New Motor Pod

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Motor Pod

Am I right in thinking that the new motor pod is stock on the new BMW 320's (SW41a, SW41b and SW42)? Other cars still have the older motor pod. Right?

Also, can we assume that all new cars from the Group 5 series will have the new motor pod? Will the Gulf Racing Porsche have the new motor pod?

And last question: is there a list somewhere of the tech specs of each model (wheelbase, track, weight, etc.)? Slot.it gives all this info on their website, is there a similar resource for Racer Group 5 cars?

I have the New Gulf Porsche and it doesn't comes with the New Pod! At least not the New SWM/AW-EVO or the Hard version????
    Axle carrier seems to be the same as the old ones?????????

Had a problem adding the new SWM/AW-EVO motor pod to the old Beta Montecarlo Gr.5 car.
    With the new bell-end top motor bracket,(one with two pins for the motor holes) the motor will not lay flat like it does with the old mount.
    Will not go Flush with the chassis on the bottom.
    Don't know if this will effect Lap times.
    All my other New cars have the brackets that allow the motor to be flush to the Chassis????
    Pic from another site:
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by sascws90; 09-23-2016, 08:04 AM. Reason: Pic and Not a new Pod in the Gulf

Comment

Got the answer to the motor not being Flush with the chassis!
      There are two different Can end top brackets. One small and one large. Both of the ones in the SWM/AW-EVO package were the large brackets???? Always check the parts list.......

Comment

WOW!!
        Just got an email from a Racer Sideways Dealer! Part missing to be replaced.
        Great Cars and Great Service!!!!!! peace-out

Comment

Don't forget to order the hardware screws with the new motor pod! I used these to secure the front of the motor.
          (SWMS/02 Metric Screws for Body - 2.2x8mm Big Head)
          Used the old screws for the front of the new pod!
          Last edited by sascws90; 09-23-2016, 08:02 AM.

Comment

New Motor POD (Hard).....Added to the Gulf car...
            Last edited by sascws90; 10-02-2016, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Highly recommended!

I recently installed one of the new generation pods and set up my JPS BMW M1 (thanks Christian!).

What I did was glue and true urethanes on 10mm Slot.it wheels for a bit of extra width (the inserts are a direct replacement fit), installed a Slot.it universal guide with a B-Nova adapter to drop the guide down a bit (as stock the nose of the car sits lower than I like), set the front axle height, oiled as required and off to the track. No weight added, no fancy tricks.

And promptly demolished the previous lap record! To me, any time you drop the lap record by a tenth of a second, that is a big deal. This car is just remarkably smooth and grips like you would not believe.

This pod is absolutely worth the bit of money and effort.

Alwyn

Comment

Mightily impressed

I have belatedly been granted the opportunity to enter in the Group 5 North American proxy. Due to the very good results I have had with my JPS BMW M1 I decided to enter an M1 in the proxy. Unlike the skilled entrants in the proxy, I am emphatically not a chassis builder, so I decided to try and do all the right things with the stock Sideways M1 and see if that could be competitive.

As one of the changes, I decided to replace the stock pod with one of the new harder red pods as per SASCWS90's photograph. While assembling the pod/motor assembly, I was struck by what a very, very good piece of engineering this is. Actually I was very impressed with the black hard pod I installed on my JPS M1: today's work on the pod just again reinforced my opinion.

Well done Racer: this is a great product!

Alwyn

Comment

Beta Montecarlo

I was surprised with the performance of the Beta Montecarlo when the New Pod was Added!!!

Comment

I tried the new pod, was about the same as running with a med hard slot it pod. Now with the ch82 slot.it hard pod 1.00 offset, much faster, no hop at all. This is on a wood track where the stiffer the chassis the better.

Comment

I'm on plastic track with the New Pods both Regular and Hard Versions. I put the Hard Pods in my 935's and the Lancia Beta's both got the regular New Pods. Seems to be more options with the Sideways New Pod..... 0.00, .5 and 1.00 offsets available not to mention better Motor Supports. I have seen pictures of the different offsets on the rear and the stock 0.00 worked best for my track.

1.0mm too low in the wheel well for me.....

Just right for my track!!
                      Last edited by sascws90; 10-13-2016, 03:30 PM. Reason: 1.0 offset pic added

Comment

What pod is fitted to OOB cars? I've only found black SWM-AW-EVO.

Will these pods fit all sideways angle winders?

Which would be best for plastic track? Hard or soft?

Sorry i'm a newbie to all this pod stuff.

Comment

[QUOTE=Abarth Mike;984940]What pod is fitted to OOB cars? I've only found black SWM-AW-EVO.

Will these pods fit all sideways angle winders?

Which would be best for plastic track? Hard or soft?

QUOTE]

I have plastic track and they work well on all the sidewinder cars that I have. Have not noticed which pod is better on my track. Both work great!! Maybe a wood track racer can chime in for you........
                          Last edited by sascws90; 10-10-2016, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Some thoughts

While putting together a RS Capri for the upcoming Group 5 Proxy, a few issues came up that I thought might be worth sharing. Other experiences, comments and opinions welcome.

• The anglewinder configuration limits the width of rear tire that can be used in some cars; typically about 10.5mm width on a 20mm diameter tire is the most you can squeeze in between the pinion and the inner fender. Changing to an aftermarket rim with a shorter or flush hub may gain a bit more clearance, but not much. Has anyone tried using an 18mm Spur with the hub boss on the outboard side and a zero hub rim (plus whatever pinion is appropriate for proper gear lash)?
                            • The pinion-spur gear clearance (lash) is a bit loose out of the box. It can be tightened up either by using spacers between the bearing and the spur (which will reduce the space available for tire width even more if a stock rim is used) or by changing from the stock 6.5mm pinion to a 6.75mm pinion. Also note that with the 0.5 and 1.0mm offset axle carriers, the axle position appears to be moved straight up rather than following an arc centered on the pinion, which means that the gear clearance increases with offset.
                            • The flanges on the bearings are very fragile; use extreme care when removing/reinstalling them from/to the axle carriers (necessary if you want to try a different axle height or a different motor pod).
                            • The optional stiffer “red” motor pod does not come with any hardware like screws or bearings and (worse) does not use the same screws as the stock motor pod (for example the motor clamp on the stock pod uses countersunk screws, the red pod requires flathead screws). Make sure you order or have on hand the bits required for assembly.
                            • The optional axle carriers that lower the pod and chassis by 0.5 or 1.0mm are of limited use as they will require narrower and/or smaller diameter tires to avoid tire rub on the inner wheel well. Care is required in selecting the tire diameter as the smaller tire will also reduce track to chassis clearance. Be aware that the small tire plus lowering will give the car a very “slammed” look.
                            • The pod is made up of many parts (main body, axle carrier, bottom front motor clamp, top front motor clamp, rear motor clamp, front mount plate. Because of this are a lot of joints, meaning a lot of potential places for flex to occur. In addition the bearing mounts do not have a great deal of support either longitudinally or laterally. Gluing all joints and seams and filling the gaps will help reduce flex at these locations.

I added an axle tube to provide additional lateral support:

And then bonded in the bearings and axle tube and filled the gaps with epoxy; glued all the joints with cyano-acrylate and used Goop to bond the motor to the pod:

All this may be overkill, and it probably would have been smarter just to switch to a sidewinder, but hey, half the fun is tryin' out different stuff . None of the above is intended to slag the Racer cars, which are obviously reasonably well thought out and executed - just some observations on my part. Look forward to hearing from others.

cheers
                            Scott

Comment

Woah, what a useful thread!

Thanks to all for taking the time. And pictures.

Comment

Working...
                              X