No announcement yet.

How do Cartrix cars run on Ninco track?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do Cartrix cars run on Ninco track?

I'm totally new into this (45 years since I've raced). I've ordered a Ninco analog Pro Am track which I will probably upgrade to n-digital. I've become smitten with Cartrix cars. How would these sweet racers be on Ninco" Would they accept the n-digital chip (meaning...would the chip fit)?

Thanks!

If your asking about the Cartrix Grand Prix cars then the last question first. The digital chip will fit. At least the one I has will fit. I know there is a second generation chip available and it may be bigger.

However, as much as I like these cars and race them I am not sure how good they will preform as a digital racer. The problem lies in the fact that the motor is not fast, the car is light weight, and the car is narrow. These three properties make it difficult for the car to actually complete a lane change running digitally. If you go too slow the car will get stuck in the middle of the lane changer. If you go too fast the car will flip over.

So other than that I love the cartrix gp cars. They are great little runners on any analog track and very good on Ninco as well.

But don't take my word as the final one. I don't race digitally and don't have a digital set. I have only tried it a few times. Some others who have a digital set may be able to give you more advice.

jon

Comment

Cartrix GP?

Like I said, I haven't been in this long. I didn't know Cartrix offered anything but GP as that is all I have seen when I have searched. Thanks for your feedback Jon.

...Chevy

Comment

Cartrix GP cars have a strange motor. From my experience they basically have a very flat operating curve they either go or they stop there is not much control in between. I am going to try a Scaleauto motor and see if that helps.

Also the front end need some work. It is very sloppy I used a Chupa Chup stick to make an axle support and that made the car 100% better. It is now very nice to drive except for above motor peculiarity.

I run analogue so cannot offer direct experience with lane changing etc. if someone else can clarify that other classic GP cars (scalextric) work on Ninco lane changer then Cartrix should as well. It is more likely to be the narrowness of the car rather than the weight. From memory Cartrix magnet is not very strong. I have taken mine out.

These cars are very pretty so it would be worth spending some time and effort to get them to work. Once you have sorted out one.........
        Last edited by Abarth Mike; 05-15-2009, 04:35 AM.

Comment

asoldasa57chevy,
          The lane changing should not be a problem with any car...unless you're really creeping. the car does have to move fast enough for momemtum to carry it about 1 1/2" over the "dead" spot on the LC track, but that holds true with any car. I've never "chipped" a Cartrix car, but do run NINCO Champ cars with N-Digital with no problem... the installation was a bit "tricky" due to the internal spacing within the body of the car.
          The second generation chip thet Low Tech mentioned is smaller than the original, and is encased in a red, snap together plastic covering to totally protect the chip from shorting out to anything metallic. Also the new chip comes with all 4 connecting wires already attached to eliminate soldering or any work on the chip itself. The red-cased chip is the only chip being distributed to dealers or direct to customers.
          From my point of view, if you like a car, buy it. We all have different opinions about what's good and bad... Setup and tuning to track conditions are part of the fun, excitement and frustration of the hobby.

Bob/NINCO1

Comment

I love the new style chip. I have a couple Scalextric mini coopers and while the chip won't fit in the car with the plasic case, it will if I take the case off. (The older style chips wouldn't fit well at all.

Comment

Track arrives tomorrow...

Thanks guys for feedback about Cartrix cars and ninco sets. They are indeed beautiful models and when my budget allows for a nice little addition, I'll probably be going there. Tomorrow my Ninco Pro Am is due to arrive...analog...will probably upgrade to digital later. You could say I'm excited.
              What are your opinions about Cartrix vs Scalectrix GP racers? Just wondering...

Comment

Originally posted by asoldasa57chevy View Post
                What are your opinions about Cartrix vs Scalectrix GP racers? Just wondering...
                Hi, 57 There isn't really a comparison between the two, and this may be a better question for a non-Ninco board -- probably the 1/32 board would be ideal, and you'll get more responses, too. I'll say this -- if you learn to appreciate the cars for what they are, you will be much happier. Enjoy them for their unique characteristics, different styles, different speeds, different positives and negatives. You can have a lot of fun with both Cartrix and Scalextric, but don't expect them to be the same.

I have to say, I wish I could be there for the grand opening of the Pro Am set. Seeing somebody just getting started in this incredible hobby is a cool thing.

Have a great time with your new set!

Comment

Assoldas 57,
                  Sorry about hijacking this thread, but it will only be for a quickie And it is pertinent to Cartrix cars & chip funcionality.

Originally posted by Abarth Mike View Post
                  Cartrix GP cars have a strange motor. From my experience they basically have a very flat operating curve they either go or they stop there is not much control in between. I am going to try a Scaleauto motor and see if that helps.
                  Abarthmike,
                  That's odd. None of my Cartrix GP cars exhibit this motor anomaly. What are you using for a controller?

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Slider2 View Post
                    Assoldas 57,
                    Sorry about hijacking this thread, but it will only be for a quickie And it is pertinent to Cartrix cars & chip funcionality.

Abarthmike,
                    That's odd. None of my Cartrix GP cars exhibit this motor anomaly. What are you using for a controller?

Greg
                    Greg,

NSR modified Parma with 45 or 25 ohms and a std. scaley one (mystery ohms). There is just not a lot of difference between medium speed and fast.

Maybe it's just me. Will report on Scaleauto difference. I need that to keep up with Scalextric vintage Ferrari.

Comment

Gentlemen,
                      I think this thread should be moved to the 1/32 board... good information, but it's moved away from a NINCO discussion.
                      Thanks

Bob/NINCO1

Comment

Bob,

I don't think it ever was a Ninco discussion. Just by happenstance it started here.
                        I suspect a few of us have the odd Ninco otherwise we wouldn't be looking here.

While I have your attention my recently purchased Porsche 934 Martini has 4 axle bushings on the front axle instead of 2 "double bushings", which it has on the back. Can you tell me if this is intentional or do I have a Friday car? The front axles binds as there is a shearing force between the seperate bushings. It is an easy fix but maybe the factory should know about this oversight.
                        Last edited by Abarth Mike; 05-19-2009, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Mike,
                          The 4 separate front axle bushings on the 50485 Martini are correct. Not an oversight or a "Friday" car.
                          Perhaps you have a piece of grit causing the bind. You should have sufficient side play to allow the shocks a bit of side movement.
                          Recommend cleaning, than a drop of lube between the bushings.

Bob/NINCO1

Comment

It could be a design flaw, Bob, or it could be a production flaw. By spring-loading two of the four separate bushings up front, it guarantees that two adjacent bushings will create a shear force on the axle. One bushing is held in place, the other is pushing directly on the axle. The bushings need to be glued together to do the job properly (ie, not create the shear force).

I've seen some cars with the solid double-bushings up front. It's very possible that the double-bushings are the expected part, but workers may be using individual bushings when they run out of the doubles, without knowing why the doubles are necessary.

Comment

I see your point Kurt, but I looked at a Martini this morning and it was fine. Powered it and there wasn't any problem. It's neither a design or production flaw. The car was made that way.

Bob/NINCO1

Comment

Working...
                              X