No announcement yet.

1/24 home set cars

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Randy/Dave, I am going to respond to the two of you together here. And I decided pictures are going to be worth more than a thousand of my words!

DSC01459.jpg

The car came with wheels with the appropriate (very good looking!) BMW inserts. I just had to remove the inserts from the plastic wheels and put them in the metal wheels I bought. To do that I cut the plastic wheels apart though. From left to right the above pic shows the plastic wheel after I cut it in two but put together again for this photograph. The middle two show how I cut the wheel in two close to the back end of the raised rib. Here you can also see how the insert was glued to the boss in the middle of the top (rear) section. You can also see where I slit the rim part afterwards to easily remove the insert. Lastly the rear of the insert itself showing where it was glued to the boss in the wheel. Other than at that point the insert was not glued to the wheel so it came out cleanly: it popped straight into the metal wheel and was a snug enough fit that, without any gluing, it was a bit of a chore to get it out of the wheel for these pics.

The metal wheel on the axle:

DSC01461.jpg

Here you can see the flat. So the metal wheel does not have any flat but the flat on the axle is narrow enough that it does not cause any fit issues for the wheel: no movement/slop.

Dave: as for whether the wheels are the same size as on the race model: I cannot comment on that as I do not have any of the race versions. The metal replacement wheels I bought on Alan's recommendation (part # SC-4043) is exactly the same size as the plastic wheels fitted to the home series car and the tyres could have been a direct swap had I not bought urethanes. I suspect that the SC-4043 wheels are the same size as on the race cars but I do not know that for a fact: sorry!

Hope this helps guys.

Alwyn

Comment

The wheels on the Rolling chassis are the same as the wheels Alwyn photo'd They will take the Scaleauto inserts and they will take the same tires as the metal wheels that come on the racing Series of Cars. Axles are 3mmso the same as the Racing Series there as well. Spur gears are the same also Inside measurement should be around 21mm. If you want to do 60's cars maybe the Scaleauto BRM wheels with sponge tires would work or ScaleRacing/BRM Trans Am wheels and tires?

The Race wheels if you mean Sponge like SC-2421 are going to hae a slightlyb different offset. I normally have to remove about 2mm of spacers to fit the Sponge wheeltires on the Race Series Scaleauto 1:24 cars.

Alan Smith
      SCI Owner.
      www.scaleracing.com
      www.slotcarillustrated.com
      www.facebook.com/scaleracingcenter
      www.132slotcar.us

1-253-255-1807

Comment

Actually I was going to keep the plastic wheels so I could run them with the my Carrera cars which has plastic wheels. I just need to know if PG has the tires that fit the stock wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by dw5555 View Post
          Actually I was going to keep the plastic wheels so I could run them with the my Carrera cars which has plastic wheels. I just need to know if PG has the tires that fit the stock wheels.
          Yes: the tyres that I got from Paul fit the original wheels as well. I had sent him an e-mail asking for the appropriate size and he advised that his PGT-SCA-124-Rears are the right ones. Now I know this is not as per the usual Paul Gage tyre nomenclature but that is what he invoiced me for and what I got that works.

And you will have to work out some kind of handicap "balance of performance" formula to have the Carreras and the Scaleautos race each other as the Scaleauto is in a different universe, never mind a different league!

Comment

Thanks for the info, that's what I needed to know. As far as performance goes anything can be detuned. It's going the other way where you have problems.

Comment

Originally posted by dw5555 View Post
              goes anything can be detuned. It's going the other way where you have problems.
              Ahh yes, I am frequently able to detune my cars while trying to IMPROVE performance!

Comment

Alwyn and Alan... boy, try saying that 3 times fast.Lol [and my middle name is Allen]. That answers all of my questions perfectly.
                Appreciate you taking the time. Those inserts ARE really nice, and the reason I thought they may be different wheels.
                I hadn't thought about the BRM wheels. I will check those out.
                Thanks again,
                Randy

Comment

Working...
                X