Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scalextric App Race Control app now available!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scalextric App Race Control app now available!

The new Scalextric ARC One system will be hitting shelves soon, and they have released their mobile app in preparation for that time. It's currently available to BLE (Bluetooth 4) compatible mobile devices on the Google Play app store in North America. That's all I can verify, because that's all I have. If someone with a recent (BLE capable) iPhone can check the iStore, that would be cool. Similarly, in other countries. Just search for "Scalextric" and look for the blue and white ARC app thumbnail.

For those who are unaware, ARC stands for App Race Control, and is Scalextric's new system where a mobile device is your race management system (RMS). The ARC One is the first system to be released, and is a two lane analog system with wired controllers. There will also be a two lane analog version with wireless controllers called the ARC Air, and finally a 6 car, 2 lane digital system with wireless controllers called the ARC Pro. The ARC One should be hitting shelves any day now.

As mentioned, the app is the RMS. It includes a long list of features, such as different race types (grand prix, endurance, etc), custom cars, tracks. It even has fuel, weather, and tire simulation features, depending on which system it is in control of.

For those interested, the app is free to download and will work without the ARC base, though you will not be able to run races. You can configure cars and tracks and race types and explore all the current and potential features of the app.

I look forward to picking up the ARC One set when it is released, to play around with this with some actual racing. I'm especially looking forward to getting the ARC Pro when it is released. Being able to control the entire race from my phone or tablet is something I've wanted for years.

As of today in the Apple app store it's not there. Just the slot car 'sim' apps.

Comment

There have been reports elsewhere that it is available on Google Play for Android devices in the UK, so I suspect that most of the world that gets Scalextric will have access to the app. The important note is that the device must be compatible, or it won't shot in your Play store listing. For example, I have a tablet that is Android 4.1, but it doesn't have Bluetooth 4 (BLE), and so the app does not show in the search results on that device.

iStore things seem to take longer, but I would guess that it will be up there soon.

Comment

Just checked Google Play with my compatible phone - it's there, a total of 1 download and 1 review. Guess who the review is from?

Comment

The review might be mine, but it's hard to say who's really first, since it showed 1 download when I downloaded it. The 1 review popped in after I reviewed it, but I just rated it. I think download count and review count takes a little time to update. I expect we'll see a few dozen downloads by tomorrow. I also posted on Scalextric's Facebook post about it. I'm surprised they haven't made an announcement, but maybe they're waiting for the iStore to have it, or for the sets to be on shelves.

Comment

I downloaded it and was surprised to see that it asked what set you have. Considering that the sets aren't ARC sets and a mixture of analog and digital, do you understand why they ask that? I would get it if they had announced standalone upgrades but I don't think I've heard that.

Comment

I think it's primarily a cross-selling opportunity. They know people will download the app without buying an ARC system. They also know that people who buy an ARC system might buy another set. It's also an easy way to add the track and cars you have to your collection. I would expect that they'll add more and more sets and cars to the lists over time, but I would think they'll focus on products that are most likely to still be in the retail chain, along with those that are new and upcoming. I noticed that when you pick a set, that you can choose layouts based on the addition of their various expansion packs. There's no layout editor like their other app has. It would be cool if they integrated that in the future, but I suspect they won't. It doesn't really effect much other than the actual and scale speed feature.

Comment

Just downloaded app. I can for see scalextric getting into my wallet in the near future LOL

Comment

I've been fiddling with the App for a day now and my only real complaint is the lack of characters allowed for car descriptions and track names. Surely they could have given more than 7 characters for these functions. Makes adding my collection of cars into the app kind of useless. Otherwise it looks solid. Can't wait to try it for it's intended purpose of race control.

Comment

Yeah, that's the main thing I see wrong. The built-in cars and tracks have nice long names, why can't ours?

Comment

Just saw that the iOS version of the App has been released. Downloaded it to my devices and now I am waiting for the ARC starter set to be released, too.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up! I'm hoping to snag a starter set soon, too.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFlippant View Post
                          Thanks for the heads up! I'm hoping to snag a starter set soon, too.
                          Did anyone get one of these sets yet? I saw the track+arc set yesterday turned from pre-order to available on hornby's usa site. The powerbase is still pre-order.

All the available info shows ARC ONE is for 2 lane analog track, no digital yet.

I asked HA about date on the digital carbon set that, from the box at least, appears to include all the new goodies (RCS?). The answer was for late 2015 early 2016.

Comment

I set one up for Alan at his shop. Yes, it's just 2 car/lane analog, but it's pretty slick. It's cool you got a kind of official answer about the ARC Pro, but late 2015 is no surprise. Hopefully it's not 2016, though. Here's a video of the ARC One I made after setting it up and getting it working with Alan's tablet (it wouldn't work with my phone, which is not on the compatible device list).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tUrHGwkkn8"]Scalextric A.R.C. hands on - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Nice, thanks for the video. Looks like ARC has a neat presentation, I like it.

Comment

Working...
                              X