Just a simple question about cleaning the oxidation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a simple question about cleaning the oxidation

from my track. I have a sport track, actually two sets worth and Ive stored it a few years in a big suitcase here. And now I plan to take it to the grandkids house and set them up a track of their own. I did buy some new controllers and power pack and terminal track. But my track looks so dingy nest to this nice shiney terminal. Has anyone got the right chemical that will bring back the shine? I've already exhausted all of the stuff I have. Cleaners and polishes and toothpaste and braid cleaner all seem impotent. What works? Dave, save me! It's for the children! Help!
    Last edited by silverhelmet; 02-07-2019, 01:14 PM. Reason: sp

Inox works.

Comment

And who or whom is Inox? I've never met her.

Is she an American? But I've met you and I'm still puzzled. Does Alan know you? I mean really KNOW you?

Comment

Sorry, didn't mean to be obscure (or no more than normal), I was using my phone to reply and in a hurry!

Here's a useful thread on it, even tells you where to go ... to buy it!

Comment

I would not try to get old Sport or Classic Track rails bright again

I do not recommend trying to get the rails to be bright again, Scalextric track is plated and any attempt to clean can easily remove the plating. Then rust will quickly appear.
          Many years ago I made this mistake and cleaned my Scalextric track to bright again, left it for a few days and surface rust appeared.

We sell INOX at www.132slotcar.us it is a lanolin based oil that can be used to treat your track. It will improve conductivity.
          Running Scalextric track is the best way to keep the rails clean.

I do not recommend petroleum based oils or WD 40 as these will attack the plastic and eventually make your track brittle. Ask me how I know
          Alan Smith
          SCI Owner.
          www.scaleracing.com
          www.slotcarillustrated.com
          www.facebook.com/scaleracingcenter
          www.132slotcar.us

1-253-255-1807

Comment

Originally posted by Scaleracing View Post
            I do not recommend trying to get the rails to be bright again, Scalextric track is plated and any attempt to clean can easily remove the plating. Then rust will quickly appear.
            Many years ago I made this mistake and cleaned my Scalextric track to bright again, left it for a few days and surface rust appeared.(
            Ahh, the fate of humanity: to individually repeat our mistakes over and over again into perpetuity...

I did the same thing in the sixties when I was in my very early teens.

Comment

Working...
            X