erratic car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• erratic car

I have a chipped Scaley car that was working fine. Now it surges, with or without a controller plugged in. It acts like someone is pushing the trigger, releasing it, waiting a couple of seconds and doing it again. This happen to anyone else? Or is it a new one......I emailed MRC and am waiting their reply, maybe there is a fix........anybody???

I would pull the body off and check to be sure the wires aren't touching at all anywhere. Check where you have the wires into the chip and on the guide.

Wes

Comment

I had one do that. Pull the chip and really look it over. You might have a tiny strand of copper laying accross the chip some where. if that is good I had a loose wire connection to the chip itself that I had to resolder.

Comment

Thanks guys, tried em both, nothing fixed yet, I am still plugging away tho......

Comment

Talked to Bob on the phone today, sent the chip to him for tests and ideas.....will update you guys when I hear back.....

tbrus

Comment

If an N-Digital track hasn't been used for awhile (3 or more days), the cars don't respond to the throttle inputs correctly. This must be due to dust build up on the track that keeps the digital signal from communicating with the cars. In this case, clean the track and braids. Then do a few slow laps in each lane.

Best regards,
            Brian

Comment

BRS,
              Your explanation although sound, could be caused by time not being used and by amount of time it's used:
              Model railroading layouts that use DCC (digital) require cleaning more often than a DC layout, due to dirt, carbon, oxidation, dust buildup on the track that can cause an interruption of a clean signal to the locomotives decoder chip. Erratic operation of the locomotive happens. Railroad guys know this from experience and regularily clean their track and locomotive wheels.... (if they're lazy) they even have special railroad cars that clean the track as the car is pulled by the locomotive around the track.

With slots, we have carbon buildup on the braids and the position of the braids becomes more critical....with non digital systems, we don't even realize that we're squeezing the controller trigger a bit more, and also that the car is going a bit slower than it was, 200 laps ago. With Digital, that carbon buildup can cause erratic operation, and so can braids that are laying flat against the slot guide. Cleaning the braids regularily and also wiping the rails (you'll see how much black carbon there is) should be done regularily with any digital system.

Think Red!
              Bob/NINCO1

Bob/NINCO1

Comment

Originally posted by NINCO1 View Post
                BRS,
                Your explanation although sound, could be caused by time not being used and by amount of time it's used:
                Model railroading layouts that use DCC (digital) require cleaning more often than a DC layout, due to dirt, carbon, oxidation, dust buildup on the track that can cause an interruption of a clean signal to the locomotives decoder chip. Erratic operation of the locomotive happens. Railroad guys know this from experience and regularily clean their track and locomotive wheels.... (if they're lazy) they even have special railroad cars that clean the track as the car is pulled by the locomotive around the track.

With slots, we have carbon buildup on the braids and the position of the braids becomes more critical....with non digital systems, we don't even realize that we're squeezing the controller trigger a bit more, and also that the car is going a bit slower than it was, 200 laps ago. With Digital, that carbon buildup can cause erratic operation, and so can braids that are laying flat against the slot guide. Cleaning the braids regularily and also wiping the rails (you'll see how much black carbon there is) should be done regularily with any digital system.

Think Red!
                Bob/NINCO1

First post...
                I registered here because my sons are facing some disappointments and troubles with their N-Digital track, and I hope with your help I will fix those troubles soon.

Could you recommend a way/product to clean the track, and to clean the braids ?

I find the controller too brutal on acceleration, and sometimes keeping the gas opened a bit when decelerating. Should I change the spring for a stronger one ?

Can the magnet interfere with the chip ?

We tried the NC5 Japan GT cars, and then old NC2 GT-FIA cars, and it seems the NC2 is a bit smoother. Any recommendation as to which cars/engines are best fit for the Digital system ?

Thanks for your help, and sorry if my English is not quite accurate : not my mother tongue...

Jarno

Comment

Jarno,

Your English is perfect!
                  There are lots of cleaning methods, and the guys will hopefully jump in with the way that works best for them....
                  BRS is certainly a good source as info as are many of the guys that are on this forum.

For the braids, I like to use an old soft toothbrush and some NINCO Track Conditioner (80905A). If I don't have that available, ordinary rubbing alcohol (from Walgreens or CVS, etc) works too. Clean the braids in one direction from front to back until the carbon/dirt/dust is gone.
                  The track conditioner is for the rails and the alcohol is good too. Guys will also use WD40 on the rails and thats the preferred method at the worlds largest racetrack. NEVER use an abrasive on the rails!
                  Be sure no metal is touching the chip, and that includes the magnet. Magnetism will not affect the chip.
                  Do not leave the braids flat against the slot guide.... angle them down 25-45 degrees and make the edges a bit "frayed".
                  The NC-2 motor has less power than the NC-5 and as a beginner is a bit easier to handle. But you will get used toi the NC-5. Young children will find the NC-2 easier, but will still take time to get used to the trigger. Changing the spring on the controller will not help, and you should not open the controller because of the warranty.

Think Red!
                  Bob/NINCO1

Bob/NINCO1

Comment

Wow ! a very quick and detailed answer, with a flattering compliment on my English ! How could I possibly expect more ?

Many thanks Bob.

