Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vintage cars

Hi Gorp,
    The Maserati and Vanwall still challenge me. I have not yet figured out how to tackle these cars. And of course the Carrera F1 cars. I have opened them at least five times and each time put them aside again.
    Racing wise "single car" qualifiying times remain close to analog times but the race itself is way slower. With 6 racers/6 cars the laptimes almost go up 50%. To work your way around 5 other cars is clearly way more difficult on a Digital track.

Comment

thats why

digital is more fun

Comment

Originally posted by deltart View Post
        Myth #4: Involuntary lane changes
        Once again, I only race F1 cars and most of them with Ninco Roswell chips and I have not encountered these involuntary lane changes. The few times I had an "involuntary" lane changes I immediately stopped the race (just push the start button once), walked over to the LC that caused it and noticed that the plastic LC flap was stuck in the open position.
        You realize, of course, that this statement is equivalent to "Bigfoot does not exist. But the few times I HAVE encountered Bigfoot..."

Just last night I ran into that for the first time. I had run three straight laps on the inner lane, and intended to run a fourth. I was nowhere near the lane change button, there was no beep to indicate a lane change, and the car changed lanes. It only did it once, and went back to working properly.

This is great and useful stuff. I do hope you're aware that what you're describing is very similar to the complaints of purchasers of Fly cars -- it takes too much fiddling to get the cars to run. Of course it's possible -- but that doesn't mean that's what Joe Average wants to do with his free time.

You paint a very good picture for the hobbyist who is totally dedicated to slot car racing, but for the moment, and for the reasons you have illustrated, digital is not prepared to push analog into the garbage heap (yet). It will take some serious evolution before that happens.

But please DON'T make claims that the cars don't get damaged more. Digital introuduces a high probability of high speed 'nose-to-tail' crashes. With analog, when a driver stops to marshal a car, he only needs to be aware not to park in the curves. On a digital layout, no matter where his car stops, he's in danger of being plowed into -- and on the straights, he gets hit at full bore. ANYTHING that introduces a new hazard will cause more damage to cars. Congratulations to you for not damaging your cars -- but I can assure you, not everyone will have that same experience. Just the way I don't knock the mirrors off my cars, I'm fully aware that mirror destruction is a common event for most people.

Now if you don't mind, I'm going back to a little N-digital driving with my chipped no-mag Pink Kar Ferrari 250 GTO.
        Last edited by ElSecundo; 04-10-2007, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Call me stupid but where is the fat resistance on the ninco digital chip?
          You removed it??

Comment

Originally posted by Kinderfeld15 View Post
            Call me stupid but where is the fat resistance on the ninco digital chip?
            You removed it??
            Read all about it in:

OUTLANDISH CLAIMS in Ninco and the Roswell crash
            http://slotcarillustrated.com/portal...ad.php?t=11249

Comment

The learning curve is steep but so rewarding!!!

Originally posted by ElSecundo View Post
              ....I was nowhere near the lane change button, there was no beep to indicate a lane change, and the car changed lanes. It only did it once, and went back to working properly....
              I would call this "a close encounter of the first kind". To me this means that the LC flap got stuck in the open position after your 2nd lane change. Your car came around, hit the open LC, changed lanes involuntary and the LC flap freed itself and the spring closed it.

With "a close encounter of the 2nd kind" the same LC keeps getting stuck over and over and that's when slightly loosening the screws on the back of the LC cover seems to do the trick.

