New feature for HSSRMS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New feature for HSSRMS

Usually I post changes and additions to my HSSRMS software in the sticky thread devoted to the software. I thought today's information should go in a new thread here, as it may be of interest to people who don't use HSSRMS.

The next minor release will include the ability to use any device on your home network as an enhanced driver display. No need for any additional software- you just have to tell Windows firewall to let HSSRMS accept local requests on ports 14124 and 14132. On some machines, Windows will ask if you want to allow HSSRMS to connect. On others, you may need to go into Windows firewall (once) and add the exception. Make sure you set it to only accept local requests.

Then any device (smartphone, tablet, laptop, desktop- even some Smart TVs with compliant browsers) can be used as an enhanced driver display.

Very basic functionality at this point, here's a shot of my wife's Galaxy tablet:
    [IMG][/IMG]

The transport mechanism is two way and real time, so I should be able to add the ability to pop the start lights from any connected device (optional, of course), turning every enhanced driver display into a track call button.

There are some cool ideas for how to use this- you could turn off fuel gauges on the main screen, and track your fuel only from your device. Your competitors won't see your fuel level. Or choose not to display sector times- best times will still get announced (if turned on), but the main screen can be used to show other information, and your sector times will only be on your device.

There is one minor shortcoming: no way for a browser to keep the screen from turning off. But there are a gozillion apps on the Play Store to keep your screen alive. Likely exist for the appleverse as well.

This is working now, but I'll need another week or two of testing before I'll release it.
    Last edited by b.yingling; 03-21-2017, 04:35 AM.

Wow!

Comment

Bear with me for a minute.I have a flat screen tv that I was using for a monitor on my pc with Windows
      XP and running x-lap. I had downloaded your software to it, but before I had a chance to try it my pc croaked. The drivers for the tv were downloaded to this pc by a friend and it worked fine.
      I now have another pc using Windows XP, that is running x-lap. I have not downloaded the drivers for the tv to this computer yet and the tv does not recognize the computer [or the other way around]

To get to the question and not sidetrack the thread.Will this new feature allow it to connect to this tv , as like me it is not a Smart tv ?

I am going to assume that I will still have to download the tv drivers.
      Thanks,
      Randy

Comment

Originally posted by 32lbKING View Post

To get to the question and not sidetrack the thread.Will this new feature allow it to connect to this tv , as like me it is not a Smart tv ?
        No. This will work with any device on your home network that has a modern web browser. Smart phone, tablet, desktop, laptop and some smart TVs.
        Last edited by b.yingling; 03-19-2017, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Bruce! That is awesome!! It's getting more and more real!! Love the idea...

I'm in to buy 6 tablets...

Cheers!

Seb

Comment

Originally posted by Rubirosa View Post
            Bruce! That is awesome!! It's getting more and more real!! Love the idea...

I'm in to buy 6 tablets...

Cheers!

Seb
            Oh boy, another reason for you to hurry back!! This sounds interesting.

Bruce

Comment

I like this... Very much...

Comment

Originally posted by b.yingling View Post
                No. This will work with any device on your home network that has a modern web browser. Smart phone, tablet, desktop, laptop and some smart TVs.
                Thank you Bruce,
                Randy

Comment

...and the pendulum swings back in favor of PC.

Comment

Originally posted by Drewbert34 View Post
                    ...and the pendulum swings back in favor of PC.
                    LOL....glad to see you're finally coming around

Comment

Originally posted by b.yingling View Post
                      Excellent. That's what I call smart design. Practically 100% accessibility. Love it!

Comment

Originally posted by edmagner View Post
                        LOL....glad to see you're finally coming around
                        Well...

Still yet, nothing matches the simplicity of a tablet or phone method, utilizing an app. That's what works best for my g/f's son and I wish to keep him interested.

I would be willing to bet as things progress this will be a feature across many different race management solutions.

If I were racing in a club (I wish!) I would go to this. For casual fun I would still use the aforementioned.

Comment

OK. So I have it working- including the ability to pop the start lights from a remote device.

I was originally planning on releasing just like this, but I've decided to add a few bells and whistles to the original release. So two weeks later we're still a couple of weeks away from a release date.

The hard work is done, but as any of you who've ever done any thing like this probably know- the details are boring, endless, and absolutely necessary.

Comment

While testing this new feature, I happened to find some inconsistencies in the existing race end timing and scoring. So that needed to be fixed and has taken more time than I expected. Hoping to have a release by the weekend of the 23rd. Easter will likely prevent it happening this weekend.

Comment

I am sure I echo the sentiments of many when I say
                              "thanks for the information updates, and we anxiously await the fruits of your hard work in bringing us this great supplement to our racing experience"

Comment

Working...
                              X