New feature for HSSRMS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 60+hobbynut View Post
    ...The car will go past the start finish line and the lap will not be counted. I have changed settings trying different options but the problem still exists.
    Does the CU beep as the car passes? If so, what is the software setting for minimum lap?

If not: where is your CU placed in your layout? Any chance the cars are sliding out a bit and the LED is missing the sensor?

Comment

Although it hasn't finished testing yet, and may be another week or two until release- I'm very excited about the newest feature added to HSSRMS: TeamRadio (/s)

If you enable the display server on HSSRMS, any tablet, phone, or PC on your WiFi network that connects can now be enabled to not only receive lap time, position, sector, fuel, etc. information- it will also give you audio feedback. Low fuel, best lap, sector time info, etc for your selected ID will play on the connected device. The minimal setting will give you low fuel and best time information only. The normal setting will include a brief version (accurate to tenths) of all lap times, and the verbose setting will add in *all* sector times. Verbose is OK when running practice laps on a big track- personally would not recommend for racing.

The connected device must have newish versions of Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or Microsoft Edge. Safari 7 or newer, Chrome 33 and up, Firefox 49 or newer, and Edge. It does not work with IE or Opera, and the built-in browsers on android devices are hit or miss. 5 different android devices here- all work with Chrome, only one works with the built-in browser. Note- two of those android tablets are four years old, they just have updated versions of Chrome manually installed.

So grab your phone and some earbuds, turn the fuel gauges off on the PC screen and go racing!

(Not that there are many of you out there using older Carrera hardware- but this feature will work with *any* D132/D124 powerbase. Any version of CU firmware or even an old Black Box with 30342 lap counter! Of course, on a BB system all you would get are lap times.)
      Last edited by b.yingling; 01-16-2018, 06:30 AM.

Comment

Have mercy!

Take a day off.

Comment

Originally posted by kidvoltage View Post
          Take a day off.
          That's the problem- too many days off recently, and too d*** cold to do anything but play inside!

Comment

Oh man, and all this as I'm tearing down my track...

Cheers!

Seb

Comment

Originally posted by Rubirosa View Post
              Oh man, and all this as I'm tearing down my track...

Cheers!

Seb
              If Christmas and New Years came *before* Thanksgiving- it would have made it in time for last year's Turkey Day Enduro .
              Last edited by b.yingling; 01-15-2018, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Wow...awesome Bruce!!!

Comment

This will be awesome! Thanks Bruce!

Comment

The feature I always wanted!

Comment

Wow that sounds really cool But alas, I am a dinosaur and no understanding of computer terms is able to break through the brick wall in my brain [Don't bother trying to explain it]
                      I'm still using x-lap. I had your software on my other track computer, but the pc died before I could try it out. I may have to download it onto the current track computer now though as this may be too cool to pass up. I'll inquire later if I get that figured out.
                      Randy

Comment

With most of the expected code in place, I was downstairs this afternoon testing. Really fun just running practice laps and hearing my times and fuel info w/o taking my eyes off the track.

My intent was to run a few simulated races, but I just couldn't stop running laps. This really adds to the enjoyment. It really is great knowing your last lap time without having to take your eyes from the track. Cool to hear '10.5', '10.5', '10.5' three laps in a row. Followed by a 'Your best lap yet! 10.328!'

This may turn out to be the most popular in-race improvement in my software since the CU allowed us to track fuel!

Comment

Right now looking good for a release this coming weekend that includes TeamRadio.

It's working, but while in testing I've found a few unrelated minor annoyances I want to fix. I also want to tweak the frequency of announcements. My 'Normal' setting had gotten to be too busy. Too much chatter in your ears during a race. So I'm going to dial 'Normal' back a bit, but retain all those announcements for the 'Verbose' (chatty engineer!) setting

So TeamRadio will initially have 4 settings:
                          • Minimal: Just best time and low fuel announcements, with only a few other notifications.
                          • Light: Includes a brief (seconds.tenths) announcement of every lap time.
                          • Normal: Also includes more announcements re: race standing, gaps ahead/behind, etc.
                          • Verbose: Add in even more announcements, plus *all* sector times to seconds.tenths

When running practice, you will only get the lap time, sector and fuel announcements.
                          Last edited by b.yingling; 01-24-2018, 11:25 AM.

