X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car tuning tips for Ninco Track

Hi guys

I just recently got into slotting and have become totally hooked! I'm a total newbie but have been experimenting and reading as much as I can these couple of weeks. It's at times frustrating coz there's lots of information out there that's quite conflicting! So to set me up on the right path, I hope to get some specific advice from the pros in this forum.

I have a 21m (about 69ft) Ninco track at home and race with some pals at the club which also runs a Ninco track of about the same length. I'm running with magnets for the time being and hope to move on to non-mag eventually. Here's a pic of my home layout:

The cars that I'm tuning are Slot.it Sica10c Maclaren (Inline), NSR Moslers (sidewinder & anglewinder), Ninco Ferrari 360 prorace, Ninco Porsche 911GT3, Ninco Toyota Supra.

I've done most of the basic stuff which I've gathered over the net like tyre truing, chassis straightening, running gear alignment, screw loosening & weight & magnet tuning. However there are specific brand related idiosyncrasies that I just can't figure out what to do. Here it goes:

Ninco Track General Car Setup

1. Do we set up the car with tripod configuration or let all the wheels touch?
    2. What are the better tyres for running on Ninco tracks? I'm using Ninco prorace, Slot.it S2, NSR ultragrips.
    3. Body loose or tight?
    4. Suggested gear ratios for my type of layout (fast & flowing) for anglewinder,inline & sidewinder?
    4. Any other suggestions welcome!

Slot.it
    1. The Slot.it Maclaren is fast! It handles the best on my track, seldom de-slots and corners like a rocket. My problem is that it occasionally causes the power to the track to shut down! What do I do to prevent this?
    2. The Slot.it cars seem to be low especially since mine is an Evo chassis so there's constant rubbing with the tracks. Should I convert to non-offset motor pod to increase the height of the car? Add spacers to the guide? What do u guys do to your Slot.it cars to run on Ninco track to prevent this rubbing issue? Less friction=more speed no?
    3. What are your additional setup tips for running your slot.it cars on Ninco track?

NSR
    1.The Moslers are really fast and quiet! The sidewinder (25k shark) is more balanced and consequently faster car than the anglewinder (21.5k king). I've managed to solve the rubbing issue by installing some spacers on the guide post. Problem is that the front wheels are totally off the ground. Is this ok?
    2. Any other setup suggestions from guys that run NSR moslers (with magnet) on Ninco track?

Ninco
    1. The Ninco cars are pretty fast (not as fast as Slot.it & NSR) but I gotta have a Ninco car for Ninco races at the club. Can the Ferrari 360 (with NC6) be a competitive car? The club guys seem to favor the Acura LMP & Mosler. I don't want to waste my time modding and tuning a car that has got limited potential. Or should I change out the motor to maybe an NC10 or NC14 (the NC6 is really a bit too jerky & rough for my liking)? Should I perhaps look at other cars like the lambos (I don't wanna add another Acura or Mosler to the pack coz it's just boring!)?

Last but not least, the main mod will be for me to build up my driving skills!

Cheers guys and I hope to hear from you!

Tripod works best on NINCO. Wheels should barely touch, if not at all except during cornering.
    2. What are the better tyres for running on Ninco tracks? I'm using Ninco prorace, Slot.it S2, NSR ultragrips.
    I'd highly recommend not to run S2's on NINCO. When running S2's, you will destroy the grip for almost all rubber tires except PRS and other very soft compound tires. I'd recommend PRS, NSR Ultras, Slot.it F22, BRM 15's, Slot.it P5, Scaleauto Racing Rubber tires, NINCO Shore A-25 Pro-race, NINCO Laprene. These are not in specific order, but note that they are all rubber tires. You will find that if you consistently run rubber tires on your track, your grip will be consistent and will get better. Vacuuming the track for dust and dirt also helps, but do not use a scrubber - just simply vacuum the surface.
    3. Body loose or tight?
    This is where opinions vary, and none are wrong. This will vary mainly on the car and its configuration (podded or non-podded). Generally, I run all of my bodies for NINCO track very loose. When using NINCO Pro-race metric screws (the flat head ones), I typically will have the screw backed off 2.5-3turns in the front and 1.5-2turns in the rear depending on the car. This is just a general rule since some cars will sometimes run better with a little bit less body float.
    4. Suggested gear ratios for my type of layout (fast & flowing) for anglewinder,inline & sidewinder?
    Looking at the track dimensions - I'm eye-balling that your diagonal straight is roughly 35-45ft in length? Gear according to the motor being used rather than its configuration. What types of motors are you using?
    NINCO tracks are all point-and-shoot type regardless of layout. Brake late, easy on the turns, and ensure the guide is at the straight before accelerating while ensuring the rear end is in-line with the straight.

