First Scaleauto

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Scaleauto

Although we have been racing modified H bracket chassis (Scaleauto, Scholer, Plafit,Slotting Plus) for years, Ron and I decided to acquire Scale auto Porsches and give them a try in stock form. The cars were acquired several months ago and I had hoped to have mine ready for a visit to Scale Racing Center in late June. Life got in the way and I simply ran out of time. Last evening Ron came over with his 911. The plan was to test his set up on my track, (Electron Raceway a wood routed track in my shop) and then after we got his running pretty well, we would copy the set up on mine. Ron's car had a few problems at first. The wheelbase was not set correctly and the wheels rubbed on the body under cornering slowing lap times. After he got that sorted out the car ran pretty well. My car came with the wheelbase properly adjusted. All I did was swap out the tires to ProComps, flat spot the axle and go. The car ran but I was not happy with cornering. My track's braid depth in not very deep so the front wheels did not touch. The only way I could see to change the guide depth was to mount the guide flag mount on top of the chassis rather than on the bottom. This turned out to be a simple fix. After that the car ran pretty well turning a fast lap of 5.7 seconds.

Our modified H bracket cars use more powerful motors (Hawk 7 or ProSlot 16ds), Protrack foam tires and custom brass side and front pans. In this form it is not unusual to break 5 seconds. With the lower center of gravity afforded by the pans and the more powerful motor the cars handle very well. Anyway that gives you a frame of reference.

The Stock Scaleautos were quick enough but were harder to drive due to their higher CG. Don't get me wrong, they were still a blast. The other thing I noticed was that the body was made from thin plastic. I have been shown a car that has been bullet proofed with shoe goo and I think that is the way to go. It may make the car a bit slower but I am sure it will limit carnage.

Below is an image of my 911

Also, I did have my visit to Scale Racing Center. Here is the link to the article I wrote.

http://slotblog.net/topic/69878-scal...a/#entry644859

Good looking car!
    Where BRM and Scaleauto blow away the competition is eyeball.

When we race, the difference is a few thousandths of a second on the track.
    Since everyone is competing against the same set-up, the driving matters more than the car.
    I like that fact because newbs seem to get it more quickly w/o having to learn the rocket science.

I think it's about time the manufacturers flat spotted their own axles.

Comment

Originally posted by Xr4ti View Post
      Good looking car!
      Where BRM and Scaleauto blow away the competition is eyeball.

When we race, the difference is a few thousandths of a second on the track.
      Since everyone is competing against the same set-up, the driving matters more than the car.
      I like that fact because newbs seem to get it more quickly w/o having to learn the rocket science.

I think it's about time the manufacturers flat spotted their own axles.

Bingo - Alan Smith's philosophy for his Scale Racing center. Check you the link above

Comment

Originally posted by rvec View Post
        Bingo - Alan Smith's philosophy for his Scale Racing center. Check you the link above
        I read that.
        As I remember the hobby it has always been about racing scale appearing cars with friends having fun.
        The value of a car that looks as good as the BRM/Scaleauto offerings is a powerful incentive to drive ones best at all times. This last race could have gotten by with 1 or 2 turn marshalls. Incidents were rare, to say the least. By the end of the 6 hours, the newbs were right there. It was pretty cool.

Comment

We have been running the 1/24 Scaleauto cars for a few years now. They are our favorite class. The cars are very equal. We have had some 3 way ties for the win.

Comment

Good article Rich!

I'd love to run some 1/24 cars, Scale Autos, hard body etc... I've run a few 1/32 scale auto cars and the quality fit of their bodies and chassis I'm disapointed in. I like their motors and how their cars look but overall quality is lacking. Being back in the Hobby for about 9 months now, I've seen poor quality in all the manufactures, Slot.it NSR to name the top dogs, scalelectric, Carrera is more of a toy to me so you get what you pay for at that price point.

Maybe some day I'll get up north and I can run some 1/24 cars with you.

Don

Comment

Originally posted by Hundo View Post
              Good article Rich!

