No announcement yet.

Scaleauto 1/24th Scale Readers Rides

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Darren your entry in the 12 hour race was beautiful. Was it a yellow base coat and the rest decal?

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by zipdrive View Post
      Darren your entry in the 12 hour race was beautiful. Was it a yellow base coat and the rest decal?

Greg

I can field this one since I don't think Darren has visited here for a while and I have seen the car first hand (I made the decal set for it) but he can correct me if I'm wrong. He painted the entire car in 4 different colours, I think there was the yellow base coat followed by the silver, dark blue and light blue. Each colour layer being masked off from the next in succession and each colour that was laid down was followed by a coat of clear after masking to prevent bleed. Then the decals were applied followed by at least 1 more coat of clear. If I'm not mistaken the entire car was done with an air brush.

Is that right Darren?

Comment

Hi Greg

Gord is right. The yellow, blues and silver were all done with an air brush. Used Tamiya paint and clear coat. Can't remember the order I did it in but I have a suspicion I did the silver first then the yellow, light blue and dark blue last! Went through quite a bit of tape, my reasoning was I didn't want to have to "cover" a darker colour if my masking was off? I used 2 bottles of clear just to try and protect the finish, for the most part it stood up very well.

Darren

Comment

I wounder if the decals could be designed so only a yellow base coat was needed? Maybe a large hood decal and two side decals? Some decal setting solution and a little work might work. After I did the Fina McLaren I felt almost anything is possable.

Comment

Anything is possible with enough time. I have seen someone do a tape mold for making decals - basically cover the car in tape make a grid on it.
            Remove it and then cut the shape to lay flat! Sort of makes a "wrap" !
            Way too involved for my liking - I'd rather just paint as the decals can be a nightmare over bigger areas.
            The Z4 Turner Motorsports was not that easy to get smooth and it isn't what I'd call a difficult livery. The RumBum one on the other hand

Comment

I've got a couple to add.

and

Comment

Those both look great Professor!!!!

Comment

Comment

Blue on blue on blue!

^ Nice one! ^

Would be interesting to know how much is paint, and how much is decals!

Comment

Working...
                    X