Slot.it
    1. The Slot.it Maclaren is fast! It handles the best on my track, seldom de-slots and corners like a rocket. My problem is that it occasionally causes the power to the track to shut down! What do I do to prevent this? What type of power supply are you using?
    2. The Slot.it cars seem to be low especially since mine is an Evo chassis so there's constant rubbing with the tracks. Should I convert to non-offset motor pod to increase the height of the car? Where is it rubbing? Rubbing the sides of the car during cornering is acceptable, but if you've got rub marks on the underside of the chassis where the rail would be, I'd suggest new tires or a pod change. Add spacers to the guide? On a Slot.it McLaren I would not add a spacer. What do u guys do to your Slot.it cars to run on Ninco track to prevent this rubbing issue? Less friction=more speed no? The rubbing you may be getting is also possibly the chassis pan hitting the track from very loose pod screws. Are your pod screws loose? Less Friction is faster, but it depends where the friction is. Some friction can be of help.
    3. What are your additional setup tips for running your slot.it cars on Ninco track?
    Invest in a Slot.it Spring Suspension kit for your motor pod - works for Anglewinder & Sidewinder. Set the springs soft - use the stoppers to limit travel to ensure little tire rub occurs - run body loose.

NSR
    1.The Moslers are really fast and quiet! The sidewinder (25k shark) is more balanced and consequently faster car than the anglewinder (21.5k king). I've managed to solve the rubbing issue by installing some spacers on the guide post. Problem is that the front wheels are totally off the ground. Is this ok? A stock Mosler actually has the front tires off the ground already , but if the car runs well, I don't see a problem. Did it help the lap time or hurt it? Raising the front will give you a little bit less magnet.
    2. Any other setup suggestions from guys that run NSR moslers (with magnet) on Ninco track?
    With magnet cars, try to add additional magnets under the rear axle if rules permit.

Ninco
    1. The Ninco cars are pretty fast (not as fast as Slot.it & NSR) but I gotta have a Ninco car for Ninco races at the club. Can the Ferrari 360 (with NC6) be a competitive car? The club guys seem to favor the Acura LMP & Mosler. I don't want to waste my time modding and tuning a car that has got limited potential. Or should I change out the motor to maybe an NC10 or NC14 (the NC6 is really a bit too jerky & rough for my liking)? Should I perhaps look at other cars like the lambos (I don't wanna add another Acura or Mosler to the pack coz it's just boring!)? Moslers are proven to be the best NINCO race cars. Second I prefer the New Lamborghini Murcielago and third the Ford GT.

Mark

Comment

Here are some additional tips for running NINCO slot cars on a NINCO track.

1) Use the NINCO ProRace guides on the NINCO slot cars. The ProRace guides are longer and deeper than the stock NINCO guide that comes on the cars.

2) On some NINCO cars, it helps to leave either the front or the rear body screw snug with the other body screw loose. Generally, if you have a car that de-slots easily or is inconsistent then adjusting the body screws can make a big difference. Be sure to write down how you set the body screws for each car.

Best regards,
      Brian

Comment

Thank you Mark for your answers on my many questions in my very first post...appreciate it!

Tripod works best on NINCO. Wheels should barely touch, if not at all except during cornering.
        I suppose that would mean running really small wheels up front like those 15mm diameter ones with the standard 17mm rears.

