No announcement yet.

question about powering track

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No problem with the way the thread went... that's the good thing about these forums.....
    realistically, if all the components that make it a power track were removed, it is afterall a 40cm straight.

Think Red!
    Bob/NINCO1

Bob/NINCO1

Comment

ok bob i just bought the ninco champ set and from reading this tread we can hook up two transformers to the red power base that came with the set to avoid power surges? am asking this due to me braking my wing on my kenmore mosler due to my buddy delsoting and kiking full power and me banging into the wall. i need to get this problem fixed i dont want to brake any other cars due to power surges. if this fixes the problem that would be great!

Comment

Originally posted by vision34 View Post
        ok bob i just bought the ninco champ set and from reading this tread we can hook up two transformers to the red power base that came with the set to avoid power surges? am asking this due to me braking my wing on my kenmore mosler due to my buddy delsoting and kiking full power and me banging into the wall. i need to get this problem fixed i dont want to brake any other cars due to power surges. if this fixes the problem that would be great!

Vision,
        Thought I better jump in here before you fry something... No you must not hook up two power supplies to the red Ninco terminal track (part # 10101). Reread what Bob has said in this thread - the second connection is used to supply power to other track accessories, like the Ninco Sprint lap counter. In order to connect two power sources you will need to use the Ninco terminal track section (part # 10401), which is blue coloured.

What I suggest is that you invest in an alternate adjustable power supply* and set it to 12V. I have Ninco track at home but race with a bunch of guys who have home routed tracks, so in an attempt to make my magnet-equipped cars more non-magnet like I have removed the magnets, added some weight and run my cars on my Ninco track at 12V. It makes a huge difference in the enjoyment of driving the cars instead of squeezing the trigger and seeing how fast the thing can go before flying off the track and embedding itself into your drywall/baseboard/etc.

*1 Amp per car/lane is sufficient for most Ready-to-Run cars.

Pete

Comment

Not perfect, but it helps

I have about 50 feet of track, and was experiencing the same power surge problem.
          So, I added a second transformer, which definately helped reduce the surge, but did not totally eliminate it.
          Also, it did not create any new problems. (overheating, etc...)
          If I was not planning to go digital soon, I would buy the blue powerbase for separate power to each lane.
          (Which I might do anyway, for when I want to race analog.)

Comment

According to Bob...

Earlier in this thread, after Ninco Bob talked to Ninco, this was his response to using 2 transformers on the red powerbase.

...go right ahead and use two transformers with the power track. NINCO says it's perfectly ok to do that and the instructions do not need to be changed. It'll keep the voltage the same and increase the amperage...

Comment

Vision,

you won't fry anything! Don't worry.... however, what you want is the 10401 double power base and a second power supply. This way, one power supply powers only the inside lane and the other powers the outside lane....and that ends the surge problem. But remember, you will need two 10306 adapter plugs so the controllers will be able to plug into the double power base.

LegoPete's suggestion about a variable power supply makes sense too. We use variable power supplies (our MRC Tech-4 train tranformers) when we do trade shows where lots of kids will be present..... by controlling the voltage, a 4 year old can squeeze the trigger all the way and will never "launch" the cars.
              Although, it is not uncommon for us to see hundreds of the latest cars getting destroyed when the "adults" race...... until I started using the 10220 Safety Walls!!

Think Red!
              Bob/NINCO1

Bob/NINCO1

Comment

Tuna Kahona

Oh You Think Your Bad *** Don't You Tuna

Comment

disregard that last post sorry! hey guys thanks for all ur help with this power situation. will have to purchase the 10401 double power base to get this thing under control the right way.
                  and the and the two 10306 plug adapters. Bob thanks for taking the time again to help out with our questions.
                  vision34
                  always thinking! RED

Comment

Enjoy!!

Think Red!
                    Bob/NINCO1

Bob/NINCO1

Comment

Working...
                    X