Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recent n-digital chip failures

hi guys,

is anyone out there experencing recent chip failures? i've been digitizing my cars for almost a year now, and just recently i am getting a high number of failures....the cars stop after a few test laps. i notice a slight humming when i try to restart the car....i've got the older style chips and older chips with the larger capacitor that run fine....but these new batch of chips i've been getting have been failing one after another.....anyone else going through this? thanks

I bought a brand new N-Digital master set last August and chipped 5 cars and all 5 failed in the exact way you described. I sent them back to Overdrive in Germany where I bought them from and Klaus there confirmed that they were fried and agreed to send me a new console and rechip the cars.

He took an age and a day to send them back and I just got the package on Friday and I haven't yet tested the cars out with the new console.

He contacted Ninco and got no reply at all about the problem.

The original power box with my master set was a 104 version, and so is this new one he sent me. The chips were wired correctly with no extra wire to short out and yet they still all failed suddenly after just 20-30 laps.

Probably the reason I haven't yet tested out the new chips yet is because I don't really think the console is at fault, it seems more likely to be a problem with the chips.

I'll test it out tomorrow, but I think if they start failing again then that is it with Ninco N-Digital for me. I'd rather have fun with plain old reliable analogue than with a digital set which is terrific for the 10 minutes that it works for.

I'll keep you posted.

Comment

ronan,

I'm sorry to hear of your problems. I have 9 chips. One of them failed in an accident where the chip touched the metal weight which came loose in the crash. Ive been wrapping chips in electrical tape since then.

If its not the power base, and its not the chips, then maybe it could be your power supply or wiring in your house?

Comment

I don't think it's the wiring or the power supply since both ronan and i are having the same problem....and yes, i also carefully wrap the chip in electrical tape to avoid it touching any metal....what's strange is i've been buying my chips from BRS hobbies though the internet for the past 4 to 5 months and they all work fine....but the one's which i've bought from the local hobby store (which he gets from another source i rather not mention, only because they are very big with ninco) have over the pass 3 months continuosly failed.....thanks for the feedback ronan....looking forward to hearing how you made out.

Comment

Originally posted by da_rainbow View Post
          ronan,

I'm sorry to hear of your problems. I have 9 chips. One of them failed in an accident where the chip touched the metal weight which came loose in the crash. Ive been wrapping chips in electrical tape since then.

If its not the power base, and its not the chips, then maybe it could be your power supply or wiring in your house?
          Sorry for my late reply!

I was careful when installing them to make sure they did not touch metal, and in the ones that failed no metal contact was at fault.

I was using two of the Ninco digital transformers and the wiring in our house is in good condition so I don't think that was the problem.

Anyway! I've decided that messing about with chips is not as much fun as building a routed track so that's what I'm going to embark on now!

Comment

Originally posted by bluejag View Post
            I don't think it's the wiring or the power supply since both ronan and i are having the same problem....and yes, i also carefully wrap the chip in electrical tape to avoid it touching any metal....what's strange is i've been buying my chips from BRS hobbies though the internet for the past 4 to 5 months and they all work fine....but the one's which i've bought from the local hobby store (which he gets from another source i rather not mention, only because they are very big with ninco) have over the pass 3 months continuosly failed.....thanks for the feedback ronan....looking forward to hearing how you made out.
            No problem on the feedback!

I hope you get the problem sorted out. I tried out the new console yesterday and it all worked properly, but I found the other N-Digital problems persisted such as a sharp throttle response a couple of unwanted lane changes, and slower than expected cars really.

So I've decided to pack it all away and use the large MDF table I made to hold the ninco track to make a 3 lane routed track! Should be much more fun and best of all the cars I buy will run on it out of the box without expensive, fiddly to fit and prone to failure chips! LOL!

When I get time in the next few weeks I think I will start ebaying off the ninco stuff and get some of my money back. I've lots of experience selling off my 1:18th diecast collection (I've sold about 25% of it so far, out of a total of 900 1:18ths) so hopefully I can sell off the ninco stuff reasonably easily.

Comment

good luck with that ronan.....i've worked with mdf in other projects and it is a good, sturdy, (but heavy) material....great for routing....i've often thought about a 3 lane track, but i like changing up too much....( i get bored with the same layout after a while...i think, i'm going to have to limit my chip buying from brs hobbies....

Comment

Hey guys.i recently bought an 1.08 unit and digitalized a car. I seem to have all the abovementioned problems.such as unwanted lane changes,the car throtleing after the lane change track parts and others.is there a solution ?i have invested so much money for gathering all the parts from around the world and now i find myself sitting with a system i cant play and a bunch of chips sitting around.any solutions?

Comment

Put this on the rails and braids:
                  http://www.132slotcar.us/store/produ...903cb4b372d492

Comment

Working...
                  X