I'd highly recommend not to run S2's on NINCO. When running S2's, you will destroy the grip for almost all rubber tires except PRS and other very soft compound tires. I'd recommend PRS, NSR Ultras, Slot.it F22, BRM 15's, Slot.it P5, Scaleauto Racing Rubber tires, NINCO Shore A-25 Pro-race, NINCO Laprene. These are not in specific order, but note that they are all rubber tires. You will find that if you consistently run rubber tires on your track, your grip will be consistent and will get better. Vacuuming the track for dust and dirt also helps, but do not use a scrubber - just simply vacuum the surface.
        Let me go try a few of the suggested ones and compare the timings. Do you guys glue the tires to the rims? If so what's the preferred glue?

3. Body loose or tight?
        This is where opinions vary, and none are wrong. This will vary mainly on the car and its configuration (podded or non-podded). Generally, I run all of my bodies for NINCO track very loose. When using NINCO Pro-race metric screws (the flat head ones), I typically will have the screw backed off 2.5-3turns in the front and 1.5-2turns in the rear depending on the car. This is just a general rule since some cars will sometimes run better with a little bit less body float.

Looking at the track dimensions - I'm eye-balling that your diagonal straight is roughly 35-45ft in length? Gear according to the motor being used rather than its configuration. What types of motors are you using?
        The diagonal straight is only about 9ft in length. The total track length is 69ft. I am using NSR King 21.5k on the Mosler AW, NSR Shark 25k on the Mosler SW, Ninco NC5 & NC6 for my Nincos, orange endbell 21k for my Slot.it inline & sidewinder and Boxer 2 for the slot.it anglewinder. The high torque motors work well on the Nincos but suck on the rest. So am gonna play with gear ratios to dial up or down the torque.

NINCO tracks are all point-and-shoot type regardless of layout. Brake late, easy on the turns, and ensure the guide is at the straight before accelerating while ensuring the rear end is in-line with the straight.
        Clear and concise! Just about sums it up!

Slot.it
        1. The Slot.it Maclaren is fast! It handles the best on my track, seldom de-slots and corners like a rocket. My problem is that it occasionally causes the power to the track to shut down! What do I do to prevent this? What type of power supply are you using?
        Am using the NINCO adjustable power supply. Found the cause for the erratic behavior and problem solved!

2. The Slot.it cars seem to be low especially since mine is an Evo chassis so there's constant rubbing with the tracks. Should I convert to non-offset motor pod to increase the height of the car? Where is it rubbing? Rubbing the sides of the car during cornering is acceptable, but if you've got rub marks on the underside of the chassis where the rail would be, I'd suggest new tires or a pod change.
        Rubbing a bit on the underside near the motor mount area. The stock barbell shaped magnet is almost touching the track and at times seems to be slowing down the car due to the downforce! Have since replaced and relocated the magnet
        Add spacers to the guide? On a Slot.it McLaren I would not add a spacer. What do u guys do to your Slot.it cars to run on Ninco track to prevent this rubbing issue? Less friction=more speed no? The rubbing you may be getting is also possibly the chassis pan hitting the track from very loose pod screws. Are your pod screws loose? Less Friction is faster, but it depends where the friction is. Some friction can be of help.
        Roger that!

Invest in a Slot.it Spring Suspension kit for your motor pod - works for Anglewinder & Sidewinder. Set the springs soft - use the stoppers to limit travel to ensure little tire rub occurs - run body loose.
        Have placed order for that. Do you recommend to fit the suspension kit to both front and rear engine mount points or just the rear engine mount point?

NSR
        1.The Moslers are really fast and quiet! The sidewinder (25k shark) is more balanced and consequently faster car than the anglewinder (21.5k king). I've managed to solve the rubbing issue by installing some spacers on the guide post. Problem is that the front wheels are totally off the ground. Is this ok? A stock Mosler actually has the front tires off the ground already , but if the car runs well, I don't see a problem. Did it help the lap time or hurt it? Raising the front will give you a little bit less magnet.
        Smooth as silk....with a hint of tail sliding (just the way I like it) Why fix something if it ain't broken right? I'll keep my itchy fingers off the smooth running car! LOL

With magnet cars, try to add additional magnets under the rear axle if rules permit.

