No announcement yet.

Computer run pit lane add on (Pit Pro)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer run pit lane add on (Pit Pro)

I am waiting for this add on feature, might be a couple more weeks, to arrive but wanted to start to design a pit lane that would allow for up to 6 cars to pit at the same time and not be blocked as to get back out of the pit's onto the track. Not 100% sure yet which of the two programs to run it on.

Thought I should ask first if you can pit that many cars at once with either of the programs (pc lap counter or SSDS). Any one who has one, could you shed some light in that area?

All the RMS programs for SSD that have pit lane support will allow all 6 cars to be in the pits at the same time. All you need to worry about is:
    1) ensuring that they don't miss the in sensor (don't have it right after a turn or the pit entrance.. at least a half or full staight between any kind of turn and the sensor is best)
    2) giving them room and a lane changer or two to shuffle around, such as one lane for refueling, and one for stop and go or splash and dash stops. If you have room for a really LONG pit lane, then you can get multiple lane changers and have people park in specific locations.
    Other than that, you're good.

Comment

Thank you, that was the info I was looking for.

I would like to design a pit lane that that would be custom made to house all 6 cars and not block anyones way out if they wanted only a partial re-fuel and.... not use the digital lane changers to do this to save $$. Although... whats in ones head does not always work nor end up being as easy as one might think.

Thanks again.

Comment

Good luck. If you figure something out, then you'll be a hero to MANY people. You could save money by modding 3 double lane changers (XLC) to split out the flippers so that you have 6 independent pit bay entrances, but that's the best I can think of, and it would be a bit of work, and still take up a lot of space, though it would save about $150 ($50 per XLC you would otherwise need for a 6 bay pit lane). Even if you custom built the track itself, and flippers and all, you'd still need the electronics. I know a limited few people with the skills AND the time/desire to custom make lane change electronics, but it's usually NOT a money saver so much as a fun project.

In practice, however, you'll find that as long as you have room for a couple people to put at the same time, and someone else to drive through if needed, that's enough. Half the strategy of winning a fuel based race is pitting at the best time to not lose position, and try to end on an empty tank.

Comment

I was wondering if i could put summing like this on the Scalextric Digital Platinum Race Slot Car Set?

tia

wd

Comment

I was thinking about cutting up 3 straight change lanes but you still would need a pile more parts and half tracks and single lanes etc. Going with 5 lane changers and another 2 pit lane turnouts and adding on to the house would be the easiest and just run a double pit lane the whole way but closer to $350. I have a small CNC machine that can cut 14" widle by 8 - 12 feet long so once the layout is designed the cutting should be easy and easy to cut more if needed. The plan is after the first turnout and the sensor for the pit lane is to run an MDF pit lane track and connect on the other end on the way out of the pits back to standard track. If this works you would not have any electronic lane changers but your car would pit in the first open bay. If that bay was being used then you would turn into the next open bay and so on. When you leave the bay you would cross over the original in coming lane and connect to a second lane for out traffic only. Might be easier to build than to try to describe.

Big question is, will whats in my head work.

Comment

I've seen some interesting ideas posted in sketches, and even one proof of concept, where the creator used stacked sheets of thin foamcore or styrene so divert cars back and forth between two slots. With clever use of that concept, some pretty interesting pit lanes were come up with. He had even planned to make and sell them, but then he kind of dropped off the planet for some reason. You might be thinking about something very similar to that, so I think I know what you're getting at. Still, I'd love to see some sketches and/or test pieces when you get that project started.

Comment

Walking Dude, WELCOME to SCI!
                You can add pit lane stuff to the Digital Platinum set. You'll need:
                1) a Pit lane set of lane changers, and 2 packs of single lane straights, in order to add the pit lane for cars to stop in
                2) a PC cable for your power base in order for the computer to control things like fuel levels. Contact Rikorocket and slotfiend for their current cable prices and delivery estimates.
                3) A windows XP, or higher, PC to run the RMS on
                4) The RMS. Download and try them all! SSD Console, PC Lap Counter, Race Control System 64, and Race Coordinator Digital.

