question about powering track

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about powering track

on the golf set i have, it has the 'single' power terminal. there are 2 ports for hooking a transformer tho. in the manual it says that you CAN hook 2 transformers for double amperage to avoid surging...how is this different than the 'dual' power terminal?

also, can you use 2 'single' power terminals on the same course? i am betting you can use any extras as regular 'unpowered' straights...but can you add power and a controller for lane A in one terminal, and a controller for lane B in the other terminal? sort of like having two driver stations at different locations, but only power from 1 of the terminals. or, is it possible to do the above, but have power and control for lane A on one terminal and power and control for lane B on the other?

hope this makes sense. i got a pretty good price on another set of track so i will have 2 each of 'single' power terminals and power supplies. and not to mention i will have 55' of track! already been playing w/ UR30 to find a layout.

thanks
    Dave

I sure hope someone who has tried it can tell us

Great question, I was going to post the exact same one, since I am building a 4 lane club track (with independent power and variable voltage), and a small "test track" for home - just 17-20 metres of 2 lane to keep me happy . . . and the wife not. I hope to do exactly that, 2 power terminals at different points, one transformer to each one, and cut whatever connections join each lane up underneath, so that each transformer ONLY supplies power to one lane, thus giving independent power supply to each lane, with out any extra costs - since my track will include a couple of "sets" plus extra track, giving me two power taps and two transformers anyway. Surely others must have tried this . . . .

Comment

that's one thing i don't understand. the ninco 'single' power terminals already have 2 DC input ports. the manual states that you can already dual power it if you choose...but i don't see how that is different than using one of the 'dual lane' power terminals. i see one major difference in the 2 if you hook up a timer device.

different brands may be configured differently. if each 'single' terminal only had 1 DC input, then i see your point of cutting the connection to one lane or the other.

i will experiment when my other terminal track and power supply arrives.

Comment

DO NOT hook two transformers into the power track that comes with the set!! The second "hole" is used for a lap counter, not for a second power supply. You won't enjoy the burning smell.

If you want to use two power supplies (so one powers the inside lane and one powers the outside lane to prevent any voltage surges when one car 'wipes ou", you MUST use the Double Power Power Base, #10401.

Think Red!
        Bob/NINCO1

Bob/NINCO1

Comment

thanks Bob,

ninco needs to fix the instruction books then! it clearly states, and shows in the pictures, 2 transformers plugged into the 'single' power track. that's why i was wondering how the 'dual' power was any different.

Dave

Comment

Dave,
            That instruction pamphlet is out of date.... also, the "Power Boosters", haven't been made in years. NINCO is aware of the need to update the booklet.

Think Red!
            Bob/NINCO1

Bob/NINCO1

Comment

A Solution

Hi Defed and Bob,

I just bought several 2nd hand sets, NOW I have Ninco !!! 35 metres to start, and another 70 metres to come for our impending club track.

SO, I immediately opened up the panel under both an older "black" power terminal, and one of the newer "red" ones. They were electrically identical.

There is no electronics, just a small circuit board to track the voltage through the direction switch and the controllers, and the two power input points are in parallel.

The board used, and for that matter, the wires from it to the track are quite light, so I can imagine the potential for burning smell if it got overloaded with 2 cars running.

Defed ALSO asked if he could use 2 power terminals as two separate stations,for guys like us who have bought 2 sets, and are only running 2 lane.

If you don't mind voiding your warrantee, I think you could do this.

Open up each power terminal, cut off the wires to ONE lane on each (inside for one, outside for the other). NOW there is only power to one lane from each power terminal. Screw the cover back on.
              Plug one transformer into each terminal.

To tidy up, just work out WHICH controller point is dead on each terminal and tape over both it and the 2nd input for a power supply. Label each terminal as "lane #" or "Inside lane" or "Outside lane"

You now have independent lane supply, with one lane powered by each power supply. More amperage available, and no surging between lanes.

Note, This WOULD void your warrantee, but if you are electrically savvy, I can't see any risk to cars, track, terminal or owner.

I intend doing this on the weekend, so if you see smoke coming from the direction of New Zealand . . . . . but honestly, it seems like "electrical common sense 101 to me"

Bob - your feedback?

Comment

i see no reason why that should not work. on the same note, you could probably make each dc input on the single terminal go to 1 lane each, if you only had 1 terminal. the direction control may not work anymore (i havent opened one up to see what's inside).

i'm sure ninco Bob will have no comment on this subject, or he would not recommend it, only to protect himself and his interests. which is completely understandable.

if you do it, it may be advisable to unplug it when you are not there, just in case!

Comment

It works

I tidied this up, and labeled each terminal track. The direction reverser switch works independently for each lane, so if you fancy head on crashes . . . . be my guest.
                  If anyone wants other pics showing the process, email me. I have shrunk them all to make for quick emailing.

Comment

corrected image URL

Comment

looks easy enough!

speaking of head on collisions....we had one anyway. my current short track comes back on itself and the outside of one lane runs next to the inside of the other. well, my car deslotted on the curve and smacked into the car in the other lane, nearly headon. my star and stripes vette suffered rear rim damage.

Comment

Defed,
                        I don't have a problem if information is occasionally bad.... I'll change it!
                        You go right ahead and use two transformers with the power track. NINCO says it's perfectly ok to do that and the instructions do not need to be changed. It'll keep the voltage the same and increase the amperage.

As for using two powerbases per circuit. NO!
                        Direct from NINCO:
                        "it is not possible to have a standard powerbase as a 400mm straigtht either use one powebase for each lane. One circuit, one powebase (standard or doublepower)"

Think Red!
                        Bob/NINCO1

Bob/NINCO1

Comment

hey Bob,

was your statement about using 2 power supplies on a single track sarcasm? or did ninco say that the instruction book was actually correct? for some reason, i took your comments as sarcasm, but you never stuck me as the type to do that, so now i'm confused!

on the 2nd point of not using a powerbase as an unpowered straight...is ninco recommending the practice of using one powerbase for powering each lane by disconnecting one lane each from 2 'single' bases as Slotsnz has done in his pics? i don't see why that won't work, but i'm not sure why ninco would recommend it either.

as always, thanks for the info Bob.

Dave

Comment

No it was not sarcasm.
                            There have been users who have experienced problems, however, you never know if it was because of a bad track due to previously heavy useage or someone using a "bigger" power supply in the second jack.
                            Fo the 99 percent who use NINCO at home with standard motors, there no reason to use a second power supply with the standard power track. The set's power supply is more than adequate to power the layout.

I think NINCO is looking at it from a practical standpoint. Why "doctor" a powerbase if you need a straight piece of track.....and if you want to power each lane, there's a power track designed to do it properly, with heavier duty components.....the Double Power Power Base.
                            As NINCO's "US Arm" , I will not condone any modification to the basic system as it was designed.

Think Red!
                            Bob/NINCO1

Bob/NINCO1

Comment

thanks Bob.

the original reason for me starting this thread was, if i have extra powerbases from buying sets, i wanted to utilize them as track pieces so as to not have to buy so many extra straights when i have all these others just sitting here. and also, as an easy way to add another driving station at another location.

i didn't intend for it to turn into a 'how to modify a powerbase' thread(altho i enjoyed the ideas presented there)...just a 'how to get more use out of what i already have' thread.

thanks
                              Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X