Light Bridge Modification

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light Bridge Modification

I just purchased a DS light bridge and timing system from one of the members. The bridge is for Scalextric track. I am wondering if anyone has ever disassembled one of these and reconstructed it so that it is wide enough to accomodate borders.

From the looks of things, the verticals are PC board and they carry power to the LED's on the top horizontal. Seems I should be able to unsolder the connections top and bottom, make the necessary widening and just add jumpers to complete the circuit. Anyone done this yet? Am I heading for trouble? I know it will void any and all warranties, etc.

Thanks in advance.
    elpic

If modifying, make sure the 2 small lights on the bottom of the bridge base (goes under the track) remain aligned with the holes in the track. These lights interact with the top of the bridge. The beam needs to shine from top of bridge to bottom base. Aligning "beam" with the pre-drilled track holes is key. The cars break this beam each time around and timing is achieved. If bridge is widened, you may pull those lights out too far and out of line with the track holes, then timing will not work. Hope this helps.

Comment

Alan at Scaleracing is the complete expert on DS systems-may be worth calling him...

Comment

I don't know anything about DS systems, but it might be easier to cut up a couple borders to accomodate the light bridge than the other way round , definitely cheaper if you make a mistake.

Fred

Comment

I unsoldered my light bridge to use on my routed track. No big deal really...

Comment

thanks to everyone for all the useful information.

Comment

I had mine apart. I just extended the wiring on the one side. It can be seen on back stretch here on my old old track.

Comment

As everyone says, it's easy.

All you need is good soldering skills and you can easily extend the older DS bridges. The latest type are already adjustable so should not be needed to re-solder anything.
                Alan Smith
                SCI Owner.
                www.scaleracing.com
                www.slotcarillustrated.com
                www.facebook.com/scaleracingcenter
                www.132slotcar.us

1-253-255-1807

Comment

The bridge has been disassembled and reconstructed to fit. Everything works just fine. Will post some pics when I stop playing with the cars.

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by elpic View Post
                    The bridge has been disassembled and reconstructed to fit. Everything works just fine. Will post some pics when I stop playing with the cars.

Thanks everyone!

Guess he never stopped playing with his cars.

Comment

Whoops! Forgot about this thread. Will take some pictures.

Comment

Here is one view. Sorry about the poor quality. More in my gallery.

http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/po...ictureid=51728

Comment

Working...
                        X