You don't NEED the Pit-Pro hardware, but it can be fun to have. It adds the ability to impose pit lane speed limits, restrict refueling to the pit lane only, and a fancy light tower that is often used to indicate fuel levels or penalties that need to be served.

Comment

Originally posted by Walking Dude View Post
                  I was wondering if i could put summing like this on the Scalextric Digital Platinum Race Slot Car Set?

tia

wd
                  That is the same set I have and will be working with and have ordered the pit addon from Riko. Just need to wait for the track pieces to arrive in order to know where I need to start the template of the pit lane bay's. This is all new to me as well. As far as I can tell, once you pass the entry lane into the pits and cross the sensor with your car, you could stop anywhere at that point and make your pit stop, so in my setup you may be stopping at a different bay each time you pit depending on usage. I did not think this would be a big deal but to some it may.

The dotted line would be the entry into the pits and the U would be the pit bays and when you exit the U you would cross over the ---- main entry lane and jump onto an out lane. How is that for a high tech picture.
                  Last edited by sfr table hockey; 01-03-2013, 01:45 PM.

Comment

and whats this yellow flag i have been reading about......that sounds really interesting to make the game even more realisitc!

Comment

Originally posted by Walking Dude View Post
                      and whats this yellow flag i have been reading about......that sounds really interesting to make the game even more realisitc!
                      One thing I found out off the bat was how hard the set up tower was to understand. After watching some of the video's on line, it made a lot more sence. Just know once you turn on the power to your tower it boots up and flashes and you only have a limited time to arrow over to get to the program mode or you are in basic (I think).

In the program features you can set up the yellow flag option for when a car comes off the track. You can set it so when you press your break after leaving the track you will cause the other cars to either slow down or stop after a set # of seconds in order to let the person put the car back on the track and not be laps behind.

There are many more options with the computer add on like was said in the above post (need to buy a separate cable and buy the programs but they are not too much $$) and then the next step is to add the Pit pro (another custom add on) not just the pit pro game, but this lets you have an actual pit area. Without again like was said above, you can still run the computer programs but you can stop anywhere and call for a pit stop so not as real. Also with that you have fuel usage and speed settings with full tank and faster with a lower tank and more. Almost back to a video game like play but still slot cars.

Comment

Originally posted by sfr table hockey View Post
                        One thing I found out off the bat was how hard the set up tower was to understand. After watching some of the video's on line, it made a lot more sence. Just know once you turn on the power to your tower it boots up and flashes and you only have a limited time to arrow over to get to the program mode or you are in basic (I think).

In the program features you can set up the yellow flag option for when a car comes off the track. You can set it so when you press your break after leaving the track you will cause the other cars to either slow down or stop after a set # of seconds in order to let the person put the car back on the track and not be laps behind.

There are many more options with the computer add on like was said in the above post (need to buy a separate cable and buy the programs but they are not too much $$) and then the next step is to add the Pit pro (another custom add on) not just the pit pro game, but this lets you have an actual pit area. Without again like was said above, you can still run the computer programs but you can stop anywhere and call for a pit stop so not as real. Also with that you have fuel usage and speed settings with full tank and faster with a lower tank and more. Almost back to a video game like play but still slot cars.
                        THankx dude. As I just stated in my member intro, (Forgot to do that first, sorry) total newb in the digi world, let alone slot cars. Havnent ran any since the old HO daze back in the 60's, so all your help is greatly appreciated. GREAT SITE!!

wd

Comment

Simple classic crossover?

Don't forget the simple Scalextric Classic crossover (with adapters on each end) to allow for 2 non-interferring pit stops ( --<===x===>--) that is the best schematic I can render easily.

Cheers!

BTW, can one router out the bottom of a Classic crossover to give a deeper slot? Just curious...

Comment

Re-thinking the layout for the pit lane bays

I tried to lay out 6 pit lanes in a line to see how much space is needed and it may be too much for the average user. Thought about another way to line the bays up like angle parking. Much less space.
                            _____________________________________________ main straight
                            -----.................--------------------------------------/ back onto the main straight
                            ......\_________/__/__/_pit tower_/__/__/
                            ................\________ red is no power to the track

---- line is the pit entrance and the track you leave the pit lane on. As cars come into the pit bay the red dead end lane should be closed with the pit car or manually closed if no car sits there. From there the next car into the pits will turn into the first bay and it will close with a simple flipper and stay closed until that car exits that bay and heads out onto the track. Next car in would take the 2nd bay if the 1st was used and so on.

