Newbie Needs Track Design Ideas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Needs Track Design Ideas

Hello, just got back into this great hobby over the last few months. I started with a Ninco Mastertrack asphalt setup, but now I have also aquired a Ninco Pro Am set and I am stumped trying to come up with a good track layout! I am in a situation now where room is not a problem, so I want to try and avoid having any crossovers/bridges if possible. Any one have any good links for tracks that I have enough or close to enough track to build?

colognecapri,
    Welcome to SCI. For inspiration you might want to start with a look at this site. Since you are using Ninco track you might want to pick up a copy of their track design software, Trackmap. Here is a review of it - great bang for the buck. Then check out the Track, Layouts & Scenery section of the forum for loads more ideas.

Pete

Comment

Thanks for the welcome, I had already been checking out that site, I think I am going to try and test out some of these layouts.

Comment

Colog,
        Welcome to the forum..... as you've seen from Lego's response, this is the place for anything NINCO. The guys will be helpful, and you'll get everything from simple to complex answers and information. The MT Asphalt and ProAm are nice sets on their own, but with a combined length of about 73 feet, you should be able to come up with a great layout, probably using about 18 X 6 feet of space.

Think Red!
        Bob/NINCO1

Bob/NINCO1

Comment

Whoops, I thought you said you had the master asphalt and the digital master. So I combined them into one.

Comment

So just think, with the 2 master tracks combined, add the digital expansion set for the chips and LC sections, 6 cars and you can go out of your friggin mind on this layout!

Comment

here's my old track i did with the pro/am and master kits

Comment

Thanks for all the responses, I really appreciate it! Anyways, what do you guys think of a layout like Jonnyc's with all the "zigzagging" chicanes? Expanding the mastertrack is a challenge with all of the tight turns it has.

Comment

that was the problem i had.all the r1 turns. i played around with them for awhile and figured out i could stagger them into "s"es and use them more as straights.if you take the half r1 turns and use them at each end it will give you a straight shot.
                  you'll be surprised on how well the cars will take the "s"es.on my current track i have 14 r1's staggered into 1 long "s" section.the cars go through it almost as fast as normal straights.
                  on that track we would run around 6.10-6.30 lap times with ninco nsx,supra,350z cars
                  Last edited by jonnyc; 03-10-2007, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Nice layout and nice table Jonny.......

Think REd!
                    Bob/NINCO1

Bob/NINCO1

Comment

Ok, have made a few different track layouts, every since I was young I have always wanted to make a huge slot car track and now I finally have been able to. I used to be an avid indoor carpet RC car racer, and the big slot car track kind of gives you the feel of that. My Scaley Boxters can fly of the track pretty impressively if you leave your braking to late at the end of the long straightaway!

I have two other questions, if anyone can help?

1) Because I have two power transformers, I have hooked both of them up. Since I also have two power base tracks should I hook them both up to the same power base or to the seperate pieces of track. It seems like if I plug in one of the transformers in only on the right side of the power base, it doens't put power to the track, the socket however works fine on the right side.

2) I am right in thinking that the Ninco Sprint lapcounter comes with a short straight that the lap counter plugs into. Also, this lap counter only counts laps with no times, correct?

Thanks in advance for your help, this message board is great!

Comment

Originally posted by colognecapri View Post
                        Ok, have made a few different track layouts, every since I was young I have always wanted to make a huge slot car track and now I finally have been able to. I used to be an avid indoor carpet RC car racer, and the big slot car track kind of gives you the feel of that. My Scaley Boxters can fly of the track pretty impressively if you leave your braking to late at the end of the long straightaway!
                        I used to race an RC12L many moons ago. Went to Cleveland US Nationals a few times - that was fun.

I have two other questions, if anyone can help?

1) Because I have two power transformers, I have hooked both of them up. Since I also have two power base tracks should I hook them both up to the same power base or to the seperate pieces of track. It seems like if I plug in one of the transformers in only on the right side of the power base, it doesn't put power to the track, the socket however works fine on the right side.
                        If you are running a two lane track you will only need one power transformer for the whole setup. Ninco has the best conductivity of all the plastic track so multiple power taps are not needed. If you want to get rid of the power boost effect that happens when running two cars at the same time and one stops or deslots then you will need the double power base track (Ninco part number 10401), which has a blue coloured interface - normal power tracks have a red (or sometimes black) interface.

2) I am right in thinking that the Ninco Sprint lap counter comes with a short straight that the lap counter plugs into. Also, this lap counter only counts laps with no times, correct?
                        Yes, the Sprint lap counter is just that - a lap counter. The Ninco Pole Position unit is a lap counter and timer, but is no longer available - it has been replaced(?) with the N-Scorer unit, which has just become available. It is like the Carrera lap counter/timer in that it sits over the track like a bridge.

Thanks in advance for your help, this message board is great!
                        Pete

Comment

cologne,
                          The Sprint lap counter only counts laps or time in 1 minute intervals (no seconds).
                          The new N-Scorer lap counter, 10409, doesn't plug into the track, uses internal AA battery power, and bridges the track wherever you want to put it. Has sound, lights, laps, time to hundredths of a second, fastest lap, etc.
                          Follow legopete's guidance about the power tracks.

Think Red!
                          Bob/NINCO1

Bob/NINCO1

Comment

Thanks for the answers! Legopete, I really enjoyed RC racing as well but I just don't have time for it right now. I had an old mid 90s Scalex set I broke out and got the slot car bug again, then I tried SCX digital and wasn't very impressed. I sold both of those sets on Ebay (for suprisingly good money!) and I then got the Ninco setup and haven't looked back.

Anyways, it looks like plugging in both transformers is pointless unless I get the blue power base. I didn't realy take the time to look underneath the powerbase track to see how it was wired up.

The only other question I have is that I have been looking at some track plans that list the different styles of curves, but I want to make sure I know which are which before I go and start ordering extra track. Am I right in thinking that there are only four types of Ninco asphalt track TURNS availble?
                            Does
                            R1=Inner Curve
                            R2=Outer Curve
                            R3=Standard Curve
                            R4=Outer Outer Curve
                            I might be totally wrong, so enlighten me if I am.

Comment

colo,
                              let me jump in here.........
                              there are six curved sections of NINCO track:
                              R1 1/2 Inner Curve 10113
                              R1 inner Curve 10106
                              R2 1/2 Standard Curve 10112
                              R2 Standard Curve 10105
                              R3 Outer Curve 10107
                              R4 Grand Curve 10108
                              you can build an 8-lane layout with these.
                              Each comes two in a pack.

Think Red!
                              Bob/NINCO1

Bob/NINCO1

Comment

Working...
                              X