I'd love to run some 1/24 cars, Scale Autos, hard body etc... I've run a few 1/32 scale auto cars and the quality fit of their bodies and chassis I'm disapointed in. I like their motors and how their cars look but overall quality is lacking. Being back in the Hobby for about 9 months now, I've seen poor quality in all the manufactures, Slot.it NSR to name the top dogs, scalelectric, Carrera is more of a toy to me so you get what you pay for at that price point.

Don

The Scaleauto 1/24 cars need to be blueprinted before they turn a wheel on the track. One has to make sure that the chassis is flat and all pieces fit together as they are supposed to. Burrs must be sanded, blue lock tight on all of the bolts, bulletproofing the bodies with shoe goo. It is a time consuming process. A newbie might get frustrated with the process and might need some guidance. Anyway, the end result is quite good. I'll post as others in our group acquire Scaleauto and hopefully begin racing these in a class by themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by rvec View Post
                The Scaleauto 1/24 cars need to be blueprinted before they turn a wheel on the track. One has to make sure that the chassis is flat and all pieces fit together as they are supposed to. Burrs must be sanded, blue lock tight on all of the bolts, bulletproofing the bodies with shoe goo. It is a time consuming process. A newbie might get frustrated with the process and might need some guidance. Anyway, the end result is quite good. I'll post as others in our group acquire Scaleauto and hopefully begin racing these in a class by themselves.

Sounds like good ole car prep

Comment

I ran a 1/24th scale series at my local Commercial Track last year. We used the Scale Auto Gt cars, the class was supposed to be a Spec. Class but it didn't stay that way for very long. Most of the drivers were regular Wing Car drivers and these were "just too slow" for them and the HP wars began. Anyway on to the cars, they are beautiful, they do need to be "blue printed" and the addition of foam tires really made them fun to drive. The Scale Racing Center is on my list when we are in Washington State later this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Bill View Post
                    I ran a 1/24th scale series at my local Commercial Track last year. We used the Scale Auto Gt cars, the class was supposed to be a Spec. Class but it didn't stay that way for very long. Most of the drivers were regular Wing Car drivers and these were "just too slow" for them and the HP wars began. The Scale Racing Center is on my list when we are in Washington State later this year.

Your first statement is one that Alan touched upon in our interview. The Specs for Scaleauto are clearly defined in his rules. Basically no modifications except blueprinting and ProComp tires. This appeals to the majority of folks who want close racing and do not want to spend much extra time and $$$ on aftermarket parts. I totally agree with Alan on this point.

Interesting enough I read another post some time ago describing what happened at a commercial raceway that sponsored races for spec cars (not sure if Scaleauto and BRM). It went something like this. At first there was a lot of excitement about the class. 15-20 racers showed up to race and have fun. Racing was pretty close. Then some agitators insisted that the rules be loosened so that modifications could be made to improve performance. The few racers that spent a lot of time on the mods began winning consistently leaving others in the dust. The group dwindled down to 10, then 5 then three and finally the class was eliminated from the schedule. Very sad.

Modified classes can work at club facilities where there are experienced racers/tuners/builders. At Electron we have modified classes using H bracket chassis like Scaleauto and others. We have 5-8 participants on a regular basis. It is very hard to attract new members in a small town. Maybe a true simple spec class as suggested by Alan might attract some new blood. Anyway, I am considering a Scaleauto class using Alan's rules.

Secondly, I am glad to see that you will be visiting the Scaleracing Center later this year. I know you will enjoy the experience. Check with Alan on race nights and classes. It is difficult to determine from the website or facebook page what they are running on a regular basis. Big races are announced far in advance but be prepared for a long visit and teaming up with others for these types of events. Some are 4 hours, one is 24 hours

Comment

Yes I agree completely, what you described is actually what happened were I raced. Alan had been in contact with the track owner and even offered to come down and help with a start up race to help the program takeoff. I ran my cars(one wasn't enough) stock except I changed to a brass pinion and the Scale Auto foams that where supposed to be run. If another series were to start locally I would get another car (sold the two I had) to run the series.

Comment

Working...
                      X