New Scaley GT cars w/inline set up.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Scaley GT cars w/inline set up.

I now have several of the new Porsches, BMWs and Mercedes and all three are excellent racers. The new inline configuration is a head and shoulders improvement over the old sidewinder set up. Collectors may be unhappy with the tray interiors but I for one am totally satisfied with the level of detail. Slot cars first, collector cars second. And the new motor is a perfect match for the chassis, not as powerful as a 21.5K rpm motor but quicker than the old 18K motor.

I have the newer Porsche GT3 car with the inline set up and it is about 1/2 second SLOWER than the Mclaren with the older sidewinder set up. I much prefer the sidewinder. I don't mind the tray interior and the new motor but not sure why they went with the inline set up.

Tom

Comment

You will find the scalextric mclaren gt3 is quite a lot faster then any other gt3 they make sidewinder or not. They are banned in our scalextric gt3 series.

Comment

Originally posted by monovell View Post
        not sure why they went with the inline set up.Tom

Totally guessing here but it may be more cost effective. If all thinks being equal cost wise in the chassis department then there is a savings in a tray interior vs full interior.

Dave

Comment

There are a whole host of reasons for the change which you can read about in their newsletter from a couple years ago when they were promoting the PCR concept. It all pretty much boils down to what they believed was best for the racing community, especially the option of the PCR chassis and being able to use a variety of motor configurations. Although the change to inline does make for some interesting competitions when the field includes both, they did a lot of other good things in their re-design, such as a standard wheel design (rib dimensions) so that any slot.it compatible tire can be used on any of these new cars.

Comment

Originally posted by falcons707 View Post
            You will find the scalextric mclaren gt3 is quite a lot faster then any other gt3 they make sidewinder or not. They are banned in our scalextric gt3 series.
            why. we have also have a scalextic gt3 class. and have found they are hit and miss just like scalextic motors.one guy has one that runs great right out the box and others not so much.

Comment

I too have had poor results with the new McLaren GT3 car. I guess it is still the variations in motors that make them different for their owners. My biggest objection to 90% of the sidewinders are the screeching gears.

Comment

Originally posted by Modlerbob View Post
                I too have had poor results with the new McLaren GT3 car. I guess it is still the variations in motors that make them different for their owners. My biggest objection to 90% of the sidewinders are the screeching gears.
                need to break in the gears I 1st take the slop out of the bushings with the super glue trick and then use small amount of tooth past on the gear at 5 volts till they get smooth . clean the gears and lube.
                the other problem we have found is the spur gear comes loose and spins. when that happens you either have to buy a new axle or modify the old axle with a slot spur gear.if you can get one of the hubs off with out breaking it you are good to go. if not then a new axle is in order.

Comment

Originally posted by falcons707 View Post
                  We just had a 3 hour stock scalextric GT3 enduro race at a commercial track in Holly Hill, Fl. 7 entries, 3 Porsche 911 GT3s, 2 Mercedes AMG and two of the McLarens. The McLarens came in 6th and 7th. Porsches 1st and third.

Comment

Hi all.

Interesting reading your comments. We have a standard Scaly GT class but my BMW Z4 cannot get anywhere near the others which are all old school sidewinders including a new SW Aston Martin. The rest are mainly Chevrolet Corvettes with my other car being the Audi R8. One of the problems is that the BMW is quite a bit lighter but the tyres supplied with car are very poor. More like the Slot-it demo tyres that come with their cars. Despite my best efforts it also rattles around the track. The only mod allowed is to glue and true the tyres. I also had to glue the bearings in however as they are very loose and would occasionally pop out even when new - not a normal Scaly problem.

Can I ask do you run magnet? Use original Scaly tyres. Are you allowed to use weight?

Look forward to your comments. We race on very smooth two pot paint.

Regards Charles Le Breton

Comment

We are allowed only to run with whatever magnets come with the car. The track has very loose fitting magnabraid and if someone tries to add magnet downforce it pulls up the braid and shorts out. Any aftermarket brand of tire is allowed. The track is painted pressboard. Several of us have the BMWs but they don't handle as well as the Porsches and Mercedes. A couple of our weekly racers have the sidewinder Aston Martin and they do well.

Comment

Which motor are you guys running in your cars? The newer green or black end bells, or the older white end bells?

I have 1 Aston, 2 McLaren's, and 3 Porsches, and find that the newer motors, although top speed doesn't change, feel stronger (more torque perhaps?) and that makes the biggest difference in lap times.

Comment

Working...
                        X