Greg's Scalextric ARC Pro Platinum GT set hands-on video

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrFlippant View Post
    Yep. It's called Screen Mirroring, or whatever your brand of device calls it. You'll need a compatible TV of some kind, and then you can have the device screen shown on the TV or projector. Problem is, right now, it's portrait mode only, and the TV I have doesn't have a way to tell it to rotate the input so that I can turn the screen sideways. So, I get a large tablet sized view of my tablet in the middle of my huge TV screen (the sides are black)
    Are you experiencing any lag when screen mirroring? The delay I experience make the the screen being mirrored to not usable as a main display if also relying on the audio (for starts, etc). Certain older Samung devices supported MHL adapter that would allow for micro USB to HDMI output, but I have do not have a MHL adapter.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFlippant View Post
      I think I figured out Pace Cars. Essentially, it's a lap or time limited head-to-head race between your chosen car (based on controller ID) and any of the other cars. Literally nothing else.

Whichever car you choose, it must be the only controller turned on/active. If more than one controller is active, the app will force the lowest ID to be the one for the human to control. For example, if I have controllers 2 and 4 turned on, and I want to use controller 4 for the car on ID 4, I can't do that until I turn OFF controller 2. The lowest ID# will ALWAYS be the human driven car. All others will be the pace car. You can watch this in action prior to the race because the border of the driver info box (top and left sides of box) will be the color of the controller # that it has defaulted to. It took me a bit to figure this out, and I thought at first that only ID 1 could ever be the human driven car, because it was always turned on while I was testing.

When you set up the pace car speed, any other ID'd car on the track will move at that speed. It doesn't matter if it's a car on #2 or #5 or whatever. This also means that multiple cars can be used as pace car traffic, but there won't be much of a race because EACH car will count a lap for the "Pace Car". You can't possibly win against more than one pace car, since it will count laps 2-5 times faster than you can. I could not find a way to disable lap counts, or to have pace cars individually calibrated and counted. I don't see why the app can't be updated in the future with those abilities, though.

Now, there appears to be a bug that crashes the app any time you disable the first driver in your list, which you might want to do in order to choose a different driver as the one you'll be controlling. The app won't allow any other driver to be turned on (only one human driver for Pace Car mode, remember?), but I'm betting that's only until the currently enabled driver is DISabled... but the crash prevents me from finding out if that's their intention. This happens on both devices I have that are compatible with ARC products. I expect once this bug is fixed that one will be able to choose whichever driver he has set up in the app. Unfortunately, this bug means that you'll need to go in and tweak the driver settings (power level, throttle curve, fuel load, etc.) each time you play with a different car that performs differently. Meaning, you wouldn't be able to set up cars and drivers in advance, and pick the one you're going to race with, and easily change to another. I'm sure this will be fixed in the future, though. It's clearly not working as intended.

There are no in-race features other than lap counting and lane changing. No pit lane related function (fuel, tires, etc). No KERS, not even Yellow Flag. Most of that is stupid, and could easily be allowed for the human driver, but the latter actually bothers me. It's common to crash your own car, or for the pace car tires to get dirty and allow it to slide and deslot even when the speed was set correctly. Not being able to reach over and tap the screen to pause the race in some way is, well... stupid. A feature that is present/available in all the other race types, but not in Pace Car mode for some reason? No. There's no reason. They NEED to add that in. It's insanity to not provide it for this mode.

Anyway, enough of the critique. At least it's something that works to allow a racer to have some competition when he's racing alone.
      Very informative...as usual. Thank you sir!

It sounds like only 1 driver can race against ghost (pace?) cars? Am I correct in saying the system is currently unable to race more than 1 human driver against x amount of pace cars?

Comment

At this time, I believe that is correct. It's essentially the ARC Air pace cars. I would expect that enhancements will be made for ARC Pro pace cars, but yes. If you want an autonomous car to race against, it will be one on one for now.

Comment

Originally posted by domer View Post
          Are you experiencing any lag when screen mirroring? The delay I experience make the the screen being mirrored to not usable as a main display if also relying on the audio (for starts, etc). Certain older Samung devices supported MHL adapter that would allow for micro USB to HDMI output, but I have do not have a MHL adapter.
          I hadn't noticed any, but I also wasn't able to really test it, since the TV I could test with is in my bedroom, and the track doesn't fit in there. ;-) I was mainly testing that it worked, but not during a race. If something changes regarding portrait/landscape mode issues, I'll probably get a new TV for the portable track.

Comment

MrFlippant, Greg, you've done it!

You convinced me so this Xmas there will be a Platinum set under the three

Comment

Enjoy!

Comment

Greg.

In your opinion, how does the system compare to Carrera Digital 132 while using the app.

I have Carrrra but just curious.

My main issue with Carrera is the sheer size. Other than that itís great.

Comment

Roughly equivalent. Each have strengths and weaknesses.

Comment

Mr. F.

In your opinion, how does Arc Pro compare to Carrera Digital 132?

How is it reliability wise?

How is it feature wise.

Imknow you are more up on Scalextric but I recall you getting a Carrera Dugital set some time back.

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Holy cow, I asked this question 6 months ago.

LOL

Have there been any updates that have added any features or make it more stable?

Thanks.

Any new impressions as you have now used it for a good while.

Any preferences between it or the 6 car base?

Comment

I thought I answered it.

At this point, I think the only reason to choose one over the other is going to come down to the track (Carrera can do 1/24 cars, but takes up more space), the cars (e.g. what kind you like and are they available from the OEM?), and controller type (trigger versus thumb plunger).

Comment

Working...
                        X