ninco wico

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ninco wico

Got new wico set and nothing but trouble. Binding of controler to track is so sporatic. Constantly looses link and wont relink unless power unplugged and reset. Or one lane looses link and other lane will run full out without controler. Cars that came with set slide of track at slowest possible speeds . Kids get frustrated and dont want to play with it. Cant comunicate with ninco on website unless you speak spanish. Anybody got suggestions on why this wont work?:help

to SCI! Hopefully somebody here will be able to help.

Comment

Have you tried the retailer yet? That would be my first course of action (get an exchange or replacement for the wico stuff). Professor Motor is the US distributor for Ninco. You could also always contact them.

Never heard of that problem with the WICO, though.

Which cars came with your set? Most of my Ninco cars have plenty of traction, but I also have a Ninco 1 Corvette and Diablo that both deslotted easily before I upgraded the guides and braids on them. They're still a little light, so I'm probably going to add a bigger magnet to glue them down. If you have an option to exchange the cars, the Meganes are great for beginners.

Chris
      Last edited by iggyst00ge; 01-19-2015, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Had the same problem with my first set of Ninco WiCo . So far second lot have been OK but funnily enough just today I switched to recharging batteries as they were costing a fortune in ordinary ones.

Comment

Fixed!

Originally posted by dennis cote View Post
          Got new wico set and nothing but trouble. Binding of controler to track is so sporatic. Constantly looses link and wont relink unless power unplugged and reset. Or one lane looses link and other lane will run full out without controler. Cars that came with set slide of track at slowest possible speeds . Kids get frustrated and dont want to play with it. Cant comunicate with ninco on website unless you speak spanish. Anybody got suggestions on why this wont work?:help
          I purchased this for a 2015 Christmas gift. Fortunately I set this up today to try it out before Christmas morning. I found my Wico controllers had the same problem (one controller was worse than the other). I found that a good jarring or a twist of the controller would cause the battery to momentarily disconnect which causes the connection to reset.

To fix it, I removed the battery cover and the additional 3 screws that hold the controller cover. This revealed the battery electrode that is closest to the circuit board. It turns out that this battery electrode was disconnecting when the controller was torqued or jarred. The repair is pretty easy. The electrode is a flat spiral of wire. All I did was pull out the center of the spiral a bit to turn it into a spring. Now both controllers seem pretty bulletproof.

Comment

Originally posted by Davejavu View Post
            All I did was pull out the center of the spiral a bit to turn it into a spring. Now both controllers seem pretty bulletproof.
            That is the fix for these controllers - it's an easy fix, and once you do it you won't have any further problems with the controllers losing their link.

I'm not sure why your having issues with the Ninco cars on the track - they usually run great. With kids, keep the track on low power (I'm often running on low power myself) and try something like a Ninco Jag XK120 - one of the older ones with a NC-1 motor would be a piece of cake for your kids to control.

Don't give up - once you get it sorted out, you'll be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Davejavu View Post

To fix it, I removed the battery cover and the additional 3 screws that hold the controller cover. This revealed the battery electrode that is closest to the circuit board. It turns out that this battery electrode was disconnecting when the controller was torqued or jarred. The repair is pretty easy. The electrode is a flat spiral of wire. All I did was pull out the center of the spiral a bit to turn it into a spring. Now both controllers seem pretty bulletproof.
              This is the fix for the controllers losing the signal. It's an easy fix and once done you won't have any further issues. If your cars are deslotting too easily, always check the braids too - they should be laying nice and flat. It's amazing the difference adjusting the braids can have on the cars staying in the slot.

It would be helpful to give some idea what cars your running too - some cars handle better than others.

Comment

A bit of added mass (sticky based lead) also is real gravity as opposed to magnets (artificial gravity)...and it works better on the corners when the car drifts.

Comment

Wico

I got Wico as a Christmas gift a couple of years ago. I hadn't used them as I have slowly building a new track as time and $ permitted. I finally have the track up and ready to go, and used regular analogue controller/base that worked fine. Then I switched to wico which worked fine for about 10 laps. Then, while using 2 ninco cars, the car lights flickered - then nothing. The power lights went out on the power base and nothing works.

Needless to say, I'm very disappointed. Any thoughts on what went wrong or what to try?

Any help would be appreciated

Comment

Would have to know more... but it does sound like it got burned out somehow. Should never have happened with Ninco cars, unless they were hopped up somehow.

Did you smell anything when it happened? Any magic smoke make an appearance?

Comment

Originally posted by Flounder View Post
                      ...Then I switched to wico which worked fine for about 10 laps. Then, while using 2 ninco cars, the car lights flickered - then nothing. The power lights went out on the power base and nothing works...
                      Are you using the power supply that came with the set?

Do you have a crossover (lane switch) track in the layout?

_michael

Comment

I'm using the transformer that came with the set with non-modified cars. There was no smoke that I saw, the car headlights just flickered, the cars kind of "stuttered" on the track, then everything completely quit.
                        I don't have any crossovers on the track.
                        Last edited by Flounder; 01-12-2017, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Does the transformer that you used with the WICO powerbase have a green light and is in the middle of the cord?

Best regards,
                          Brian

Comment

Txfrmr

No, I have the analogue transformer.

Comment

The WICO power base is only to be used with the regulated N-Digital transformer. The NINCO analog transformer is unregulated and has too high of a voltage for the WICO power base. The WICO conversion kit and WICO race sets should include the N-Digital regulated transformer. NINCO put out a warning about this situation a few years ago.

In my opinion, it's too easy for the analog transformer to be used with the WICO power base since some customers start with a NINCO analog race set and then get the WICO conversion kit. In this situation, both transformers are around and whose to say that the right one gets used.

To anyone who has a NINCO analog transformer, please put a note on it that says don't use with the WICO power base.

Best regards,
                              Brian
                              Last edited by BSWAN72; 01-12-2017, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X