, that's awesome. Now there will be a quick run on Pro-X pit pieces. I'm tempted to try and get one for possible future use.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFlippant View Post
                        Hehe, that's awesome. Now there will be a quick run on Pro-X pit pieces. I'm tempted to try and get one for possible future use.

Wouldn't have to be a pit lane piece, either. Any Pro-X lane changer circuit board would work, and could easily be swapped into a D132/D124 track section, if you want to use it in an existing setup.

Comment

WOW!!!

All I can say is wow, that guy has done some amazing things with his modifications of Carrera digital track. I just tried it with a Pro-X lane changer and Yes, that's the ticket, it works exactly like that, with the exception of where the sensor is placed. And it looks like it's fairly easy to move the sensor back a few inches.

Looks like that's what I'll do on my track soon.

Comment

Yeah, but I'm not going to buy a D132 pit lane AND a Pro-X anything just to swap the electronics.

I look forward to racing on your track with this concept installed.

Comment

I have plenty old Pro-X stuff Greg, if you want anything just ask, I gotcha

Comment

Working...
                              X