We will be getting the chips properly back in my kids' beautiful Nippon GT NC-5 cars, and cleaning everything as recommended, and I hope this will improve the situation. Maybe some oil on the controllers' trigger axle won't harm too (and no warranty issue I presume ;-).

Now, I have asked my dealer whether he would accept to change my 104 base for a 105, which he accepted immediately, but he mentioned it will oblige him to check the bases he has in stock to try and find a 105 one. As I don't want to bother him unless it is worth it, could you explain me what benefits we can expect from the change ?

Thank you again, and for your numerous contributions to this forum. Really very much useful indeed !

Comment

Jarno,
                      Where do you live??

Thank you for your kind words.
                      The information about the discrepancy in some of the 104 bases has been covered extensively in other threads and posts.
                      I am not looking to start another series of posts in this thread and again open up controversial subjects. (Guys, please!!!)
                      The discrepancy does not cause a safety problem or an operational problem that limits the use of N-Digital. Two of the functions (amateur & professional) that change the feel of the controller were programmed in reverse, but each function can still be used. Some people with the problem have chosen to return their console, but most have not.
                      You should not put oil on the trigger "axle" as you suggest, however,some people put a small drop of silicone lubricant or grease on the axle. But remember, you should not open the controller due to warranty issues.

Think Red!
                      Bob/NINCO

Bob/NINCO1

Comment

Originally posted by NINCO1 View Post
                        Jarno,
                        Where do you live??

Thank you for your kind words.
                        The information about the discrepancy in some of the 104 bases has been covered extensively in other threads and posts.
                        I am not looking to start another series of posts in this thread and again open up controversial subjects. (Guys, please!!!)
                        The discrepancy does not cause a safety problem or an operational problem that limits the use of N-Digital. Two of the functions (amateur & professional) that change the feel of the controller were programmed in reverse, but each function can still be used. Some people with the problem have chosen to return their console, but most have not.
                        You should not put oil on the trigger "axle" as you suggest, however,some people put a small drop of silicone lubricant or grease on the axle. But remember, you should not open the controller due to warranty issues.

Think Red!
                        Bob/NINCO
                        I live in France Bob, and I will probably keep the 104 base and advise my kids to chose "pro" instead of "am", and check out the other posts and threads...

Thanks for your help

Jarno

Edited March 1 :

OK I found the 104 vs 105 info, and a very useful chart made by ... gosh I forgot who did this Thanks to him anyway, great job...

Now we have cleaned everything, and one car is functioning, but the two others still have problems :

- One cannot change lanes, except unexpectedly by itself, and its laps are not counted if we set up a race; it is finally functioning like a non digital car on a non digital track;

- The other tends to stop by itself on the pit lane change, sometimes, but not always, and it also stops when I press the change button, wherever the car is on the track, but not always... But is has none of the problems met with the other car...

I will check the chip installation (again !) to make sure there is no short, but basically I have to say this Ninco Digital thing has caused more deception than amusement for my kids... and taken out a tremendous amount of time and money from me !

It is very much likely that, if we do not find a solution very soon to have these cars and the track perform as they should, my elder son will dismantle the digital parts and get back to plain slot racing fun with the analog stuff, his brothers and him using all their cars without drama.

We have been waiting for this digital conversion for months, and now that it's here it does not work properly, with defective base, defective user guide, poor controllers, and even a partial functionment requires unbelievable efforts for a limited amount of fun indeed.

Sorry for being so pessimistic, but I get tired of all this mess, and of having my kids hopeful each time we try something new, and deceived when they realize their beautiful (and expensive) digital track is still not fulfilling its promises, far from it.

Considering I am the one who has told them about digital tracks, showed them the DaVic system at the club and during the 24 hrs race of Le Chesnay near Versailles, and somehow convinced them to ask all these expensive bits and pieces for XMas, I feel guilty towards them and I don't like that AT ALL !

Ninco have definitely screwed up big time, and they are pretty lucky to have a distributor like MRC and a NincoBOB in the US, by far more professional and helpful than Ninco Spain themselves...

They are also lucky to have customers like all of you guys, incredibly skilled and helpful, and patient

Many thanks to you all !
                        Last edited by Jarno; 03-05-2007, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Jarno,
                          Please send me your email address and I will pass it to NINCO in Barcelona for more local assistance.

Think Red!
                          Bob/NINCO1

Bob/NINCO1

Comment

Fix in progress...

Last week my dealer told me he would accept to exchange the base, and supply a free chip in replacement of the seemingly defective one. The 105 bases were supposed to be received on Saturday, March 10.

I went there in the morning, with my 104 base and the defective chip, but it appeared that the distributor finally refused to have the base exchange made outside his premises, so I went back home with a new chip, but without a base to test it...

The 105 should be in next week, so I'll be back then... and keep you posted, especially if everything works, because it's too easy to post only to complain.

And, again, thank you Bob !

Comment

Fix in progress...

Last week my dealer told me he would accept to exchange the base, and supply a free chip in replacement of the seemingly defective one. The 105 bases were supposed to be received on Saturday, March 10.

I went there in the morning, with my 104 base and the defective chip, but it appeared that the distributor finally refused to have the base exchange made outside his premises, so I went back home with a new chip, but without a base to test it...

The 105 should be in next week, so I'll be back then... and keep you posted, especially if everything works, because it's too easy to post only to complain.

And, again, thank you Bob !

Comment

Working...
                              X