Ninco
        1. The Ninco cars are pretty fast (not as fast as Slot.it & NSR) but I gotta have a Ninco car for Ninco races at the club. Can the Ferrari 360 (with NC6) be a competitive car? The club guys seem to favor the Acura LMP & Mosler. I don't want to waste my time modding and tuning a car that has got limited potential. Or should I change out the motor to maybe an NC10 or NC14 (the NC6 is really a bit too jerky & rough for my liking)? Should I perhaps look at other cars like the lambos (I don't wanna add another Acura or Mosler to the pack coz it's just boring!)? Moslers are proven to be the best NINCO race cars. Second I prefer the New Lamborghini Murcielago and third the Ford GT.
        Ok the Lambo's gonna be my next project car - both the gallardo and murcielago - just to see which is faster!

Happy slotting and c u guys around here!
        Last edited by stormtrooper; 07-23-2010, 11:43 AM. Reason: formatting

Comment

[QUOTE=BRS;416927]Here are some additional tips for running NINCO slot cars on a NINCO track.

1) Use the NINCO ProRace guides on the NINCO slot cars. The ProRace guides are longer and deeper than the stock NINCO guide that comes on the cars.
          Yup am on them!

2) On some NINCO cars, it helps to leave either the front or the rear body screw snug with the other body screw loose. Generally, if you have a car that de-slots easily or is inconsistent then adjusting the body screws can make a big difference. Be sure to write down how you set the body screws for each car.
          I'll remember to do that once I dial in the tuning!

Thanks Brian!
          Last edited by stormtrooper; 07-23-2010, 11:48 AM. Reason: Formatting

Comment

Stormtrooper,
            you've asked some great questions, and have received some great tips....
            I've "stuck" this thread because of the importance of the questions and answers that will certainly benefit everyone.
            Thanks
            Last edited by NINCO1; 07-23-2010, 11:56 AM.

Bob/NINCO1

Comment

Just to add a little comment, the Ford GT is usually the fastest Ninco car for non-magnetic races at the moment, here in Portugal, with the Mosler a close second.

When the new Ford GT with motor cradle arrives, it will definitely be much faster... That is what all the Spanish magazine reviews are saying...

Comment

I love ninco track, I don't use mags, cars at about 80 to 100 grams, front body screws snug, rears very loose, factory rubbers, wheels need to be very very true cause wheel hop can spin hubs and burr gears, track is very grippy. I use 12.9 volts and ninco is the only track that will produce high speed 3-wheelin corners. Last thing, I use the ninco spring loaded guides in all my cars. These guides help a ton in terms of deslotting under accel.

Not sure if this addresses you set up, just thought I'd share.

mc

Comment

On the power cutting out with a slot, had the same thing happen and found the the magnet will graze the raised rails at certain places. I used a strip of clear packing tape just over the mags and never tripped off the Ninco adjustable power supply again. I put the Slot it Mac on my SCC setup block and it looked ok, just a slight gap ....... not enough for Ninco track.
                  Buster

Comment

Listen to "Mark"...

...as this is Mark Azarraga, Team USA Ninco World Cup member and probably the fastest guy on Ninco in the country. He is too modest to mention this.

TOJ

Comment

One word........Wow!

Comment

Jaybird,
                        I didn't want to mention it either, but as you started and Mark isn't "big-headed" anyway.... let's not forget he gave Team USA the "Pole" at the World Cup, therefore making him the fastest NINCO driver in the world!
                        (I only wish he was as quick with his reviews) Do Not Comment Mark!!
                        Last edited by NINCO1; 08-10-2010, 09:14 AM.

Bob/NINCO1

Comment

My fast is used for different tasks in my daily life - writing reviews is not one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                            My fast is used for different tasks in my daily life - writing reviews is not one of them.
                            *grin*
                            I know, you're saving it for Forza...

Comment

He also commented fast when asked not to comment!

Bob/NINCO1

Comment

Working...
                              X