Money well spent? I need help please.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Money well spent? I need help please.

I recently purchased the Master Track so I could have something decent to run. I wasn't looking to set up the suggested layout, but to simply create something with a couple of long straights with a few chicanes. The first few days I was rockin!!!!!

After being out of the Hobby for several years and then coming back, I was seriously stoked to be active again. Tragedy struck quickly and I was bummed that the "local weather" here has SERIOUSLY WARPED MY TRACK. (and it's not that hot) Its gotten so bad my cars keep skipping off, and they won't stay on unless I drive like my Grandmother.

I'm scared to ask the question, but here it goes. Is their anyway I can fix this problem?
    Or am I out the $400 Bills it cost me to buy the set, because it really is garbage at this point. (it simply isn't any fun this way)

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Last edited by Modifier; 06-30-2007, 05:31 PM.

When you say 'local weather' do you mean to say that you had your track setup outside? Ninco track is not meant to be setup outside, at least not for any extended period of time. The rails are not weatherproof and will corrode if allowed to get damp.

I would suggest you reheat the track in a manner similar to what you did and then disassemble the track and stack it flat under some weight (heavy books - nothing too heavy) and allow it to cool. Also, you could probably use a hair drier to heat the sections as well, just remember to take your time and apply the heat in small amounts until you can just begin to 'work' the track back into shape.

If the rails are quite bent then you can gently massage them back to straight with the aid of a flat surface and gentle pressure in small increments until you have flat track again. I had my 5 year old son think he was a slot car and ran around my track turning my main straight into a whoop section that would unseat any seasoned AMA rider.

This should work unless the sections are actually melted in some areas - then you probably should just switch to rally/raid cars .

Hope this helps,
    Pete

Comment

No, not outside.

I didn't have the Track set up outside, but I had it set up in my bedroom on the floor. (hardwood). We live in So Cal, so we can pretty much leave the windows open all year round. It's only been getting up to about 85 degrees outside, but I guess that was enough to do it.

Judging by the condition of the track, I don't think a hair dryer is going to cut it. ****!!

Am I the only person that has this problem?

Thanks LegoPete for the words of wisdom!

Comment

Was it in direct sunlight for a good part of the day?

Comment

The Track never saw sunlight.

Direct Sunlight never made contact with the Track. It was the heat alone.

Comment

Geez...I thought for sure you were going to come back and say that 'yeah, the bedroom is all windows and on the South side of the house'. My theory is sunk! Can you post some pics so that we can see the extent of the damage? Instead of using a hairdryer, I would lay the track out lay the track out neatly sided by side in direct sunlight (the green way) to heat it evenly and then when it becomes mailable again press it under weight as LegoPete has suggested.

Comment

Pics

I'll try and post some pics. I've got it all packed up, since it does me no good out. To the eye, you can see that it is warped, but it doesn't look that bad. You really notice it when you start to drive. It's almost like a childrens cartoon with Goofy and one of his wheels wabbles up and down. The car does that all the way around. And if you get on it, the car will hop out of the slot (straights) and slide right down the rest of the straight away.

It erks me more and more every time I think about how much I spent.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the tips/suggestions everyone.

Comment

I understand your frustration. I had a heck of a time teaching my son when he was younger that he could not step on the track (Scalextric). Needless to say I spent a lot of time flattening track sections as best I could.

Comment

A theory?

After reading more about what happened I am thinking that maybe the heat has affected the rails only*, which will cause the whole piece of track to warp. Try straightening some pieces without any additional heat. Like I have written in my previous post, use a flat surface and make small adjustments until the piece is flat. You may be surprised at how malleable the track is and just how easily it can be returned to 'mint' condition. At least, this is what I am sincerely hoping can be done.

*The metal rails will act as a much better conductor of heat than the plastic of the track.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Modifier View Post
                      I'll try and post some pics. I've got it all packed up, since it does me no good out. To the eye, you can see that it is warped, but it doesn't look that bad. You really notice it when you start to drive. It's almost like a childrens cartoon with Goofy and one of his wheels wabbles up and down. The car does that all the way around. And if you get on it, the car will hop out of the slot (straights) and slide right down the rest of the straight away.

It erks me more and more every time I think about how much I spent.
                      Does it do this with all your cars? I've had NINCO cars hop out of the slot on their own accord before. Which cars do you have out of curiosity?

Comment

Cars I have

Well , I bought the Track a little over 3 weeks ago; and immediately starting running the limited edition Rothman Porsche (slot it), as well as a bunch other slot.it's. I have a few fly's as well. Before it got warm, they ran smooth. I could see the track the day that it first got warm and when it warped. I took the track down, and then set it up again thinking that the track would be normal again. It seemed like the problem worsend because when it warped, the pieces next to each other kinda limited the bumpiness. So when I put it back together, the pieces that were next to each other before were no longer "neighbors" (if that makes sense). LIke I said, this worsened the situation. (so its not the cars)

I HOPE THIS POST HELP EVERYONE OUT IF THEY WERE PLANNING ON SETING UP IN ANYTHING OTHER THAN COOL CONDITIONS.

Comment

Never heard of this before with Ninco.

Not that this helps you much . . . I had mine in my garage which gets up well over 90 at times, I'd say 100 plus mid summer and staying that way until late evening; but mine was pinned down on a base board, so maybe that prevented any damage.

If you can't easily get it straight, you may need to combine the "heat system" with putting it onto a backing board as a semi-permananant layout, and let it get hot, tack it, and put the weight on it, to let it cool down flat.

Comment

Do you have gremlins or kids living under the stairs who come out and jump all over your track?

80-90 is pretty standard summer temperature across a pretty wide belt of global humanity (including Spain) so clearly the track is rubbish.

Get a refund.

PS. It's not the wife getting you back for wasting money on yet more slotcar stuff when she deserves a holiday, is it?

Comment

LOL! Paybacks!!!

NO, believe me when I say; the wife and kids come first. I only get toys once I have provided for them! I have a wonderful supporting wife!

Funny though! Sounds like my ex-wife.

Comment

Working...
                              X