ARC Air Powerbase

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARC Air Powerbase

The ARC Air Powerbase seems really sensitive, so I'm wondering if there are mods to protect it from shorts on the track or voltage spikes? (I've done some searching, but have not seen anything).

I have some ideas for a simple circuit (diode, TVS, and capacitor), but don't want to re-invent the wheel.

=== EDIT ===
    BTW,
    I replaced the original 15VDC transformer with my old Pyramid PS26KX 6-15 VDC Power Supply, and that helped a lot, especially with non-Scalextric cars.
    Last edited by HookEm; 01-27-2019, 08:35 PM. Reason: Add note about power supply

Can you describe the symptoms of the problem? What are you seeing that makes you believe it's "sensitive"? Please also describe the kind(s) of cars you're running that exhibit these issues, and if the same problems occur with all cars, or only particular cars.

Comment

Well I can't say that the ARC AIR powerbase shorts more than any other system I have. In fact by cutting the power I would argue that when a piece of metal causes a short helps protect the electronics and the cars...

How many amps is the the power supply you are using?

Comment

Originally posted by MrFlippant View Post
        Can you describe the symptoms of the problem? What are you seeing that makes you believe it's "sensitive"? Please also describe the kind(s) of cars you're running that exhibit these issues, and if the same problems occur with all cars, or only particular cars.
        Using the original wall-wart, when I tried powering up my Fly cars the powerbase would go from Green to Red, requiring a reboot (unplugging power) to get it functioning again.

However, those synptoms have subsided once I started using the Pyramid (variable) power supply:
        6-15 VDC, 22A.
        Last edited by HookEm; 01-28-2019, 07:37 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

It's a known issue that non-Hornby cars cause the powerbase to trip.
          Hornby themselves has said that you SHOULD be able to go up to 4 amps without causing damage.
          You will of course hurt your warranty ....

Comment

Originally posted by DVD3500 View Post
            It's a known issue that non-Hornby cars cause the powerbase to trip.
            Hornby themselves has said that you SHOULD be able to go up to 4 amps without causing damage.
            You will of course hurt your warranty ....
            OK, I was hoping there was history on this... Here's what I'm hearing:
            - The "known issue" is just drawing too much power, or at least more than what the wall-wart is able to provide? (I presume then, that on a large current draw the wall-wart lowers its voltage below a level that trips the powerbase.).
            - And the "fix" simply swapping out the power supply (as I've done), at the risk of voiding the warranty?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by HookEm View Post

OK, I was hoping there was history on this... Here's what I'm hearing:
              - The "known issue" is just drawing too much power, or at least more than what the wall-wart is able to provide? (I presume then, that on a large current draw the wall-wart lowers its voltage below a level that trips the powerbase.).
              - And the "fix" simply swapping out the power supply (as I've done), at the risk of voiding the warranty?

Thanks.
              How is the power base working out for you? What was the power base you used and did it plug right in or did you splice the end on it?

Comment

Working...
              X