X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RikoRocket
    started a topic ARC PRO design fault fix for digital use only

ARC PRO design fault fix for digital use only

There was a fundamental design problem with the ARC PRO at its initial release, if lane 1 and lane 2 join together in any way it causes a short circuit and the powerbase goes into SAFE mode.

The following is a simple modification to overcome the problem, but it loses the ability to race analogue cars.

Many thanks to MrFlippant and to Gysse for proving this mod works and thanks to Gysse for the photos.

Mod is easy, you just need a screwdriver and a soldering iron. Suitable for teenagers upwards, difficulty level 1.

Remove 6 screws under the ARC PRO powerbase to reveal the wires

Unsolder the red and black wires at the top of the photo and resolder them to the opposite rail, so now red to the inside rail and black to the outside

Reassemble the 6 screws. Job done. Now most digital Scalextric track pieces can be used (CLCs, 2:1 chicane using pit changers). Note that the 6 car Lap Counter accessory does not work after this mod, due to the way that accessory is wired to the track. A modification can be done to the accessory, if needed, however most people with the ARC Pro are not likely to also be using the deprecated Lap Counter accessory as well.

If you try to use analogue mode you will find the cars will go in opposite directions. Hence this is a mod if you intend to use digital only.

Thanks again to Gysse and MrF for helping resolve this.
    Last edited by MrFlippant; 02-09-2018, 03:24 PM. Reason: added note about lap counter accessory issue discovered by Gorp

• Tom76
    replied
    No response required. Found the picture.

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• Tom76
    replied
    Originally posted by RikoRocket View Post
    There was a fundamental design problem with the ARC PRO at its initial release, if lane 1 and lane 2 join together in any way it causes a short circuit and the powerbase goes into SAFE mode.

The following is a simple modification to overcome the problem, but it loses the ability to race analogue cars.

Many thanks to MrFlippant and to Gysse for proving this mod works and thanks to Gysse for the photos.

Mod is easy, you just need a screwdriver and a soldering iron. Suitable for teenagers upwards, difficulty level 1.

Remove 6 screws under the ARC PRO powerbase to reveal the wires

Unsolder the red and black wires at the top of the photo and resolder them to the opposite rail, so now red to the inside rail and black to the outside

Reassemble the 6 screws. Job done. Now most digital Scalextric track pieces can be used (CLCs, 2:1 chicane using pit changers). Note that the 6 car Lap Counter accessory does not work after this mod, due to the way that accessory is wired to the track. A modification can be done to the accessory, if needed, however most people with the ARC Pro are not likely to also be using the deprecated Lap Counter accessory as well.

If you try to use analogue mode you will find the cars will go in opposite directions. Hence this is a mod if you intend to use digital only.

Thanks again to Gysse and MrF for helping resolve this.
    Hi guys,

Sorry to bring up an old thread.

In the above, it mentions a picture. Can you please advise where this picture is as I am unable to see this.

"Unsolder the red and black wires at the top of the photo and resolder them to the opposite rail, so now red to the inside rail and black to the outside".

Without seeing the picture, are you basically unsoldering the wires on both rails and swapping the colours .i.e solder the red where the black was and vice-versa?

Cheers.

Leave a comment:

• MrFlippant
    replied
    We call it "Gorpish"

Leave a comment:

• mitchiemasha
    replied
    Yes. I'm slowly starting to understand it. It was harder at first but the more I read, the more it computes.

Leave a comment:

• Wet Coast Racer
    replied
    Gorp has his own inimitable style, but he gets his point across just fine.

to SCI!

Leave a comment:

• mitchiemasha
    replied
    Gorp... Is your I key broke or do you have an aversion to the word 'I'? I've noticed it a lot, you completely avoid the use of it.

I was always starting sentences with it ditched, 'Will' instead of 'I will' as an example... 'Was' instead of 'I was'. We were always taught in English class to minimise it's use. I've always felt to over use it comes across selfish (for want of a better way to explain), I this, I that. It does need to be reduced but to completely ditch it can make for some bad text.

