Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copper taping Scalextric Sport lane changes, etc.?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copper taping Scalextric Sport lane changes, etc.?

I like the idea of putting copper tape on the rails of my Scalextric Sport digital set up, but how would I handle the lane change sections? Tape all but the triangular shaped steel mechanism that flips back and forth that changes the lane?

I have not gotten far enough yet to start with the copper tape and needing to add a home made section to the original track or just boosting the connection between tracks.

I did see a photo of an older X change lane and the power rails were too close together where the lanes branch off and the cars brushes could touch both power sources (not sure if you would call it the +&-) but would short out for a bit as the car passed by. They said to make sure the brushes were not spread apart too wide or this could happen. My whole point to this would be take care if you do add copper to those areas not to extend them too much. My newer X change lane seems to have the rails stop a bit further back which may create a slight bit bigger dead zone, however less chance to short two lanes together as you pass that section. Hope that makes sense as to what my point was. Something a person has to keep in mind when making your own track a how far apart the dead spots have to be.

There was also talk about adding a small weak magnet inside some of the triangular flippers so that it makes better contact and powers up better as it rests against the power rail. They did say it was more for the corner changes than the straight X change.

Might not quite be what you were asking but something else to think about.

Comment

Before you guys go laying copper tape all over things, make sure your tracks are nicely crimped at the connections, you have a few power taps in place, and try some INOX MX3.

Comment

Once again I thank you for your input. I read a bit about this stuff but had thought it was more for the track power lanes and not just as easy to apply to the braids.

Looking this up on google I did see a dealer in BC. Not a lot of places showing in Canada. Anyone here get some yet? I assume it is ok to mail this stuff and is not classed as a dangerous goods product?

Also read in your link that some guys like WD40 and was used for things. I am not a fan of wd40 for plastics as it eats plastic. Put some on a balloon and it will pop in a few seconds. That might be why on tires it gives grip as it would gum them up but in time may destroy them.

Still so much to learn....

Comment

WD-40 is plastic safe... Balloons are latex rubber, which is not plastic. WD-40, as a penetrating petroleum oil, will soften rubber compounds. I used to use WD-40 on my track rails like many people still do... the people who haven't tried INOX MX3 yet.

My post links to the product page on 132slotcar.us, who is a US distributor of the product and sells direct. They will ship worldwide, and often ship to canada. As for "anyone here" getting some... take a look at the testimonials at the bottom of the original post of that thread. Those are ALL from people who have tried it and posted back in that very thread. You can click the little arrow next to their name in the quote to read their whole message.

That said, INOX MX3 will not turn bad track connections into good ones. It will improve OK connections, but as I said, you should start with well crimped connectors and a few power taps (depending on length of the track). Although there are still things that can be done beyond those things and the application of INOX, they're a LOT more work, and so I strongly recommend the INOX treatment before delving deeper, if only to make sure that the problem is NOT a braid to rail connection.
          Last edited by MrFlippant; 01-12-2013, 02:19 PM.

Comment

I am going to have to pick some of that INOX MX3 stuff up for sure. When I said was anyone here using it, I was more thinking of here in Canada and having it sent here. You answered that now with the shipping to Canada thing. As for the WD-40 I might have jumped the gun on the plastics side thinking it would do as on rubber.

Back to the INOX MX3. I noiticed the straight lane change flipper does not stay tight against the rail to make the flipper charged. I seen a thread, somewhere, that talked about a weak magnet install on the curved lane change but not to bother on the straight change track. Would a drop of the INOX MX3 on that flipper where the tip touches the side of the rail give a better contact point?

This kind of goes with the OP's original post about these lane changes and power to that flipper.

Or is there a better fix?

Comment

Originally posted by MrFlippant View Post
              Before you guys go laying copper tape all over things, make sure your tracks are nicely crimped at the connections, you have a few power taps in place, and try some INOX MX3.
              Good advice, will do!

Comment

Originally posted by sfr table hockey View Post
                Back to the INOX MX3. I noiticed the straight lane change flipper does not stay tight against the rail to make the flipper charged. I seen a thread, somewhere, that talked about a weak magnet install on the curved lane change but not to bother on the straight change track. Would a drop of the INOX MX3 on that flipper where the tip touches the side of the rail give a better contact point?
                It might. The stuff is truly amazing in how well cars run after using it. If the flipper is not touching the rail, then it won't have power, though.

There are other mods out there for providing power to the flipper. However, the it's primarily only an issue for new(er) drivers. You'll find that as you gain skill that stopping on flippers is super rare. It only ever happens with my club when we have a track call that stops cars, and therefore have no control of where the cars end up. Before we restart the race, we make sure all cars on on live rail, and things are fine. I used to want powered flippers, but now I don't care to perform the needed mods to make it happen.

Comment

Working...
                X