Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ninco power supply??

Hello Everyone,

Hoping someone knows if you can hook up two power supplies to a ninco track, i have two ninco tracks im making into one big track.. Any help would be appreciated.

All the power bases I have seen include 2 connections for power supply, the analog allows for 2 supplies to power each lane seperately, and the digital uses 2 power supplies when you run more than 4 cars.

Does that help?

Comment

Hello,
      I am going to assume you are making a larger 2 lane layout. I have had the best luck using the Ninco 10416 double powerbase. It has seperate circuits for each lane which means you have no power surge when one car leaves/stops on the track. It also allows control of track direction even when using "electronic" contollers i.e. SP-1's. The only drawback is they use 1/4" jack instead of the standard size jack. You can buy adapters but I have had nothing but problems with them so I go to Radio Shack and get just the jack and re-solder them directly to the controllers. Hope this info helps.
      Cheers,
      Chris

Comment

helpful

so what your saying is that i can plug two power supplies into one track and not burn out the track or burn down my house??

Comment

Hello carguy55.

Knowing which power base and power supplies you have would help in answering your questions.

Standard power base:

This is the power base that came with most NINCO analog sets along with a 750 ma transformer. The controller connection is via mini phone (stereo) jacks. It has two power connections that can serve as either input or output (e.g.,to power an accessory). It has limited current handling capability but should handle two of the above mentioned transformers without a problem. The real question is how powerful the motors in the cars are and, therefore, how much current they will draw. Also note that with this power base you will not get separate (isolated) power to each lane.

Advanced power base:

This is the one that csxgrafix mentioned in his post. It was considered an upgrade to the standard base. It has the advantage of providing separate (isolated) power to each lane and has a little better current handling capability. As previously mentioned, the controller connection is via standard phone (stereo) jacks. So you will need either an adapter (mini-to-standard) or will need to change the plugs on the controllers.

In either case, if you are using the standard transformer that NINCO supplied with the race sets, you should not have any problems. If none of this looks/sounds familiar then describe what you do have.

_michael

Comment

the standard one

Hello everyone and than you,

yes it is the first one that i have and will be running mostly slot it orange bell on the track but i have a couple high power nsr or falcon but mostly orange bells thank you all very much for your input

Comment

I bought a new Ninco terminal track 10416 to upgrade from my 10101, exactly as carguy55 posted above. I wanted the independent power that the 10416 allows. I have the oem Ninco jacks to accommodate the new bigger 6.35mm jack. Why are my cars running ONLY full throttle and the 10416 is unusable? I have the Ninco 10406 controller electronic. The minute the cars touch the track they go full throttle. The cars will change direction when I flip the direction switch. I have only the terminal track hooked up to isolate from the normal track. It is not the power supply as I bought two new Professor Motor 14v so I am still using the old 17v Ninco oem from 10 yrs ago, I believe Ninco 10301. So in summary I am staying with the old terminal track and power and still racing fine.

Comment

Effectively, you have a short circuit. The Ninco 10416 power base requires positive (+) polarity controllers (or controllers that can be switched to positive polarity). The Ninco VARIO (10406) is a negative (-) polarity controller. The Advanced power base shown previously in this thread is the 10401 Multifunction model. The VARIO is compatible with that base, however, the 10401 was discontinued some time ago.

_michael

Comment

So I have purchased the 10416 power base which is yellow/orange in color and same jacks 6.35mm as 10401. I found the polarity switch on top of the Ninco 10406 controller and thought this is it this is fix. Nothing changed! The cars still go full throttle the minute they touch the power base track. Now what?

Comment

Yicks just found this:

"Ninco #10416 Independent Power Base
                    The Independent Power Base - uses one transformer per lane to eliminate power surges between lanes, race in either direction with a flick of a switch and heavy duty 6.35 mm controller jacks. Only compatible with the Ninco TRON electronic controller and aftermarket positive polarity controllers that come with the correct plug. Not compatible with all previous Ninco electronic controllers." Thanks BRSHobbies.

Comment

Originally posted by mfogg View Post
                      ...The Ninco VARIO (10406) is a negative (-) polarity controller
                      Apparently the VARIO is switchable between + and - polarity. So, not sure what the design issue is but the TRON is the only Ninco electronic controller that is compatible.

Comment

Ok thanks to mfogg for the polarity knowledge, was able to fix this now with old Professor Motor controller and WIRE swapping. See photo.
                        Maybe I will just stay with oem N10101 setup and relegate the N10416 to the workbench. OEM has 2 power supplies so I should be fine?

Comment

Originally posted by Ross View Post
                          ...OEM has 2 power supplies so I should be fine?
                          Yes, however, see post #5 above. The 10101 power base has two DC power connectors that can be either input or output. It does not provide separate (isolated) power to each lane.

Comment

Agree with post#5 and worse your comment
                            "It (N10101)has limited current handling capability but should handle two of the above mentioned transformers without a problem. The real question is how powerful the motors in the cars are and, therefore, how much current they will draw."

I am already seeing this. The cars randomly slow down when we dual race on a 60ft plus Ninco track. That was the whole reason I bought the Professor Motor 14v 3amp N40303X two power supplies in the first place, however, the cars are faster INDIVIDUALLY with the old 17v Ninco..

That makes sense right 17v is faster than 14v?

Comment

Close up of model plate

Comment

Working...
                              X