X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• b.yingling
    started a topic New feature for HSSRMS

New feature for HSSRMS

Usually I post changes and additions to my HSSRMS software in the sticky thread devoted to the software. I thought today's information should go in a new thread here, as it may be of interest to people who don't use HSSRMS.

The next minor release will include the ability to use any device on your home network as an enhanced driver display. No need for any additional software- you just have to tell Windows firewall to let HSSRMS accept local requests on ports 14124 and 14132. On some machines, Windows will ask if you want to allow HSSRMS to connect. On others, you may need to go into Windows firewall (once) and add the exception. Make sure you set it to only accept local requests.

Then any device (smartphone, tablet, laptop, desktop- even some Smart TVs with compliant browsers) can be used as an enhanced driver display.

Very basic functionality at this point, here's a shot of my wife's Galaxy tablet:
    [IMG][/IMG]

The transport mechanism is two way and real time, so I should be able to add the ability to pop the start lights from any connected device (optional, of course), turning every enhanced driver display into a track call button.

There are some cool ideas for how to use this- you could turn off fuel gauges on the main screen, and track your fuel only from your device. Your competitors won't see your fuel level. Or choose not to display sector times- best times will still get announced (if turned on), but the main screen can be used to show other information, and your sector times will only be on your device.

There is one minor shortcoming: no way for a browser to keep the screen from turning off. But there are a gozillion apps on the Play Store to keep your screen alive. Likely exist for the appleverse as well.

This is working now, but I'll need another week or two of testing before I'll release it.
    Last edited by b.yingling; 03-21-2017, 04:35 AM.

• truwebs
    replied
    With what Bruce has done with Team Radio imagine this as a feature. Could this be the future of slot car racing?

If you are like me, you spend most of your time racing family members or friends that pop over to visit. Beyond that you have the ghost car.

With internet technologies and bandwidth what they are, imagine Remote Slot Racing...

Remote Slot Racing would be you controlling your car on your track with another car set as the Remote Racer. The Remote Racer car would be controlled by some other racer at the comfort of their own personal track set up with their own car and you controlling a remote care on their end.

Obviously a major variable would be that both people have an identical track layout. Just a thought I had as related to the Internet gaming that happens today.

There are so many things we can control via the Internet, why not remote slot car racing.

Hey Carrera... you listening?

Just a fun thought!

TRU

Leave a comment:

• b.yingling
    replied
    Originally posted by edmagner View Post
    Talked to my buddy who does network stuff and he suggested I might be bumping up against the max number of devices the router could handle.
    Yea, no way it was a bandwidth issue. But some home routers are still using designs meant to provide shared Internet for three desktops.

Leave a comment:

• edmagner
    replied
    I couldn't get more than 2 remote server devices connected at a time using the global wifi...when i tried to connect the 3rd one it would whack the whole network....did a quick count and there were more than 20 widgets hooked up to the wifi, including TV's laptops, printers ipads, iphones, thermostats, etc.

Talked to my buddy who does network stuff and he suggested I might be bumping up against the max number of devices the router could handle. As soon as i set up the other router I could connect 6 devices to the remote server on the track PC and the Netflix complaints stopped because i stopped crashing the router

The other issues that may have contributed is that the global wifi router was at the far end of the house from the track PC and the signal on the track remote devices wasnt the greatest - I have a hard ethernet line running to the track PC so it worked out well to just set up another node off that hardwire feed

Leave a comment:

• b.yingling
    replied
    Originally posted by edmagner View Post
    I've set mine up to have the remote devices/Team Radio connect to a separate wifi router connected to the track PC rather than pile everything on my already overloaded wifi connection. The connections to the team radio are a lot more robust and I stopped getting complaints from "upstairs" about Netflix not working right
    This actually had an impact on your Netflix performance?!?

The bandwidth for this is unbelievably minuscule. It's a couple thousand bytes of text per second at peak (even if you have 6 or more devices connected!) except for two small images that only get fetched during track calls.

I guess some home routers may have trouble with the increased number of connections.
    Last edited by b.yingling; 04-05-2018, 08:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• edmagner
    replied
    I've set mine up to have the remote devices/Team Radio connect to a separate wifi router connected to the track PC rather than pile everything on my already overloaded wifi connection. The connections to the team radio are a lot more robust and I stopped getting complaints from "upstairs" about Netflix not working right

Leave a comment:

• b.yingling
    replied
    Originally posted by carlosinseattle View Post
    Hey Bruce does the Display server use the home wifi network? I'm asking because I'm not sure about a good wifi signal at my friend's house this weekend. The program will be on my laptop which has wifi.
    Yes it does. The display server and TeamRadio both need a local network.

