changing wheels and tires

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• changing wheels and tires

How do I know what size wheels and tires I need? I would like to upgrade to prorace or other alloy wheels. Could you recomend other brands as well? The cars I have are all GT cars, (mosler, supra, ferrari 360, Lambo, and ascari. Do they all take the same size wheel? Should I cange the axles and bearings? I'm to new to know whats what.

I have a question do most racers sand the front wheels for less sliding and if how do you sand the front tires.

Comment

Buzz,
      This axle/tire chart should help with tire sizes......
      Of the cars you mentioned, the 80744 18" wide(rear) and 80738 17"narrow (front) Prorace wheels are the usual upgrade sizes.... many like the 80736 15" wheel in the fronts...
      however.......
      You will get many different opinions, due to driver's style, track conditions, etc. I am giving you those sizes as a good place to start.

Bob/NINCO1

Comment

You can use the ProRace EVO wheels with the stock axle. I recommend the #80738 ProRace EVO STD 17" narrow wheels for the front and the #80740 ProRace EVO 17" wide wheels for the rear. As Bob mentioned, the 18" wide wheels will also work fine for the rear. The only difference is the 18" wheels will give you slightly larger overall diameter than the 17" wheels.

Best regards,
        Brian
        Last edited by BSWAN72; 05-26-2009, 06:57 AM.

Comment

With my Ninco cars I also use the 18"(80744) in the rear and 17"(80738) as well as my Revell Cobra(3/32). I think the wheels looks great on these cars. I do see one problem with these wheels and that is if you hit a wall or something, they tend to get out of round. The problem is very easy to fix, just annoying at times.

Comment

The front tires aren't there for traction as in real racing. The tires are coated with clear nail polish or Future floor wax so that they slide. There are also hard 'zero traction' tires available that need no coating. The front tires only function is to resist body sway as the body rolls over in a turn. Some body sway is good because it transfers weight to the outside edges of the tires for traction through the turn.

Comment

Can the ninco wheel inserts be used with other manufactures wheels?
              Also,

since both Brian and Bob are on this thread,

What is the meaning of a 17" WIDE wheel? or rather what is it real dimension for the purpose of finding a tire. Is it for example 17m X 10 mm?

Thanks,

BTW, does anyone have a picture of a PRORACE wheen and insert mounted?

Comment

Hi Buzzro,

First - most importantly, what track surface are you running on? I'm assuming it's NINCO?

Second, NINCO's line of EVO parts come in TWO axle sizes: 2.48mm Diameter (Standard - STD) and 3/32" Diameter (around 2.38mm diameter). ALL NINCO stock axles (with black coating) from the factory are of Standard diameter - 2.48mm.

There are two ways you can go about choosing wheel sizes:

1) Scale Appearance
                2) Best Performance

For Scale Appearance, as BRS said I would use 17" NARROW (17x8) front wheels and 17" WIDE (17x10) rear wheels.

For Best Performance, I would use 15" NARROW (15x8) front wheels, and 17" WIDE (17x10) rear wheels. I would also go ahead and get the corresponding titanium axles, ball bearings, and new gears.

For tires - the fronts need the 18x10 low profile tire and the rear needs 20.5x11.5 Shore A-25 slicks (if you're on NINCO track.)

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by El Rookie View Post
                  I have a question do most racers sand the front wheels for less sliding and if how do you sand the front tires.
                  Someone stated earlier that the front tires is only used to support the car during turns and does not really provide grip. This is true, to an extent - on NINCO, it's a little different.

On NINCO, you want the outer front tire to touch during cornering, but at the same time you want the inside tire to lift a little, not much...but enough to where it does not grip. I've found some hard compound tires in the front of my cars hurt performance a little. It always seems more stable and planted when I'm using tires that will somewhat grip during cornering on NINCO track. The reason for this is NINCO cars typically have the guide pivot in front of the front wheels - so you can actually get a little bit of grip out of outer front tire when it's touching during cornering.

Then another can of worms when it comes to tuning your front tire diameters is stagger. This solely depends on the track and one can tune the individual front tire diameters to suit the track. IE - more left hand corners = make the right front tire a hair bigger.....but watch out on the right hand turns . This is crucial especially on Ovals, but not so much road courses.

EDIT: Prof - here's a picture of my Mosler with EVO 15" fronts using the "Sturdies" 15" inserts and 17" EVO wheels using the Speedline 17" inserts. The inserts are painted black. I did not install the brake rotors because it wasn't required for the race this car participated in, but it didn't look right w/o inserts so I had to put some in.

I've tried the 17" inserts on Slot.it wheels and it does not fit. The 18" inserts do not fit either.I have not tried the 15" inserts on a different brand wheel.

** The first picture shows how much a 19x10 Shore A-25 NINCO slick tire was sanded prior to the race. Only half of the word NINCO is showing on the sidewall. The tool used to sand/true the front tires was a Hudy tire truer. You can also use a dremel and a sanding block, or you can install the front wheels/tires on the rear axle and true them on a sanding block just like you would truing rear tires.
                  Last edited by Mark; 06-16-2009, 06:57 PM.

Comment

this is a very interesting topic.
                    Thanks for clearing my doubts about the size of ninco wheels.

Comment

Working...
                    X