Something missing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something missing?

Seems to be something blue missing in this picture....when did these come out? looks like a good improvement......
    Last edited by Bill Plude; 01-02-2009, 11:38 PM.

That's the pre-production picture of the decoder chip. All the chips released so far have the capacitor.

Best regards,
    Brian

Comment

Thats an old picture? I can't believe I never noticed that. "Oldtimers" I guess. LOL

Comment

Yes, the prototype chips didn't have the capacitor but the production version does.

Best regards,
        Brian
        Last edited by BSWAN72; 04-16-2007, 08:00 PM.

Comment

That would have fit so much nicer than these other ones. Oh well, I've been dealing with them since the day they went on sale here in the States, I guess I'll just have to continue to do so.......

Comment

What comes around goes ....

Hi Bill,
            That's the exact same picture that inspired me to have the guts to remove the blue capacitor. It was actually the picture of the chip in Ninco Bob's "hands-on" report (I think you still have it somewhere on your website). So I reasoned if Ninco Bob could drive a chip without blue capacitor then why not me? And off it came and I have never looked back since.

Comment

Deltart, would it be possible to show a 'before and after' shot, or show me the link where you've posted it before? I seem to remember you doing that once... Thanks!

Comment

My favorite alien abduction story

Hi ElSecundo,

Here you go.

OUTLANDISH CLAIMS in Ninco and the Roswell crash
                http://slotcarillustrated.com/portal...ad.php?t=11249

And I hope you don't really take my "analog" bashing personally but rather see it for what it really is, "poking fun amongst slotcar friends/enthusiasts"!!!
                I just can't resist "stirring" the pot from time to time but if you ever meet me in person you would discover a kind, warm, always willing to help person. It's just that when I get a keyboard in front of me my devillish side needs to stir up things, create controversy.

Comment

doubt if ur kind warm and generous but

do you remove capacitor off all ninco chips
                  or only first edition ?

Comment

Cool, thanks for the link! So would you say that you could just use a pair of wire cuttters to cut it out, or would you say it needs to be de-soldered?

I'm not worried about the ramblings, the taunts, or the discussion at all -- it's been interesting.

Comment

Embrace the dark side!!!

doubt if ur kind warm and generous but
                      Originally posted by gorp View Post
                      do you remove capacitor off all ninco chips
                      or only first edition ?
                      Hi Gorp,
                      Only the 1st edition chip. The 2nd edition chip does not work without the capacitor removed. The 1st edition chip has two small black capacitors embedded on the chip (totaling 200uF, 100uF each). And then the 220uF blue capacitor brings it up to 420uF. But in-depth analysis by RichG on another "slotforum" explained why 200uF is sufficient to not get any signal degradation provided the cars are not equipped with lights. Apparently turning on the lights doubles the signal strenght needed which explains the "modded" 220uF blue capacitor" on the 1st release chip.
                      Apparently the 2nd edition chip has one big 440uF black capacitor so that removal is no longer an option.

And yes, the nice side of me is kind, warm and generous.
                      The dark side of me is arrogant and very obnoxious and always ready for a good street brawl (unfortunately too many weirdos carry guns and knives so I have learned to swallow my pride and just walk away). Which is hard sometimes but oh so smart when you have a 10 year old. A couple from the UK moved here two weeks ago and on their 2nd day here house hunting they encountered road rage and the husband, a passenger in the car driven by his wife, got shot to dead in front of their young son. So I try to keep the nice side up except of course when I get hold of a keyboard (LOL). Then the dark side embraces me (the "digital" force is strong in me).
                      Last edited by deltart; 04-18-2007, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Great reply. Good question.

Originally posted by ElSecundo View Post
                        Cool, thanks for the link! So would you say that you could just use a pair of wire cuttters to cut it out, or would you say it needs to be de-soldered?

I'm not worried about the ramblings, the taunts, or the discussion at all -- it's been interesting.

Thanks!!! And I agree with you, there are a lot of interesting slotcar discussions out there.

I don't know. I always use the soldering iron to remove the blue capacitor with heat but I use "liquid metal" to "cold solder" the motor wires when performing "permanent" chipping on some of my F1 cars. I have used the soldering iron to solder one or two of the braid wires back on a chip or to directly solder the Scalextric braid wires onto the chip.
                        The criteria to go for permanent chipping or not is usually how much work/time is needed to chip the car. If it takes a lot of trial/error to close the car up again I usually go for the "permanent chipping".
                        I use a Dremel to carefully sand the extra silicium from the chip (light connectors and placement hole). I think Bill Plude used wire cutters to cut the extra silicium from the chip but I am not sure how he removed the blue capacitor. Bill, if you read this could you clarify?
                        Another thing I have learned from reading up on "dead chips" is that a tight fit or a well insulated chip away from metal parts, is clearly vital.
                        The interesting part is that most chips that stopped working had either:
                        ...........the bare motor wires too far extended below the chip or
                        ...........the chip came loose after a crash.
                        So in both cases it seems that careless chipping explained why they stopped working. The only exception was a chip with a burn hole in one of the 100uF capacitors reported by someone on another "slotforum". Not sure what happened there.
                        Last edited by deltart; 04-18-2007, 01:56 PM.

Comment

I think I'm going to be putting my chipped cars away for a while.
                          Last edited by Bill Plude; 04-18-2007, 02:44 PM.

Comment

OK, I have the chips with the large black capacitor, ie, "do not remove". Too bad -- they're the troublemakers when it's time to add a chip.

I guess this could be done: desolder the capacitor, and add flexible wires from the board to re-attach the capacitor. Then the capacitor could be tucked away a little more neatly in some applications. It would be necessary to make sure that the capacitor has proper insulation at the ends where it's connected to the wires, but it sure would make it easier to fit inside a car.

Comment

Spanish slotforum members did it with the blue capacitor

Hi ElSecundo,
                              Our friend Peto mentioned somewhere that this is how some Ninco N users in Spain use their chips. Just like you suggested they remove the capacitor and attach it with wires to the chip so I can be repositioned elsewhere in the car. Although I have only seen it done with the blue capacitor, not with the black capacitor. Let us know how it goes.

Comment

Working...
                              X