Ninco Supra vs. Porsche 997...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ninco Supra vs. Porsche 997...

I am running a Ninco Supra GT and comparing the performance against a Porsche 997. The only changes that I have made to both cars are ProRace braid, ProRace guide, ProRace body screws and am using a 2 mm thick button traction magnet instead of the stock 5 mm thick button traction magnet. The Supra is a dream to drive and seems to be consistent no matter how I throw the car around the corners. In contrast, the Porsche 997 seems tail happy when trying to turn fast laps. I often see the tail step out when exiting a corner. Does this sound normal or can the Porsche 997 be tuned to run with the Supra?

Best regards,
    Brian

depends on your driving style. i run no-mag & have most of the Ninco GT cars. The NSX is my favorite, but I've won more w/ the Mosler & 997. i remeber the Supra being very close to the NSX in driveability, very forgiving. I run w/ max brakes on the 997 & I can take it deep into a turn; tail-happy on exit is probably a traction issue. when I have too much traction or power w/ the 997, i lift the front end a lot. try dialing back your throttle sensitivity so the car has a littless punch out of the turns. i run most of my cars set-up as per Ninco World Cup & some are Slot.itified. playing w/ gears for each track helps a lot too.

Comment

I think if you measure the front track you will get your answer. I have only seen a 997 owned by a guy at the club but i do remember ( i think) it being narrower across the front than a Supra. Where I run which are routed wood tracks no mag we have a jgtc category and interestingly the Supra is the most preferred car. A couple of NSX cars go really well but they are getting harder to come by. There will always be some good ones owned by good drivers/tuners so a 350z or a lexus can all be made to go well. The Gallardo seems to be a bit Tippy when pushed hard. I heard at the Ninco worlds that in the jgtc section the Supra was absolutely dominant but someone else might be able to confirm/refute this.
      Last edited by roveros; 02-28-2009, 03:04 PM. Reason: forum policy

Comment

From what I've heard, the Supra is the superior car of the two. If nothing else, it has a lower center of gravity and better chassis bracing, plus I think the dimensions are more favorable.

Doesn't mean you can't equalize them, you'll just probably have to give the Porsche some other advantage to compensate whether that's a slightly bigger/lower magnet, better tires, better motor, whatever. It'll take some time and experimentation but you should be able to find some combination of tuning and part swaps that will make them pretty equal.

Comment

At the first Ninco World Cup in 2005, the teams had a choice between the NSX and the Supra. All twelve teams chose the Supra.

Of all the Ninco anglewinder cars the Supra probably has the best body float. The NSX has a stiffer chassis than all the other anglewinders (except maybe the megane trophy). The Porsche 997 has the most liveries, 16 plus the white body kit. Both the NSX and Supra are getting hard to find. The only Supra in production recently was the Castrol and that was about 18 months ago (summer '07). And because of licensing Ninco will not make any more NSX's.

All the Ninco cars handle a little differently. I am surprised at how well the Porsche 997 does handle. Even if you have two Supras, one will go faster than the other one, one will handle better than the other one and not necessarily both.

So you may think of it as a handicap to give the better driver the harder car and then go racing...
          Last edited by low tech; 03-01-2009, 01:06 AM. Reason: sp.

Comment

The 50459 Toyota Supra Castrol is no longer in production, but we still have it available. If your favorite dealer doesn't have it in stock and you want one, have him call me.

Bob/NINCO1

Comment

hey bob-what about...

any supras available in the "yellow hat" livery? while your looking, any honda nsx's laying around, any livery? how can i get my hands on these cars? need running mates for our new lexus!

i dont know what it is but this new lexus is the funnest car i have driven on our track. great performance and response and great fun! need more like it-any suggestions?

Comment

I'd say that when the 997 is set up well, it's an excellent car. I generally haven't found it to be as good out of the box as the Supra, but it has every bit as much potential.

I don't know if this is a good way to describe it, but the Supra drives more like a true GT (Grand Touring car, with its high speed stability), and the 997 is more like a sports car (agile, with quick changes of direction). The Supra took George and me to Italy in 2006, so I'm very partial to that car, and I'm a big fan of the way it drives.

Comment

aww4,
                  No NSX's, no other Supra's in stock.... all part of history.
                  Although if there's any of my NINCO dealers reading this thread who can help AWW4, please send him a private message.

Bob/NINCO1

Comment

I found them! Check out thread in Buy/Sell/Trade! I am pumped!

Comment

I'm selling two NSX and 4 Supras...I have 4 that I race too.

[email protected]

Comment

Working...
                      X