• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sock99
    started a topic New Scalextric powerbases & RMS

New Scalextric powerbases & RMS

WOOHOO!
    New digital powerbases, race control systems, smart device control & wireless stuff for 2014 in Santa's sack
    >Scalextric link

RCS Pro, Air, & One:
    . .
    Last edited by sock99; 12-17-2013, 03:38 AM.

• Scaleracing
    replied
    This was Adrian 2 days ago.

Leave a comment:

• MrFlippant
    replied
    I don't put a whole lot of faith in the info provided by buys at booths at toy fairs. If Adrian says something, I'll be more inclined to assume it's true. The proof of the pudding will be in the tasting, though.

Leave a comment:

• Scaleracing
    replied
    Arc 1

From asking questions to Scalextric technical staff in the UK I asked Ok if I hook up say a DS-0022 Controller Hook up after market power supply and better 3 wire controllers will the ARC 1 still work as a Race Management system. They say if powered up by it's own supply the Race Management would still work with a Smart Phone or Tablet.
    Of course no power control but Lap Counting would still work. Good point if you were thinking about any control features the ARC 1 may have over the cars. Not sure I remember if it actually controls car power, of course if your not running through the base it will only know to score races, no fuel features.
    So yes and no, maybe. I better go back to Scalextric

Leave a comment:

• MrFlippant
    replied
    Are you sure that the new system actually has power go through the controllers? To do a lot of the things they say this will do, it makes sense for the base to have mosfet control over power to both lanes, rather than run the power through the controller. If the power is controlled by mosfets in the base, then you'd lose a lot of features by replacing the power/car control with standard power, just to get brakes. Heck, the system might not even work properly without the set controllers in use.

I hope you're right, though. If these things really are two wire analog controllers with no brakes, then I hope nothing is lost when a hobbyist wants to put "real" controllers to the track.

Leave a comment:

• Scaleracing
    replied
    Application Race Control

The re-name was to include the Application side of these bases.

The Digital and Analog wireless versions are progressing well, but will not likely hit the stores till sometime in 2015 as mentioned by Greg
    The people who adapted the current 6 car base to work with a PC etc. are already working on the base to bring all those amazing add ons only the Aftermarket can. Hopefully soon Slot.it can start working on making their excellent controllers work wireless with the new base. Then soon after the release we will see all the expanded features offered on the current system, and more

The ARC 1 is the first of these Power Bases to be released, that should happen around October 2014, and with it's Bluetooth link it is going to be a very useful connection to the track. With the Scalextric Ap it will give you race control system, lap counting and other tools and games. Sure it is only a 2 wire system for controllers ( no dynamic braking ) but even when people upgrade to better controllers with brakes the ARC Base can still be the Bluetooth link to the track for lap counting on your Android or iPhone or Tablet.

I am looking forward to trying out the ARC 1 system as soon as it hits the Stores, and hopefully people will develop an ap to allow multi lane timing and Race Management.

So a simple Set Power Base can now become the link between your Track, and your Android/iPhone to allow the screen to give all the timing info you previously needed a Computer for. Plus quick linking to SCI, Facebook, the Internet at large, the potential is huge.

Leave a comment:

• MrFlippant
    replied
    The ARC One will be. The ARC Air and ARC Pro are going to be 2015.
    ARC One, formerly RCS One, is the wired analog version.

Leave a comment:

• Porsche Racer
    replied
    Scalextric announced on Facebook yesterday from the Toymaster show that the new ARC system (formerly RCS) is scheduled for release in October of this year. They also said that their website will be updated shortly to reflect this.

Leave a comment:

• MrFlippant
    replied
    Rumors abound. Most people think that they're putting it off a year. That's possible, as the C7042 was announced years before it finally came out. I'm hoping that it's just an issue of remaking the page to a better one, but that doesn't explain why the previous one was removed.

Leave a comment:

• MT Tam I am
    replied
    Originally posted by sock99 View Post
    WOOHOO!
    New digital powerbases, race control systems, smart device control & wireless stuff for 2014 in Santa's sack
    >Scalextric link
    This link is no longer up at Scalextric. What gives?

Leave a comment:

• MrFlippant
    replied
    I recommend asking slotfiend (Rich G) and RikoRocket for their cable prices. They each make them and have different prices, so ask them both. They both work just as well, so I think it's a matter of choosing the length that suits you at the best price.

For software, wait until you get the cable, and then try them all! They all have different interfaces, and you may find one works for you better than another. Fortunately, they all have free trial periods or whatever, so you don't have to buy them to try them out. Here's the names of them all that I'm aware of. Google will find their web sites for you.

SSD Console (SSDC)
    Race Control System 64 (RCS64)
    PC Lap Counter (PCLC)
    Race Coordinator Digital (RCD)
    Ultimate Racer 3 (UR3)

Of the five, I prefer the first two. I expect to have a stronger preference for RCS64 when the new version is released soon. Current RCS64 has no event management for rotation and stuff, but the next one will. SSDC has been the go-to for a long time, and it's still a great piece of software. None of them are *perfect*, but that's why you should try them all to find the best match for you and your group. Not only does the program need to fit how your group races, but it also must be easy for you to use. What I prefer won't necessarily be what you prefer.

Leave a comment:

• MT Tam I am
    replied
    Thank you Greg for your answers.

So I will not be waiting for the new base. I will go forth with the RMS computer and cord. From whom would you recommend I purchase the cord and software?

Thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• MrFlippant
    replied
    You already have the APB. You can get a computer for really cheap, especially if you have, or know anyone with, an older computer that's just in storage.

Anyway, the new RCS Pro will only work with the RCS Pro wireless controllers that go with it. I believe if you buy the base alone, it comes with only 2 controllers, so you would need 4 more to have a 6 car race. They're also coming out with a new 6 car set that has the new base and 6 cars and controllers.

If someone already has the APB, it's a silly question. Just hook up a computer. If someone has only a 4 car base and isn't desperate to get some proper racing going ASAP, then I guess the question is a little harder. The RCS Pro will be pretty cool. We know that it will have some kind of USB port for third party support, but we don't know how long it will be for that support to materialize. Controllers will be only Scalextric wireless, at least for a while. We have no idea what the feel and quality will be, but hopefully they've learned some things over the years and made a better controller.

Leave a comment:

• MT Tam I am
    replied
    Originally posted by MrFlippant View Post
    All you need is the new power base part and controllers. The power supply will probably be the same. The track and cars are all the same. The APB display won't work with the new base, though. The main selling point of the new base is the bluetooth connection to your smartphone or tablet running their app. Rather than the LCD panel, you can use an Android or iOS tablet, or smartphone as your race controller and display. You can even connection 6 more as dedicated driver displays. So, if someone comes over to race, they just fire up their phone and set it as the car they're driving to see fuel and damage and whatnot.

What kind of controllers?

Now the debate is RMS and a computer or wait a year. Computer sounds pretty good.

Leave a comment:

• MrFlippant
    replied
    Glad you figured it out.
    For others, just to clarify, the RCS is an entirely new, standalone, power base. It is not an accessory to any other base like the Carrera bluetooth device, shown this year, is. I prefer the idea of an accessory, as the current base would be fully capable of allowing such an accessory to take control, but Scalextric decided that a whole new base was the way to go. Their way does have the advantage that they can release versions for wired analog, wireless analog, and wireless digital, though.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X