Comment

So excited about this that I dusted off my track. Thanks for bringing me back to the hobby!

Comment

Release 2.2.0.1 includes TeamRadio: If you enable the display server on HSSRMS; tablets, phones, laptops, and PCs on your WiFi network that connect to the server can now be enabled to not only receive lap time, position, sector, fuel, etc. information- they can also give you audio feedback! So bring your phone and your earbuds!

Low fuel, best lap, sector time info, etc for your selected ID will play on the connected device. The minimal setting will give you low fuel and best time information only, with very few status or position announcements beyond assessed penalties and events. The light version includes all of the minimal audio, while also adding a brief (seconds.tenths) statement of each lap time. The normal setting will include all of the light version stuff, as well as many more race position and status announcements. Status such as change in gap between you and the car in front/behind, laps closing or falling, etc. The verbose setting (chatty crew chief!) will include all of that and then add in *all* sector times and even more status announcements. When in practice mode, you get time and fuel information only. Which means verbose is OK (in fact quite fun!) when running practice laps on a big track- personally would not recommend for racing. Way too noisy. Each of the major steps- Minimal, Light, Normal, and Verbose- includes a second, slightly more talkative step, so there are eight levels of voice to choose from. Countdowns are not sent to remote devices, because each will respond differently, and likely not sync with the main computer. So best to leave sound on, turning off most announcements but letting the countdowns live.

The connected device must have newish versions of Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or Microsoft Edge. Safari 7 or newer, Chrome 33 and up, Firefox 49 or newer, and Edge. It does not work with IE or Opera, and the built-in browsers on android devices are hit or miss. 5 different android devices here- all work with Chrome, only one works with the built-in browser. Note- two of those android tablets are four years old, they just have updated versions of Chrome manually installed. If you are using Microsoft Edge (you have my sympathy), you may have difficulty connecting from time to time. For your own sanity, please install Chrome or Firefox.

This release includes a registration nag screen. It does not run every time, it will run at most one time per run of the software when you click to activate the display server. Registration fee is $6.00. The PayPal address is included on the nag screen. If you register the software, the nag screen will no longer show itself, and the state of the display server and TeamRadio will be saved each time the program closes. So a registered copy will automatically start the display server and turn on TeamRadio when the program starts. THE SOFTWARE IS STILL FREE AND ALL FEATURES WORK EVEN IF YOU DO NOT REGISTER! But registration will make startup easier.

Bug fixes and improvements:
                              • 1. When using the display server to communicate with attached devices, the information on those remote devices before the race started was not properly updated. Attached phones and tablets will now have their displayed information reset while waiting for the race start and will show accurate fuel levels while waiting for the race countdown.
                              • 2.The time used to determine if the CU has gone to sleep has been lengthened. I could not duplicate the spurious loss of communication messages that other users had reported, but the timeout was still lengthened to 3 seconds. I can't think of any downside to this, other than minor trouble if someone happens to discover their CU has gone to sleep, then turns it off and turns it back on all in <3 seconds.
                              • 3. When running more than one ghost, the software would incorrectly score the ghost one position too high when an intermediate ghost crossed the start/finish.
                              • 4. Added timing device (CU or 30342 lap counter) version info on Easy Mode start screen.
                              • 5. Better error checking when the display server fails to start.
                              • 6. The Speed and Brake drop downs on any connected smart device now show the current values as the selected value. This makes changing one or the other easier.
                              Last edited by b.yingling; 02-06-2018, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Great work, Bruce!!

So what's the scoop with Apple devices? Assuming Android software architecture easier to work with...Any path to this working with an iPhone?

Thanks

Ed

Comment

Working...
                                X