Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Scalextric cars handle the best out of the box?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Scalextric cars handle the best out of the box?

Anyone with any experience willing to share?

I find the Porsche's in my Digital Platinum set handle 'worse' than the Lambo.

Also finding the cars power output from each car to another are all different even when power is set to 50% across the board.

Some of the handling will be dependent on your layout. If you have curvy sections, especially radius 1 and 2 curves, you may find a short wheelbase car goes better for you.

Comment

True. In general, a lower center of gravity will "handle" better. Also, lower ride height, and therefore stronger magnetic traction, will help. Finally, with magnet cars, getting more grip in the tires helps. Give them a buzz on sandpaper and/or clean them with some WD-40 to increase grip a bit.

The Porsche are tall and narrow, and will tip out more than the lower/wider Lambos.

As for the speed of cars, what you're seeing is the differences in motor speeds (even though they're all technically the same), which is enhanced by the differences in magnetic traction caused by the variation of magnet strength and the proximity of the magnets to the rails, which will differ slightly on each car. Even with magnets removed, the motor variations will present a distinguishable variance. That's why, to be completely fair when racing, the power should be turned up so that skill in driving plays a larger role than the differences between the cars. When skill has increased enough, rotating racers through the different cars is another way to even up those differences.
      Last edited by MrFlippant; 12-28-2013, 12:16 PM.

Comment

the modern scaley F1 cars will probably outperform any other scaley by a fairly wide margin. but they're also the most fragile and are open wheelers, so they don't take a digital flogging as well as some other options.

Comment

No kidding! Those were the cars my boys and I started with. Super fast and very twitchy. If any car needs power reduction, it's those things. They also need the tired scuffed up for better grip.

Comment

Anything low, wide, long, and preferably sidewinder.

A few of my favorites:

Jaguar XKRS
            Audi R8 LMS
            Maserati MC12
            McLaren MP4-12C
            Aston Martin DBR9

Comment

Yeah I agree the Aston DBR9 out of the box handles very well on my carrera track.

Comment

The Maserati MC12 hands down is Scaley's best handling car, with the Ford GT 2000 a close second

Comment

I have to say, I've been impressed with the handling of my Scalextric GT40s. Hugs the road and hauls the mail.

Comment

My MG Lola is the best handling Scaley car i have ever seen.

Comment

Second the vote on the MG Lola LMP.

Comment

Most LMPs handle really well, especially with magnets in them. They're low, and wide, and long, and usually have pretty high magnetic downforce. I've got a bunch of R1s in my layout, and can go flat out through most of them, depending on how clean the tires are and how many volts I'm running at.

Comment

the original digital were best to me

audi and porshe
                          quick
                          could take a beating
                          just add sillies

Comment

The MP4-12 c

Comment

Working...
                            X