How about a 'Lane Expansion Kit'?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How about a 'Lane Expansion Kit'?

It sure would be nice to have a lane expansion kit that, when coupled with a 'Pit-Lane Kit', would allow the track to fan-out beyond 3 lanes. I'm thinking that 2-piece kit, consisting of a 'mirror image' (connection-wise) of the entry & exit pieces of the 'Pit-Lane', would the trick.
    I guess having 'single lane' straights (to extend the third/pit lane) would be nice too.

Here's a scan of the 'Pit-Lane Kit' (courtesy of: http://www.sportcraftcars.com)

Here's the my idea for a 'Lane Expansion Kit':

And here's an an example of expanding from 2 to 4 lanes, and back down to 2 lanes:

HookEm.
    Last edited by HookEm; 02-01-2007, 01:04 PM.

i proposed the same idea a few weeks back (with drawing from UR30 ), but i didnt think to have a pack of just the 'pit lane entry/exits'.

http://slotcarillustrated.com/portal...highlight=lane

i figured if you wanted to do it, just use 2 pit lane kits. if there was a kit for just the entry/exit, it could probably be sold for 1/2 the price of the full kit, since it doesn't need to do the pit functions, just provide lane change abilites.

i'd REALLY like to see the pit lane offered w/ the entry/exit reveresed, so it can be done on either (or both) sides of the track. that should be a relatively simple matter for ninco to accomplish...possibly even for do it yourselfers.
    Last edited by defed; 02-01-2007, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by defed View Post
      i'd REALLY like to see the pit lane offered w/ the entry/exit reveresed, so it can be done on either (or both) sides of the track. that should be a relatively simple matter for ninco to accomplish...possibly even for do it yourselfers.

I had this on my wish list because it would allow me to place the pit lane on either side of the track

Comment

Originally posted by defed View Post
        i proposed the same idea a few weeks back (with drawing from UR30 ), but i didnt think to have a pack of just the 'pit lane entry/exits'.

http://slotcarillustrated.com/portal...highlight=lane

i figured if you wanted to do it, just use 2 pit lane kits. if there was a kit for just the entry/exit, it could probably be sold for 1/2 the price of the full kit, since it doesn't need to do the pit functions, just provide lane change abilites.

Defed,
        Yeah, your rendition: http://slotcarillustrated.com/portal...59&postcount=8
        would only work by adding track pieces with 'mirrored' (flipped horizontally) connection tabs, as shown on my proposed 'lane expansion kit'.
        And, I agree with you, a nice next step would be to have left-side-of-the-track options as well (yet another 'mirror' image - flipped vertically).

Of course, the issue of needing to 'mirror' connection tabs (as it's also required on the LC for the 'yet-to-be-released' multi-lane kit) could be resolved by re-designing the connectors (so that there's a male & female on each junction, rather than 2 males on one side & 2 females on the other). Scalextric took that step when they released 'Sport Track', and that really simplified expansion possibilities (all pieces just play together!).
        I don't know if Ninco will go that route, as they expand their 'Digital' offerings, but it certainly wouldn't shock me. If they do, they'd need a conversion straight (just like the Scaley 'Classic-To-Sport').

Here's wishing!
        HookEm
        Last edited by HookEm; 02-01-2007, 10:35 AM.

Comment

i see what you mean now hookem. i didnt study the connections closely enough to see that their orientation is a little funky. when i made my original posting, i hadn't seen the pics that you have, so it was all speculation on how it would connect.

Comment

Never mind, a Left-Hand Pit-Lane is the real answer...

On second thought, a Left-hand Pit-Lane Kit, combined with the existing Right-Hand Kit, would allow for fanning out from 2 to 4 lanes, and back down to 2, on either side of the track (basically, a Left-Hand Pit-Lane would take care of the 'mirror' issues on the connections, and it would look like this:

HookEm

Comment

Simple solution for male - female connectors problem

Originally posted by HookEm View Post
              ....I'm thinking that 2-piece kit, consisting of a 'mirror image' (connection-wise) of the entry & exit pieces of the 'Pit-Lane', would the trick.
              I guess having 'single lane' straights (to extend the third/pit lane) would be nice too.

Here's a scan of the 'Pit-Lane Kit' (courtesy of: http://www.sportcraftcars.com)

HookEm.
              Hi HookEm,
              The human brain (proven!!!) always has a hard time coping with the easier solution.
              The easier solution which requires "no modifications is as follows:

You start of with 2 lanes and want to fan out to 4 lanes:
              1 PLC (pit lane entry track piece)
              1 SLC out to in (female connector fits on male pitlane entry piece connector!!!)
              1 regular straight
              ... (ADD as many regular track pieces as you have room on your long straight)
              1 regular straight
              1 SLC in to out (male connector will fit on female pitlane exit piece connector!!!)
              Et voila, back to 2 lanes

And for a full blown 8 car (4 stalls or 2 cars per team) you would use:

1 SLC out to in (female connector fits on male pitlane entry piece connector!!!)
              1 1/2 straight
              1 XLC
              1 1/2 straight
              1 XLC
              1 1/2 straight
              1XLC
              1 1/2 straight
              1 SLC in to out (male connector will fit on female pitlane exit piece connector!!!)

Trust me, my brain is 100% analytical (LOL). Even my wife says I have no emotions!!!
              Tomorrow I'll post part 2 of the solution as it will allow you to add a "dedicated track/parking space for a Pace Car" without having to remove the car from the track!!!

