Ninco Track Cleaning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ninco Track Cleaning

How does everyone go about cleaning the track surface of your tracks? Ninco track having little pyramid shaped grips and being sharp and deep. Rubber, silicon, dirt, etc. must get lodged in the track, and built up over time. Keeping the rails fresh is easy, it's the plastic I'm concerned about. Any tips would be appreciated.

Don't worry about it.

Comment

I have several brands of track including Ninco, Scalextric and Carrera, rotating which layout is 'live' in my basement. Out of these brands, I find Ninco to be less affected by the tire residue and dust/dirt that kicks up in my basement, so I kinda agree with Mr. Flippant's comment above. Seems the dust/dirt settles into the nooks and crannies for the most part, less of it appears on the surface. When I look at a car's silicone tires after a 3-minute run, seems there's less to clean off the tires when using Ninco.

However, in an attempt to get to whatever dust/dirt/tire residue remained on the track, I do the following:

1. Vacuum the track (including the slots) to get out some of the loose dirt
      2. Using a clean rag, wipe/scrib the rails with WD-40 or Inox, taking care to stay on the rails and not shred the rag on the track surface
      3. Spray non-ammonia based windex (or similar cleaner) on track surface
      4. Using a scrub brush with nylon bristles, scrub track surface
      5. Let dry 10 minutes or so, the vacuum again.

I then run a bunch of laps on each lane with a car that has clean tires. I re-clean the tires (roll tires on tape, then wiping off tape residue with windex on rag) after every 10 laps or so, until I notice little if any visible residue on the tape. Then it's on to the next lane, typically I run a minimum of 50 laps or so on each lane.

I do the above a day before I'm hosting a club race. On the evening of the race date, I do the 5 steps above, but only run a few laps on each lane, as the racers help the clean the track by running their cars during practice.

That's what I do for Ninco track. I'm sure there's better methods out there, hoping others will chime in.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFlippant View Post
        Don't worry about it.
        +1 on that!

Comment

Originally posted by NJSLOT1_32 View Post
          2. Using a clean rag, wipe/scrub the rails with WD-40 or Inox, taking care to stay on the rails

....the racers help the clean the track by running their cars during practice.
          There, I took it down to the necessities (IMHO).

I do the INOX treatment... MAYBE once per year. It really lasts that long, or longer. I haven't actually NEEDED to do it since the first time, I just do it again every once in a long while because I feel like I should.

And, the practice time is really all the track cleaning needed. But, my track is in my garage which isn't especially dusty. If it hasn't been used AT ALL for multiple months, then I'll break out a dust cloth like a swiffer/grab-it kind of thing and go over the whole track. The only time I'll bother with a vacuum is if I've been doing some kind of work in the garage that creates a lot of dust. Car tires will always be able to pick up something that even a vacuum and scrub can't get, so I don't waste my time on it. I keep lint rollers and damp cloth at each driver station for quick and easy tire cleaning during practice time.

Also, this is on Scalextric Sport track, notorious for low levels of grip. For Ninco's sandpaper-like surface, I really can't imagine the need to do much of anything other than keep the rails in good condition.

Anyway, this is all to say that people have different attitudes and methods for getting their track into the racing condition that they like. Do whatever you want, but keep in mind the performance return on your investment of time.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFlippant View Post
            ...Also, this is on Scalextric Sport track, notorious for low levels of grip. For Ninco's sandpaper-like surface, I really can't imagine the need to do much of anything other than keep the rails in good condition.

Anyway, this is all to say that people have different attitudes and methods for getting their track into the racing condition that they like. Do whatever you want, but keep in mind the performance return on your investment of time.
            One thing I forgot to mention, which plays a large part in how much cleaning is needed. What tires do you (Headhuner) run on your Ninco track? If rubber or urethane, you can cut down somewhat on the amount of surface cleaning/vacuuming, the rubber buildup will add grip, if you're not running silicone tires. If silicone (as is in my case), cleaning before each race may be needed, it's very rare we run rubber tires on the rear.

Also depends on the track environment. My basement has concrete floors with fatigue mats and some carpet in areas. So dust kicks up, and some drops down from the ceiling over time, therefore I need to do the cleaning as described in post #3. In my case, it makes a difference; if your track is in a cleaner environment that mine, adjust as needed.

Comment

Working...
            X