Motor Resistor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor Resistor

I've been playing with two Mini Coopers and am going to convert to AC2CAR.
    What is the resistor for that's in series with the motor lead?

Thanks.

It's a capacitor to limit electrical interference or EMI. Just take it off and throw it away.
    Last edited by Abarth Mike; 09-27-2012, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Just keep a check on motor temperature when running on AC3CAR, one of the guys down here reports motors running hot when using this system.

Comment

Originally posted by Abarth Mike View Post
        It's a capacitor to limit electrical interference or EMI. Just take it off and throw it away.

No, it's definitely a resistor. It's in series with the motor, not parallel.

I burned up two Scaley motors on my first AC2Car experiment, so am treading slowly.

Comment

It's an inductor (a.k.a. choke/coil) that blocks HF - RF electrical noise. As previously mentioned, you can safely remove it. You will gain a small number of RPM.

_michael

Comment

The inductor (or choke) can also fail partially or completely. If you are rewiring or replaceing the wires to the motors I would advise removing the component. The motor will go faster without it.

Comment

With the AC2Car system the cars see a pulsing DC and that might cause some cars, especially those with tall gears or heavy magnets to run hotter than normal.

Comment

Hi

I advise you to remove the resistor and solder wires directly to the motor silicone!: Thumb:

Quim V.

Comment

it is NOT a resistor

It is a choke/inductor, for RF cancellation, required in EEC where the cars are made, but really, really superluous, I've never recorded any RF problem, and we removed them all at club.

Originally posted by Nismo View Post
                  Hi

I advise you to remove the resistor and solder wires directly to the motor silicone!: Thumb:

Quim V.

Comment

I hate to say this but isn't Bill speaking of a "diode" that needs to be on either the positive or negative of each car to allow AC to properly run the cars in an AC2R system?
                    Last edited by LDFan; 11-10-2012, 01:22 AM.

Comment

Hmmm

LDFan, well he said he "was going to convert", but implied he currently has a component in series with the motor lead, so everyone has assumed it is the existing component, which he wants to know what it is, and does he need it.....
                      [ especially with this thread being in the Ninco forum, and we know their chokes are often mistaken for resistors in appearance]

But maybe you're right, maybe he accidentally mixed his tenses, and is asking what the AC2Car component is that people fit - which of course is a diode.....

Funny language this english....

Comment

Working...
                      X