D132 2 cars in same lane slow down when close

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D132 2 cars in same lane slow down when close

Recently I upgraded to a new power supply, but this problem existed prior to.

I don't have any power issues, having checked with a voltmeter.

One thing I have noticed (that I believe to be a issue of the system itself) is that when 2 cars are on the same lane close together, they slow down quite a bit.

If 3 people are racing and 1 car is in a opposing lane with 2 in the same lane (again, close together), there seems to be a rather noticeable power loss. In speaking with others, they too have noticed this.

Understanding resistance and power distribution, what is it I'm missing that causes this? It doesn't appear there is any way to resolve? the only thing I can think of would be to run the voltage high and reduce the speed of the cars so that it (maybe) falls under the window of reduced current?

I searched for this issue and found nothing, which was surprising.

Anywhere and everywhere on the track? Any car, any controller?

I've never seen this.

Comment

Plenty of jumpers? How long a track? A voltmeter isn't always the best tool for checking power distribution.
      Last edited by b.yingling; 04-25-2017, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kidvoltage View Post

I've never seen this.
        - 3 wireless Carrera Controllers
        - 1 wireless Frankenslot Controller
        - Any car w/caveat - I have some Carson chipped Scalextric that this didn't seem to happen with. It seems to happen with Carrera cars (cars have magnets).
        - Anywhere on track - including the straightaway with the CU...this happened last night in fact.
        - Track was cleaned

I considered the jumper situation (I have none now) but when cars are slower directly in front of the CU, I can't explain that one. Otherwise, there aren't any performance issues.

Currently all cars are on speed selector 5.

I'm going to try some jumpers tonight, but directly in front of the CU tells me something else is up.

Comment

I have noticed this on my track as well. Now I am still using the stock 1/24 power supply. I do have two sets of jumpers, though.

Comment

I have 10 jumpers on my track (large track, but still overkill) and have never noticed this problem. Guessing that will help you out to add a few?

Comment

I'll give the jumpers a shot...seems real strange though. Where it it the most obvious is maybe 3 feet from the CU directly after it.

Comment

I've never seen this.
                I'm assuming someone would have seen this before...which is one reason why jumpers are necessary?

Not being smart mind you, as I'm sure some add as a preventative measure.

Comment

Originally posted by DaFisch View Post
                  I have 10 jumpers on my track (large track, but still overkill) and have never noticed this problem. Guessing that will help you out to add a few?
                  My track is not very big. It is about 56ft.

Comment

We've got jumper clips for anyone that wants to avoid soldering directly to the track.

Comment

We've got jumper clips for anyone that wants to avoid soldering directly to the track.
                      Are they similar to Carrera jumpers? I just used the Carrera jumpers.

Comment

They are similar in that they clip into the track. But they are just clips so you can use your own lengths of wire.

We don't have them listed on the site yet so you can contact me directly if anyone has need.

Comment

Yep, I was planning on those if the need is for jumpers.

Comment

You could just run bare wire as a temp test until you get the clips. Try it from the cu to near that section you notice it in. If jumpers is the issue, you'd be able to tell real quick, I would think?

Comment

Jumpers , jumpers and more jumpers. I added one on the wood track because we noticed a fall off when running six cars close together. One power tap was not enough when taking in all the resistance the lane changes add. Afterwards, no problems. If you ever decide to make your track permanent, copper tape is great, takes some click out too.

Comment

Working...
                              X