Originally posted by ElSecundo View Post
              But please DON'T make claims that the cars don't get damaged more. Digital introuduces a high probability of high speed 'nose-to-tail' crashes. With analog, when a driver stops to marshal a car, he only needs to be aware not to park in the curves. On a digital layout, no matter where his car stops, he's in danger of being plowed into -- and on the straights, he gets hit at full bore. ANYTHING that introduces a new hazard will cause more damage to cars. Congratulations to you for not damaging your cars -- but I can assure you, not everyone will have that same experience. Just the way I don't knock the mirrors off my cars, I'm fully aware that mirror destruction is a common event for most people.
              I think you made my case by stating "Digital introduces a high probability of high speed 'nose-to-tail' crashes"
              The problem is again the same "analog thinking". The analog racing speeds do not reflect reality hence deslotting and car damaging crashes.
              In Digital you need to be aware of 4 directions and also what is going on on the track. It is obvious from your comments that you have not yet done Digital races with 6/8 cars. Ever heard the expressions "yellow" and "red"? The moment your car deslots you yell YELLOW if your car is in an area where "one lane is blocked" by the deslotted car or you yell RED when the car is blocking an LC or both lanes. The 5 other racers know that there is an obstacle on the track and that they NEED TO REDUCE SPEED / SLOW DOWN. And guess what, the exact same thing happens in real F1 races with "yellow and red" flags. I keep repeating it that analog racing does nowhere come close to real life racing whereas Digital brings it way closer. Only an analog racer would dream of going fast on a 2 lane lay-out with 6 to 8 cars. Digital means that only good drivers can compete. You can't put a novice in a 6/8 car race and hope/wish that you are going to have an awesome race. It won't happen. The glue on my Renault 2004 F1 testifies to that. But we took/take the time to learn something new. I posted a couple of days ago that I was "learning" to use the pitlane. The key word here is "learning". Analog guys will fly through the pitlane and wonder why their car did not stop on the spot it should have. The answer is so simple: "excessive speed".

The only times you can go really really really fast is when you are having "single car" qualifiying. Forget high speed when having 6 or 8 cars on a 2 lane track unless you are having a crash & recking derby. Hanging behind a car in front of you for 4 laps is nothing uncommon in Digital. But the moment you finally get that break (brake) you were waiting for it is so much fun to use the LC's appropriately and overtake that car.

Analog has NOTHING to do with Digital. Forget everything you knew about analog and then you will be ready to start to learn Digital. I clearly posted that glue used to be my best friend as I started racing Digital as if it were analog. But one thing is sure, once you have tasted Digital and learned how to drive with it you have no desire to go back to analog.

The big difference between me and ... is that I post "my personal experiences", the good, the bad and the ugly. And as I am using Ninco N Digital I have the regret to inform other forum members that:
              no chip has died as of 04/11/07
              no powerconsole has failed as of 04/11/07
              no adaptor has died as of 04/11/07
              no LC has died as of 04/11/07
              no controller has died as of 04/11/07
              no NC1 motor has died as of 04/11/07
              no NC2 motor has died as of 04/11/07
              no Ninco track piece has died as of 04/11/07

What else needs to fail before Digital is considered a worthy superior walk upright evolution in the quest for as "real as possible slotcar racing"???

Comment

i notice all the modern F1 cars that are chipped are scaleys....anyone have success with the carreras??

Comment

Sorry, I just can't seem to get a handle on these cars

Hi BlueJag,

I opened up my Carrera F1 cars at least 4 times and each times closed them again. The weird thing with chipping F1 cars is that either you immediately see a solution on how to chip the car or you don't. In my case I am still clueless on how I could make the current Ninco N chip fit in the Carrera F1 cars. It remains a challenge and maybe I'll take one more look this weekend.
                  Sorry.

Comment

deltart,

no need to apologize guy.....i've looked into the carrera F1 myself and closed them back up...i have successful chiped the scaley champ cars, and the hardest car i ever chipped was the yellow carrera hotrod.....it was either going to get the chip or the hammer....luckily for me it got the chip....we're keep trying and maybe ninco will figure out a way to shirk the size of that chip of theirs...best regrads and thanks

Comment

Rumors, rumors, rumors

I read on a Spanish slotforum that the "Director of Communications" for Ninco promised that Ninco would release all the Digital items offered by their competitors including a smaller chip for F1 type cars. I hope our friend Peto reads this and can maybe add some latest "rumor" updates.
                      I will take another look next week at the Carrera F1 cars to see if I finally "see the light" and figure out how to do it. It keeps bugging me. Of course it would be nice if all of a sudden Ninco released their F1 chip without "annual pre-announcement".
                      By the way have you noticed how Ninco has been eery quiet on "future Digital releases".
                      I can't believe I am typing this during the "commercial breaks" in the life F1 race in Bahrain (LOL). No wonder the economy is in a slum.

Comment

the F1 race came on 7:00 a.m. my time, so my computer wasn't even turned on yet....and yes i've noticed how ninco is kind of quite about any new digital releases....i was hoping for the 4 lane adapter track to be released this month, since it was already in the works......alsol (and this may not be the place to post this,but) do a search on a site called ENDLESS ROADS....they have GREAT racing dvds and vhs on the last 6 lemans races and F1 grand prixs....along with other endurance racing videos.

Comment

Working...
                        X