Scalextric Wheel Issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scalextric Wheel Issue

I have been racing 1/32 plastic chassis cars for the last three plus years mostly with very good results. I have noticed one problem associated with Scalextric more than any other brand. The rear plastic wheels seem to split at the point the axle goes in and the wheel comes off. This is very common (in my experience) with the TransAm cars but also for others such as the Aston Martin Coupe and others. I did replace my rear assembly on the TransAm cars with slot it items however, one club mandated stock rims and gears. I have heard that some people took the wheels off when new and put them back on with super glue and they even went to the extent of drilling a hole in the center of the rim to allow any excess glue to escape. Has anyone else had these problems and do you do something like the super glue fix?

When I encounter a split hub/wheel on any make 1/32 car I drill a relief hole as you suggest for excess glue to escape. But before that step I'll cut a sleeve to the length I need from the appropriate size of aluminum tubing. When pressed over the hub the sleeve acts as a collar and compresses the split hub for a snug fit on the axle. Then apply a bit of super glue gel and install the hub. Wipe off any excess glue and your good to go. Hope this helps.

Thom

Comment

Originally posted by phnz up View Post
      When I encounter a split hub/wheel on any make 1/32 car I drill a relief hole as you suggest for excess glue to escape. But before that step I'll cut a sleeve to the length I need from the appropriate size of aluminum tubing. When pressed over the hub the sleeve acts as a collar and compresses the split hub for a snug fit on the axle. Then apply a bit of super glue gel and install the hub. Wipe off any excess glue and your good to go. Hope this helps.

Thom

Excellent advice! Thanks Thom

Stu

Comment

Working...
      X