Leave a comment:

• carlosinseattle
    replied
    Hey Bruce does the Display server use the home wifi network? I'm asking because I'm not sure about a good wifi signal at my friend's house this weekend. The program will be on my laptop which has wifi.

Leave a comment:

• b.yingling
    replied
    Originally posted by carlosinseattle View Post
    Hey Bruce, just downloaded latest version and registered so I can use Teamradio, thanks!!

Software is working great, display servers are good. For some reason I keep losing the Team Radio and display server connection on my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Chrome. It will connect, and I can choose a car ID, but after around 5 seconds it loses connection (Socket Closed). Works fine on the S5 using the Samsung browser and on my iPad using Chrome. Any idea about what I can do on the phone so it will maintain the connection in Chrome? If not, no big deal.
    Some setting in Chrome, I guess, but I don't know what. I use Chrome here on all the devices I test on. PCs, Samsung and LG phones, 3 different Android tablets, and now, thanks to Ed, an iPhone.

I haven't run into that quirk yet.

One warning- on the latest version, starting or stopping a race from a connected device will freeze the display on that device. You can free it by refreshing the page, but then you have to select the display size and your ID all over again. Clumsy when racing. This has been restored to proper function on the next release. Been testing a good bit, and I think it will be sometime this weekend.

EDIT: The above start/stop bug was fixed in v2.221
    Last edited by b.yingling; 04-03-2018, 11:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• carlosinseattle
    replied
    Hey Bruce, just downloaded latest version and registered so I can use Teamradio, thanks!!

Software is working great, display servers are good. For some reason I keep losing the Team Radio and display server connection on my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Chrome. It will connect, and I can choose a car ID, but after around 5 seconds it loses connection (Socket Closed). Works fine on the S5 using the Samsung browser and on my iPad using Chrome. Any idea about what I can do on the phone so it will maintain the connection in Chrome? If not, no big deal.
    Last edited by carlosinseattle; 03-30-2018, 10:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Ex Inferis
    replied
    Originally posted by b.yingling View Post
    No problem making suggestions. And a no is never eternal. There are things in there now that I said no to originally.

Of course, that still doesn't mean that *every* suggestion eventually gets adopted.
    Understood, for sure. I will continue testing your system, and I will report here. thanks

Leave a comment:

• b.yingling
    replied
    No problem making suggestions. And a no is never eternal. There are things in there now that I said no to originally.

Of course, that still doesn't mean that *every* suggestion eventually gets adopted.

Leave a comment:

• Ex Inferis
    replied
    Originally posted by truwebs View Post
    Sounds like you think might think I was scolding for my comments. Sorry if if that was the case. Not trying to send that message.

Was trying to say how awesome I think it is as FREE and others should consider throwing a donation his way if they already have not. Your car sound sounds like a fun feature. Say what you wish.

TRU

I really thought you were scolding me. Now I understand better. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• truwebs
    replied
    Originally posted by Ex Inferis View Post
    I meant that if every car has a sound, by the time it starts the final lap, it would be interesting. My MadMax Interceptor could make the sound of the turbo being activated, a ferrari could make the typical sound of the engine, an old car could make the sound characteristic of its brand and power ... They are only additional, it is nothing important for racing. But since it is always improving and adding content, I imagine it is in your interest to hear what everyone can say. As silly as it may be.

I understand what you're saying. and I thanked Bruce for his attention. But just because it's free, can not I say anything? As I said, his software is still the lightest and simplest. But it does not cost me anything to suggest improvements.

Pay or Donate, if I consider his system as the best solution for me, it's another conversation.
    Sounds like you think might think I was scolding for my comments. Sorry if if that was the case. Not trying to send that message.

Was trying to say how awesome I think it is as FREE and others should consider throwing a donation his way if they already have not. Your car sound sounds like a fun feature. Say what you wish.

TRU

Leave a comment:

• Ex Inferis
    replied
    Originally posted by b.yingling View Post
    There *is* a sound for the final lap?
    I meant that if every car has a sound, by the time it starts the final lap, it would be interesting. My MadMax Interceptor could make the sound of the turbo being activated, a ferrari could make the typical sound of the engine, an old car could make the sound characteristic of its brand and power ... They are only additional, it is nothing important for racing. But since it is always improving and adding content, I imagine it is in your interest to hear what everyone can say. As silly as it may be.

Originally posted by truwebs View Post
    Hey and it is FREE!! Not to often you get something FREE as good as this software....
    TRU
    I understand what you're saying. and I thanked Bruce for his attention. But just because it's free, can not I say anything? As I said, his software is still the lightest and simplest. But it does not cost me anything to suggest improvements.

Pay or Donate, if I consider his system as the best solution for me, it's another conversation.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X