This is my thoughts how to run a pit lane with an optional start with a pace car or have one person be the pace car all race long.

Looks like they (Carrera) can make the car come out by hitting a button, I assume like a yellow flag call on the Scalextric. Can we do this with any of the pit pro programs that any of you know of?

I am still waiting for my package from Riko ( Just came in today ..) with the pit pro lane computer upgrade. If Scalextric can use this feature I may think different about my pit lane design for that option to run.

Now back to my pit lane idea as it is now. I do think it will work to set up 6 bays, one for each car, to pit and be able get out when they want and not use digital lane changers thus keeping cost down. I was thinking about having another 7th bay for an optional non person controlled pace car.

If you wanted to have a pace car start your race with all cars in front of the start sensors but all in a single line behind the pace car. You could then have that pace car do the one lap and have it set to lane change after a set time, in case you have many lane changers, so that it will lane change into the pit lane and then the very first car into the pit lane would turn into a dead end bay where the power would end and that car would stop in that spot off to the side. The rest of the cars continue on to start the race as they cross the start line for the first time now. At that point lane changing can start and is a free for all. So in a layout you may make the start finish line at the start of a long straightaway (keeping in mind the cars drifting on corners and the sensor needing to be crossed going straight) with a couple lane changes right away, as opposed to it being at the end of a long straight. This keeps all cars in order until the start line is passed.

For the Auto pace car, once a car is in that pace car parking spot, it would trigger the lane to close for that bay ( a simple flipper triggered by the slot and the cars front guide pushing it aside) to close. The rest of the cars could pit as normal in the regular pit lanes.

Now after all that, you would only use the pace car to start a race and nothing more, unless you designate one of the 6 drivers to be the pace car and that would be his job only to come out at a set slower speed (when ever a car de slots) to run the pace car.

This is my idea how to run as a pace car driver. Once the pace car driver sees a car come off the track that has to manually be replaced, he comes out onto the track from the pit lane. No other cars can pass it but if in front of it when it comes out onto the track, you can race back to line up behind it or even to the pits if possible and pit and get out before you get lapped by the pace car and others and loose a lap or continue around and gain another lap before getting behind the pace car. It could be a race to get positioned behind the pace car to get as close to the front as you can to get the better start on the restart. You could make a rule that you must be in a single line behind the pace car and if you get messed up and not lane change in time to get behind it, you would have to wait and go to the back of the line and then get into that lane behind the other cars. If the pace car driver thought that the cars were not lined up right another lap may be needed under the caution. Also the car (person) that came off the track would have to go to the delsoted car and place it in the track side that the pace car does not run in and then once the pace car passes him he must try to get in line behind the other cars again in a single line.

With an actual pace car driver you would just manually close the pace car dead end track (using another car or place a stick in the slot to hold the filpper) so that no cars would enter there and just use the normal pit lanes that I plan to create and the pace car driver would then pit in the first open bay, which should be the first one unless someone decided to pit while the pace car came out. In that case that bay would be closed and make the pace car continue to the 2nd bay and so on.

If any of this sounds like a dumb idea let me know what you think. Just want to get some input before I go through the work of designing the cut paths for the slots in the CNC router program. Also if it sounds like it might be a good way to do things let me know that as well.
                            Last edited by sfr table hockey; 01-09-2013, 09:03 AM.

Comment

sample of the pit bays

This is the intent for the pit lane and bays entering from the left and exit right. As it is now this MDF slab would be about 60" long by 14 1/2" deep. Might be close for the cars stopping in the spot so that they don't stick out on either end.

I think I might have bought too much track.....could be the indy 500 and only need to do 10 laps.

Just fooling around with Illustrator and making some track pieces as close to scale as I could. Easier to move track pieces around than the track programs, just may not be 100% accurate but then again track can bend...

Comment

Working...
                              X