Comment

Deltart, please draw it up...

Originally posted by deltart View Post
                Hi HookEm,
                The human brain (proven!!!) always has a hard time coping with the easier solution.
                The easier solution which requires "no modifications is as follows:

You start of with 2 lanes and want to fan out to 4 lanes:
                1 regular straight
                ... (ADD as many regular track pieces as you have room on your long straight)
                1 regular straight
                Et voila, back to 2 lanes
                I think you may have missed a small detail... Using an LC as an entry (going from lane 3 up to 4), would be 'ugly looking', but OK from a functional stand-point. But, the problem is with using an LC as an exit (going from lane 4 down to 3): What if your car misses the lane change? Answer: the car will continue on lane 4 & will be off the track!

HookEm
                Last edited by HookEm; 02-03-2007, 08:49 PM. Reason: Add picture

Comment

I think you may have missed a small detail... Using an LC as an entry (going from lane 3 up to 4), would be 'ugly looking', but OK from a functional stand-point. But, the problem is with using an LC as an exit (going from lane 4 down to 3): What if your car misses the lane change? Answer: the car will continue on lane 4 & will be off the track!

HookEm
                  Hi HookEm,
                  Thanks for drawing up the first part of the solution (clearly proves it works as I envisioned it).
                  Now here is part 2 of the solution. Part 2 was trying to solve the issue of the Pacer Car. "How do you get the Pacer Car back in the position where it started without having to pick it up and manually putting it back on its starting position?"
                  Where you have the "open" connectors on the 2 SLC's start adding single curve lane sections and single straight lane sections:
                  option 1: hook these up on the opposide side of your lay-out OR
                  option 2: create a single lane oval so the Pace Car after use can enter the pit, take the oval single lane round-about and position itself again on the spot it started!!!

RED = oval loop OR
                  BLACK = connection to opposide part of lay-out

That way you can park a Pacer Car with ID #8 to the right of the pitlane and either enter it on the extended 4 lane or have it go straight and take the single lane loop that guides you either to the opposite side of the track lay-out or to its original parking spot.
                  Let me know if this makes sense?

Comment

I'm confused!

Hi HookEm,
                    Thanks for drawing up the first part of the solution (clearly proves it works as I envisioned it).
                    We're obviously not on the same page... But that's OK, keep at it, I'm sure you will come up with a clever & feasible solution. I'm just not sure what your ultimate goal is... I thought you wanted dual pit-lanes, like this:

But the 'Pacer Car' stuff threw me for a loop (pun intended)

For lack of having single-lane track pieces, perhaps a dual-lane return loop may work?

HookEm
                    Last edited by HookEm; 02-04-2007, 11:23 AM. Reason: Add picture

Comment

Bingo - A Clean & Usable Solution!!!

That's exactly how I envisioned it!!! Man, HookEm you are good!!!
                      And if someone misses their pitstop they merely use the loop and try again (LOL)

Not sure where the confusion arose with the Pace Car. I was merely looking for a spot to park the Pace Car when not in use and also for a way to get the Pace Car back in that spot after it had been used. So that's where the loop idea came from

By the way, what drawing program do you use? I think it is time for me to upgrade.

Comment

I'm using TrackPower

By the way, what drawing program do you use? I think it is time for me to upgrade.
                        Those shots were taken with TrackPower v1.5 (about $20.00). The track pieces I used were from the SCX library (the Ninco library does not include the Pit-lane pieces yet - coming soon!). To take a snap-shot of a layout in TrackPower, use the 'Copy Image' tool (Camera icon), which copies the image to the clipboard, and from there you can paste the image to your favorite paint/drawing program (I just use the generic 'Paint' tool in Windows).

You can download a trial-version of TrackPower here:
                        http://www.trackpower.net/english.htm

HookEm
                        Last edited by HookEm; 02-04-2007, 01:26 PM. Reason: more info.

Comment

We're obviously not on the same page... But that's OK, keep at it, I'm sure you will come up with a clever & feasible solution. I'm just not sure what your ultimate goal is... I thought you wanted dual pit-lanes, like this:

HookEm
                          Correct but the problem was that the 2nd PLC would not fit on the first PLC (male - male connectors!!!). So I decided to make a small change to the pitlane drawn above by replacing the 2nd PLC with a regular SLC (female to male connectors work). But like you pointed out the solution was not that clean with the 2nd lane on the left and right open.
                          So the 2nd part of the idea was to combine the Pace car problem (where do you park it after you have used it during a race?). So the idea of the loop came and that then made it a nice and clean solution in combination with the true 2 lane pitlane.

Whilst looking at the true 2 lane pitlane solution it turned out that we could also use it to go from 2 to 4 lanes on a 2 lane lay-out.

So the only problem still outstanding is the "symmetrical 2 to 4 lane solution". I personally think that RichG made a solid comment by suggesting removal of the LC's from the in pieces and transferring them to the out pieces to make a left hand entry. Do you have a picture of the back of the pitlane LC's?

Comment

No, I don't...

Do you have a picture of the back of the pitlane LC's?
                            I don't have a pit-lane kit. It doesn't seem compelling to me at this point:
                            1) From what I've read, the fuel consumption algorithm is kind of lame (needs work)
                            2) There are no single-lane track pieces, so the kit can't be used to extend a 3rd lane

So, I'll just wait & see what develops (Ninco has a great platform, so I'm sure many good things are yet to come).

Think Red!
                            HookEm

Comment

Working...
                            X