DS-0128 Throttle and brake stops.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DS-0128 Throttle and brake stops.

I have spent the last few days with DS testing controllers for inconsistent full power, and on the second to last run there was an issue when the factory anodized the Throttle stop.
    The Blue anodizing can isolate the throttle stop causing a poor connection which will reduce the full speed of the controller.
    Anyone experiencing this can return their DS-0128 for service to:
    Scaleracing LLC
    5610 North 40th St
    Tacoma WA 98407.

The fix is simple and the latest production has already had this done. The factory now taps the threads on the throttle and brake stop after anodizing instead of doing this before that process. While the blue anodizing looks great is can also be an insulator creating a poor connection at full throttle.
    The cure is simple , clean out the threads and then the connection is consistent. We are happy to do this for anyone experiencing issues with their DS-0128.
    While this has been mainly seen on the throttle stop it can also affect the brake stop, if you are checking yourself removing the anodizing on this bracket where it touches the circuit board and where the screw that acts as the brake connection is also advised.
    Last edited by Scaleracing; 06-07-2014, 04:57 PM.
    Alan Smith
    SCI Owner.
    www.scaleracing.com
    www.slotcarillustrated.com
    www.facebook.com/scaleracingcenter
    www.132slotcar.us

1-253-255-1807

Tap size

Hi Alan,
    What size tap is needed?

Thanks,
    Paul

Comment

I will check and get back to you.

It is 3.30 AM here in Spain, so cannot give you the answer right now.
      But I will get back to you as soon as I can.
      Alan Smith
      SCI Owner.
      www.scaleracing.com
      www.132slotcar.us

1-253-255-1807

Comment

Mario strikes again

Comment

Alan,
          In addition to replacing the broken trigger spring, did you make these adjustments to my controller when you had it? I have used it on my track which isn't all that big, and it seems to work fine, but that wasn't the issue, it was the larger tracks where long straights and full speed were necessary.
          John

Comment

Tap size

Hi,
            Any word on the tap size?

Thank you,
            Paul

Comment

DS Controller Fixed

Hi,
              Alan informed me that the tap size for the throttle block is 3mm x .50.

I will start this with a disclaimer that I am handy but not one good with electronics but I was still able to do this in a short time with ease.

I removed the 3 screws that hold the handle together. I then pulled the handle apart and removed the one screw that holds the board on place. Also, removed the spring that is for the trigger and unscrewed the blue anodized block.

I ran the tap through a few times applying a little pressure. I also ran the tap through the two holes that hold the block to the board. I filed the anodizing off the surface of the block that the lock screw touches as well as the block surface that contacts the circuit board. Then I put it all back together.

To test I placed a car on my track with the rear wheels off the track surface and with a multimeter tested the voltage. At full throttle I was seeing 9 volts. After doing this I was at 11.7 volts. I then connected another controller and tested it and received the same results.

While Alan did offer to fix the controller without question I wanted to see if this was something I could do and did. He also informed me that DS will be resolving this issue by tapping the block after anodizing them.

Thank you Alan for standing behind the products you sell.

Paul

Comment

Glad to hear you sorted this out Paul.

We had about 48 of the DS-0128 that had this issue show up. If your brakes are not consistent and/or you do not get full power al the time cleaning the threads of anodization will fix it right away.

We are happy to do this for you if you cannot do it yourself, DS is aware and this has been resolved on the latest production, only a small batch are affected.
                Alan Smith
                SCI Owner.
                www.scaleracing.com
                www.132slotcar.us

1-253-255-1807

Comment

Alan

Could you post picture later when you have time. I basically have no brake at this time and i do have the toggle switch that was added for full brake bypass. What i have noticed over time is that certain solder joints have deposits on them. Almost looks like soldering paste. Wipes off but just seems strange.

Otherwise remains a comfortable and well built controller.

Thank you.
                  "Aloha"
                  Dale

Comment

No brake with the bypass switch ?

Dale if you have the brake pot bypass switch you should have full brakes all the time.
                    Also not sure where you are seeing the deposits can you call me to discuss.

1-253-255-1807
                    Alan Smith
                    SCI Owner.
                    www.scaleracing.com
                    www.132slotcar.us

1-253-255-1807

Comment

Originally posted by aloha View Post
                      What i have noticed over time is that certain solder joints have deposits on them. Almost looks like soldering paste. Wipes off but just seems strange.
                      Some lead-free solder alloys will develop a dull dark grey surface coating over time. If you are seeing it on most all of the solder joints, then it is likely this solder characteristic. If only appearing on a few, then I'd guess the components in those holes have ferrous leads and are slightly magnetized and pull fine metallic dust from the air.

Comment

Good news

After returning from vacation I was able to use my controller and it worked perfectly. I also, removed the anodizing and re-tapped the threads on another racers controller which was also a success

Thanks,
                        Paul

Comment

Hello--

Hate to be pest, however, I just bought my controller and got it about a week ago -- I assume that mine is from an "old' production run??

And it does a little cutting out at full throttle ---

Thanks,

Steve

Comment

Only 48 in the whole of the USA were from this batch.

What type of metal stops do you have, if anodized blue it is possible. It is very easy to clean out the threads, or send it to us and we will gladly do this for you.

Call if you have any questions 24/7 1-253-255-1807
                            Alan Smith
                            SCI Owner.
                            www.scaleracing.com
                            www.132slotcar.us

1-253-255-1807

Comment

Hello again Steve

First off I need to say you are not being a pest, we value and appreciate your support of Scaleracing LLC by buying a DS Controller.
                              We will do everything we can to help you, you can call anytime, or send back the controller and we will service, repair or replace it right away.
                              I thought I had tested all the current shipment which should not be from this batch anyway, but your controller may have got through unchecked.
                              I am curious as you say it cuts out at full throttle this is not normally the issue. If the stop is isolated you would see a lower top speed ( by about 2 volts ) but it would not cut out.
                              The last band is the screw to the back of the trigger, and here is where the anodized stop created an issue, and only because they anodized these after taping out the thread for the full throttle stop. If you clean this thread you should get full power consistently.
                              I have also removed and cleaned the base, but this is not normally an issue, also the thread for the screws that hold the stop on the circuit board can cause an issue.
                              I do not expect you to have to do this if you are not comfortable, send to:
                              Scaleracing LLC
                              5610 North 40th St
                              Tacoma WA 98407

1-253-255-1807 24/7
                              Alan Smith
                              SCI Owner.
                              www.scaleracing.com
                              www.132slotcar.us

1-253-255-1807

Comment