I noticed it as I did the same but now 'I' is welcomed in my use of words.
    Last edited by mitchiemasha; 06-05-2018, 02:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• gorp
    replied
    solutions are older lap counter or direct wire to pb4

ok today dug out another new counter bought in 2016
    it previously worked ok with the new straight dual changers with pb4
    unlike the older counter which would not handle new changers with pb4

tested ok on pb4
    failed with arc pro mod
    failed again with mod
    tested ok again with pb4

conclusion is
    use stock older lap counter with appless arc pro mod
    or direct wire new or old digital counter to out of track pb4

apologize for messing up Riko's how to fix arc pro posting
    you guys really did great service with this mod
    Last edited by gorp; 02-10-2018, 11:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MrFlippant
    replied
    What was the solution? I read that twice and all I could figure out is that things are working again now that you've tried them some more?

Leave a comment:

• gorp
    replied
    found solution unexpectantly

maybe these posts should be moved because

arc pro mod does work great for most requested digital problems

Mr Flippant asks for info
    was going to open up spare 4-6 counter to show him and then convert it to out of track power as only solution knew of
    had an old lap counter ready to use for conversion
    would not count laps properly with revised straight dual changers
    had contacted scaly by phone and email about this problem late 2016
    was told probably caused by change to run o2 better
    so bought a new 4-6 to use with new changers and old which it did powered by in track pb4

got out the old 4-6 that had failed with new changers
    plugged it in to modded arc pro to get expected failure like the new version before and then inside pics and finally conversion wiring
    guess what - old counter worked stock
    (rechecked new version of counter- bought directly from scaly early 2017 - that failed again with arc pro mod but then was fine with pb4)

then plugged in new changers to old counter and it still worked
    so happy now knowing that modded arc pro can continue without needing app
    but cannot explain why it worked - magic maybe like what the analog guys here used to call glad
    Last edited by gorp; 02-09-2018, 03:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MrFlippant
    replied
    I agree that it is confusing, but it does apply to this thread, since the OP states that this mod allows the ARC Pro to work with all stock Scalextric Sport Digital products, and it specifically names the Lap Counter accessory.

Although Gorp's purposes/uses are unique, it was due to those uses that he discovered this incompatibility. Due to the nature of the wiring in the Lap Counter accessory, it cannot be used with an ARC Pro once it has been modified as in the original post.

Hopefully that helps clear up any confusion a reader may have.

I will also edit the OP to note that the Lap Counter is not compatible.

Leave a comment:

• Z28Racing
    replied
    My $0.02: Post #9 on should be moved to the forum below and removed from this thread. For anyone not yet into the down-and-dirty of Arc Pro, this conversation is confusing. This is more about how to use the new system to do less than it is designed to do and should not be a part of this thread. Too confusing to be a part of the design fault fix and unrelated.

Leave a comment:

• MrFlippant
    replied
    Originally posted by gorp View Post
    surprised by this result too because when stripping out lap counter years ago found both lanes powered it
    That pretty much explains why, with the mod in the original post of this thread, the lap counter accessory won't work. It's getting no power because the power is conflicting with itself.

A pic would be nice, because it's possible that a simple snip of a wire or two will solve the problem such that the lap counter will work with any base, even a modified ARC Pro.

Leave a comment:

• gorp
    replied
    my only concern is for those arc pro moders who find that their tablet will not work with arc app and need a lap counter
    still trying to justify even buying my own tablet here

surprised by this result too because when stripping out lap counter years ago found both lanes powered it
    and thought would be perfect for arc pro mod since had used it stock with pbpro-sh and pb4

do remember when arc pro arrived there was discussion on wave form of the lane power
    perhaps that is what is causing stock counter shutdown

again my only solution is stripping out power from stock counter lanes and then connecting counter to one lane of separate powerbase such as pb4 while maintaining same positive/negative rail relationship
    it also makes a quick ider

will try to get you a pic
    Last edited by gorp; 02-08-2018, 06:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MrFlippant
    replied
    OK. Good to know that a person who just purchased a new power base specifically designed to use a mobile device for lap counting cannot use a decade old hardware lap counter. I guess there might be a few people out there with one of these in their 4 car PB layout that upgrade to the ARC Pro without removing the redundant hardware.

Gorp, since I don't have one of these devices, can you take a look at the wiring under the stock one? I'm wondering if it has something strange with how the power is taken from the rails, or if there are bridge wires between the lanes or something else out of the ordinary that might explain this issue you're seeing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X