Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Scalextric powerbases & RMS

WOOHOO!
    New digital powerbases, race control systems, smart device control & wireless stuff for 2014 in Santa's sack
    >Scalextric link

RCS Pro, Air, & One:
    . .
    Last edited by sock99; 12-17-2013, 03:38 AM.

Hopefully it will be here by the end of next year.
    The release of the APB took a couple years after it was announced, but it was not announced along with a set that included it in the same year. As such, I'm more confident that this will see shelves by this time next year. I look forward to getting one.

Comment

Wow what dumb luck for me! LOL

I just for the digital platinum set and this one comes out. Shucks

Comment

Yeah, but you'll get a great year of fun racing with the APB, even if you plan to get the RCS Pro as soon as it comes out. Also, the APB will still be a viable power base even after the new one comes out. When it comes down do it, there really aren't many features it offers that we don't have right now, if we want them.
        Will I get one? Probably. Would I wait a year if I didn't already have an APB? No.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFlippant View Post
          Yeah, but you'll get a great year of fun racing with the APB, even if you plan to get the RCS Pro as soon as it comes out. Also, the APB will still be a viable power base even after the new one comes out. When it comes down do it, there really aren't many features it offers that we don't have right now, if we want them.
          Will I get one? Probably. Would I wait a year if I didn't already have an APB? No.
          IF I decide to upgrade to the RCS, I would still be able to use all my old tracks right?

All I need is the part that has the new controller? Would I also be able to use the digital display that comes with the APB kit?

Comment

All you need is the new power base part and controllers. The power supply will probably be the same. The track and cars are all the same. The APB display won't work with the new base, though. The main selling point of the new base is the bluetooth connection to your smartphone or tablet running their app. Rather than the LCD panel, you can use an Android or iOS tablet, or smartphone as your race controller and display. You can even connection 6 more as dedicated driver displays. So, if someone comes over to race, they just fire up their phone and set it as the car they're driving to see fuel and damage and whatnot.

Comment

Mr. Flip.

Does this new system work with the existing 6 car base or is it something new entirely.

Inquiring minds want to know!

Edit.

Helps to read. I think I found my answer.

Comment

Glad you figured it out.
                For others, just to clarify, the RCS is an entirely new, standalone, power base. It is not an accessory to any other base like the Carrera bluetooth device, shown this year, is. I prefer the idea of an accessory, as the current base would be fully capable of allowing such an accessory to take control, but Scalextric decided that a whole new base was the way to go. Their way does have the advantage that they can release versions for wired analog, wireless analog, and wireless digital, though.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFlippant View Post
                  All you need is the new power base part and controllers. The power supply will probably be the same. The track and cars are all the same. The APB display won't work with the new base, though. The main selling point of the new base is the bluetooth connection to your smartphone or tablet running their app. Rather than the LCD panel, you can use an Android or iOS tablet, or smartphone as your race controller and display. You can even connection 6 more as dedicated driver displays. So, if someone comes over to race, they just fire up their phone and set it as the car they're driving to see fuel and damage and whatnot.

What kind of controllers?

Now the debate is RMS and a computer or wait a year. Computer sounds pretty good.

Comment

You already have the APB. You can get a computer for really cheap, especially if you have, or know anyone with, an older computer that's just in storage.

Anyway, the new RCS Pro will only work with the RCS Pro wireless controllers that go with it. I believe if you buy the base alone, it comes with only 2 controllers, so you would need 4 more to have a 6 car race. They're also coming out with a new 6 car set that has the new base and 6 cars and controllers.

If someone already has the APB, it's a silly question. Just hook up a computer. If someone has only a 4 car base and isn't desperate to get some proper racing going ASAP, then I guess the question is a little harder. The RCS Pro will be pretty cool. We know that it will have some kind of USB port for third party support, but we don't know how long it will be for that support to materialize. Controllers will be only Scalextric wireless, at least for a while. We have no idea what the feel and quality will be, but hopefully they've learned some things over the years and made a better controller.

Comment

Thank you Greg for your answers.

So I will not be waiting for the new base. I will go forth with the RMS computer and cord. From whom would you recommend I purchase the cord and software?

Thanks again.

Comment

I recommend asking slotfiend (Rich G) and RikoRocket for their cable prices. They each make them and have different prices, so ask them both. They both work just as well, so I think it's a matter of choosing the length that suits you at the best price.

For software, wait until you get the cable, and then try them all! They all have different interfaces, and you may find one works for you better than another. Fortunately, they all have free trial periods or whatever, so you don't have to buy them to try them out. Here's the names of them all that I'm aware of. Google will find their web sites for you.

SSD Console (SSDC)
                        Race Control System 64 (RCS64)
                        PC Lap Counter (PCLC)
                        Race Coordinator Digital (RCD)
                        Ultimate Racer 3 (UR3)

Of the five, I prefer the first two. I expect to have a stronger preference for RCS64 when the new version is released soon. Current RCS64 has no event management for rotation and stuff, but the next one will. SSDC has been the go-to for a long time, and it's still a great piece of software. None of them are *perfect*, but that's why you should try them all to find the best match for you and your group. Not only does the program need to fit how your group races, but it also must be easy for you to use. What I prefer won't necessarily be what you prefer.

Comment

Originally posted by sock99 View Post
                          WOOHOO!
                          New digital powerbases, race control systems, smart device control & wireless stuff for 2014 in Santa's sack
                          >Scalextric link
                          This link is no longer up at Scalextric. What gives?

Comment

Rumors abound. Most people think that they're putting it off a year. That's possible, as the C7042 was announced years before it finally came out. I'm hoping that it's just an issue of remaking the page to a better one, but that doesn't explain why the previous one was removed.

Comment

Scalextric announced on Facebook yesterday from the Toymaster show that the new ARC system (formerly RCS) is scheduled for release in October of this year. They also said that their website will be updated shortly to reflect this.

Comment

Working...
                              X