Scaleauto Porsche 991 White Kit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scaleauto Porsche 991 White Kit

Thought I would do a quick write up of the build of the white kit from Scaleauto. Straight off the bat this looks a good kit. The body is still on the sprue like an Airfix kit of old. The mouldings are good with very little extra and few mould lines. The chassis is pre-assembled. So only the body to put together. This is a pretty straight forward kit and while there are no instructions it all made sense to this enquiring mind. I laid the parts out and placed them next to the obvious position on the body or interior under tray. It is a half tray interior and of racing that works for me.

The chassis is the new one from Scaleauto and is simpler and beefier at the same time. It looks good. The kit is easier to assemble than the Viper. There is plenty of choice regarding the front fender layout. Porsche-files will know which is right for the livery better than I.

The kit was simply painted humbrol spray french blue with a flat black interior. These paints seem to come out of the can faster than Tamiya and the model needs to be a little further away from the spray can. With practice it is more a case of horses for courses. The painting is not something I am proud of!

Regarding assembly just follow the simple steps. Interior, light units, exterior and really there is little else to say. The interior tray is fiddly to put in the body. Go from front to rear. The roll cage is a finger issue until enough of the cage is fixed into the half tray then it all seems quite easy.

The car is drying now and awaiting a test run.

A nice little bony with the kit is there are three extra headlight lens. Which helps with the onbe that always gets dropped on the floor!!! and lost.

The side windows pop in on the little white pins/pegs on the body. The clear perspex side windows are then "lifted", or levered into the car body side, I used my finger nail so as to not scratch the perspex. And are thus held in place. Pictures to follow!!!

Comment

I found the original gearing wasn't that smooth so replaced
      the pod with a slot it -1 and some slot it gears.
      On Ninco plastic it flies

Comment

wow great body. Nice job, I am envious of your painting skills. The whole chassis looks more robust than previous Scaleauto offerings. The pillars around the rear bearings for the rear axle are more substantial.

Comment

the best thing about the chassis is the reduced weight.
          The previous version (non R) was thicker and full of screws holding it together.
          The decal set I used is from DMC.
          do post a pic when you are done
          cheers
          peter

Comment

**** you, I had to order one of these. I will not build it till some time in June when I am sitting out in the woods at camp. I now have the Porsche and the viper, I am planning on getting all the white kits with the newer chassis. Be nice to build them out in the peaceful quiet wilds.

Comment

Pete and Dan,

Sent you a PM.

I can't get the thing to fit together and even if I do after a fashion there is a 2mm+ gap between the rear body post and the chassis. OK I can make a spacer out of a Chupa Chup stick as I couldn't find one in the kit.

Also I can't see how the rear diffuser with the winglets can possibly fit.

Obviously I'm not as clever as I thought!

Comment

Mike
                I am up in Vancouver and the car is down in Tacoma. I do not remember any gaps during assembly. Indeed this is a pretty straight forward assembly by memory.

Comment

Is this 1/32 or 1/24?

Comment

Yes this is the 1/32 version Scaleauto are making. After a month or so since the build I would have to say this car works well. The design of it is as my dad would say is "sorted". By that I mean easy to build and runs well on the track to. Nice one Cyril.

Comment

A word of caution? The drivers body is a flexible plastic . Different to the hard plastic of the interior where his legs are molded.
                      The paint on my drivers arms is still not dry whereas his legs are. So maybe use a different kind of paint to the Tamiya stuff I used.

Comment

^ OK I've "cooked" the paint under a desk lamp and it is still not dry!

Comment

Primer before painting?

Comment

No because i didn't want to change the driver's colour I just painted his sleeves, gloves and seat belts.

EDIT: Broke down and removed paint with acetone. Will start again.
                            Last edited by Abarth Mike; 05-19-2016, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Abarth Mike View Post
                              Pete and Dan,

Sent you a PM.

I can't get the thing to fit together and even if I do after a fashion there is a 2mm+ gap between the rear body post and the chassis. OK I can make a spacer out of a Chupa Chup stick as I couldn't find one in the kit.

Also I can't see how the rear diffuser with the winglets can possibly fit.

Obviously I'm not as clever as I thought!
                              Scaleauto can be a bit inconsistent with how they supply parts.
                              Obviously what is missing in the white kit are the body spacers that are assembled when you buy a RTR car, or a chassis (the little red bits in the middle)
                              They even have them in a hard and soft version.

image courtesey of www. electricdreams.com

But I would not worry too much about missing them, yes you can make your own spacer should you want to, but the best set-up for the SA cars is to use the body grubscrews just ahead of the rear axle and use those to support the body and regulate the body ride height.

Got my white kit a couple of weeks ago, and looks like the extra diffuser was included in the parts tree to be used when you would mount the body on the older "universal" R3 chassis.

with kind regards
                              Tamar

[email protected] Abarth Mike, try some of the vallejo acrylic paints for the driver.

Comment

Working...
                              X