Question for D124 racers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for D124 racers

How many legit D124 racers do we have on here? Guys, or gals, that could race all day long. Which one are you?

1)The casual, tool around the track is fun.
    2)I enjoy racing them stock with magnets.
    3)Hardcore, yank the magnets, slap on some tires and get after it!
    4)Other

How far would you travel to race with a larger group of 6-12 people?

[email protected]
    Last edited by CincySlots; 04-27-2017, 04:06 AM.

In case you guys are nervous about be first, I'll post my reply.

I'm #4. I love running these with aftermarket tires and a few chassis tweaks.

Bruce

Comment

I'm more of a #2, but will "tune" a bad runner, and install digital chips.

Comment

I'm also #4. I love running these with aftermarket tires and center magnets. However, once I get a tire truer, I will probably do away with the magnets altogether.

I would be willing to travel up to 5-6 hours.

These 1/24 cars are so much fun!

Comment

I'd say I'm a 4 as well, although there's periods, one would consider me a combination of #3 and #4.

For a multi hour endurance event, I'd travel 5-6 hours.

Seb

Comment

Originally posted by Rubirosa View Post
            although there's periods, one would consider me a combination of #3 and #4.

Seb
            I wonder who that could be?? I know we have 6-8 #3's in Cincinnati. Sometimes more.

Bruce

Comment

Cincy is a haul for me from VA and i don't currently have any 1/24 cars. I would love to get started and I'd be #3 / #4

Comment

I'm a number #4 except I'm not currently racing them Digital. We just recently held a race at Racewear on the 100'plus Ninco 6 lane track. We raced the Carrera cars along with the Scaleauto on rubber or urethane. We had 15 racers , 8 Carrera and 7 Scaleauto. Scaleauto won but Carrera cars were 2nd-4th place. We used RMS motors, no magnets at 12v. The top Carrera car was on stock tires.
                The CRL club is planning to race a class of 1/24 Carrera GT cars with RMS motors. A few of the members have digital Carrera tracksso I could see a 1/24 racing next year.
                I plan to get a Carrera digital test track set up by fall to do some testing.
                As far as travel, I'm in Maryland and one of my sons went to Dayton so I guess it's a 9 hour car ride. I would consider travelling if it was a big event especially an enduro. I race in the 24 hr BRM race at Alan's store and it was awesome.
                ? for what controller do you find works best with Carrera digital? ~Ron

Comment

I would have to put myself in the #4 category also. Even with the aftermarket tires I still leave the center mag in as it makes it so much easier to tune all the cars for the people that visit my track. With exception of 32LbKing it's mostly family and friends with no racing experience. Anyone can pick any car and they will all handle basically the same with a few exceptions.
                  I would travel a couple of hours for a day event. I think you're 6 hrs. from me and would be a touch too much.

Dave

Comment

I enjoy 1, 2 and 3.

Since I've had the only Carrera Digital track locally we haven't raced them yet but that will happen in the near future when I decide on a group of sacrificial IROC lambs.

I don't know if there is a controller that works "best" with the system, it's more a matter of style and cost. The big style choice is always trigger vs. plunger. I prefer a RamJet-X. There are others.

I once traveled to Philadelphia for a race - got whupped by a child.
                    Took another serious whupping for the team at the Fray in Ferndale in March. Small cars. Tough tracks. Not my skill set...
                    Travel to Tacoma for a variety of events including the dreaded 24 hours multiple times.

How far would I travel? Apparently beyond a sensible range.
                    Last edited by kidvoltage; 04-27-2017, 08:36 AM.

Comment

It's great to see some replies.

Controller is personal preference. For me the plunger is not the answer. I prefer the trigger.

Anyhow, we are kicking around a 6hr race and are hoping to get some out of towners. We would need at least 12. Maybe our leader will post the format. The track we would run on is insane. It has a functioning pace car to start the race, auto dimming lights to transition from day to night and back to day. Street lights while in night race mode. All 6, yes 6, driver stations are set up with 44 throttle step controllers(there's more to the steps but this is the short of it). I'm forgetting something I'm sure. Most of you have seen our race video but here it is again.

[YOUTUBE]GET_ZLY0ZyE[/YOUTUBE]
                      Last edited by CincySlots; 04-27-2017, 12:10 PM.

Comment

#3, 7.5hrs away from Cinci which pushes this into I would like to, but not likely.

Comment

#4 here. I prefer like Dave to run aftermarket tires with the rear mag removed,center magnet in for the most part.
                          Some of my cars are stock with urethanes. Some of my cars have 12v motors [RMS,PM1032,and Autoart]
                          Ocasionally my daughters fiance and I like to turn the voltage up on some of the 12v motored 917's to where they are absolute rockets on the long straight,but they are really hard to handle in the curves [no more than 1/2 throttle].Lot of fun
                          I also like to run the 1/24 hot rods without magnets [2 have Carrera 24k motors]. That's mostly by myself,because no one else seems to like 'em because they don't handle very well. But how else would a big lumber wagon handle ? I might try tuning these bricks by adding some lead
                          Lots of tire spinning and cool slides though
                          As far as distance, a couple hours would probably be my max.
                          Randy

Comment

Originally posted by 32lbKING View Post
                            I also like to run the 1/24 hot rods without magnets [2 have Carrera 24k motors]. That's mostly by myself,because no one else seems to like 'em because they don't handle very well. But how else would a big lumber wagon handle ? I might try tuning these bricks by adding some lead
                            Lots of tire spinning and cool slides though

I love these as well- although we've got the center magnet still in. They still handle terribly. Run one on the inside of a K1/60 turn? You better slow to a snails pace. Literally. An actual snail could likely beat you through that corner. On the outside. But they are some serious fun.

Comment

Originally posted by CincySlots View Post
                              3)Hardcore, yank the magnets, slap on some tires and get after it!
                              4)Other
                              On plastic, my group runs center mag and urethane tires. We run the same cars on my wood track with little performance change because of the increased grip. I cut my slots at 4.125" and it gets tight in big groups.

I'm interested in traveling, but time can be a factor. It took all day to go roundtrip to Asheville, NC and now we're planning a race in Greenville, SC. A trip to Cinci would probably be two days. Not as easy now since my brother in law moved back to Nashville.

Comment

Working...
                              X