New to digital

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to digital

Hello, new here and new to digital 1:32 slot cars. I got the scalextric c1275 Digital race line set for my 7 year old for Christmas and wanted to know if there was any good advice for us to start? We have been having fun but would like to see if there was any way to turn the power down so he can keep the cars on the track more? I didn't want to go out and buy the APB yet until I know for sure that he will want to keep playing. Any other tips would be great. I have read all the other post and really like the site.

There's not a whole lot you can do with the 4 car base. Even if you buy a variable voltage power supply, you won't have enough adjustability to make much of a difference without spending a bunch of money that would be better spent on the APB. Keeping the cars on the track is easier with reduced power, though, so it might be money well spent to get the APB. You already have all the other things you need to make it work (controllers, PSU, etc), and you don't need the second PSU until you want 4-6 cars rather than 1-3.

I'd suggest taking the magnets out, but without being able to reduce the power or change the throttle curves as you could through computer control with the APB, it's a bit of an exercise in futility.

I guess, just make your best judgment call. If you think the investment would be worthwhile, get the APB. If you think he'll just get bored of it anyway (and assuming you won't get hooked on slot racing, either ;-), then just wait for the mood to pass.

Personally, I think the 4 car base has cost us more budding slot racers than anything else. It really is NOT good in almost any way other than its simplicity. The whole system is infinitely more enjoyable with the APB in control.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, since getting it almost doubles the money spent on the set, but that's my IMHO.

Comment

Hi Tn,
      Welcome aboard... pretty new myself. I can only tell you that switching to the C7042 powerbase (Like MrFlippant suggested) made a huge difference to my family but I also purchased the cable to go to a laptop which made it even better. It's is a bit of a cost though, especially with the new ones coming out this year some time.
      I was able to switch the power down quite easily to 25% which allowed my 3 year old the ability to drive the cars around without a problem. He just loves it

Comment

Thanks for the info. Sorry it has taken so long to get back but I will be looking to buy a APB when I get the extra funds. He is really wanting to get the jump from the fast and furious set and thinking about getting 1 or 2 more cars and see where that gets us. Anyone have any ideas on building a small but fun layout with this set and some extension parts?

Comment

Can I buy the C1309T Fast and Furious race set and use it with the c1275 digital set I have? I know I have to buy chips for the cars but will the track connect together and will the digital power supply that I have work for now?

Comment

Yes. To all the question asked.
            You'll want to disable the analog powerbase, make into just another straight, just as a precaution. If the analog power supply and controller were to somehow find themselves hooked up while the digital base was also hooked up then.....well....you'd have a good excuse to get the six car APB. I don't believe there'd be any risk of your house burning down.

Ah man. Just looked out the window. Got a half inch of snow on my car. Wonder what it's like north n west from here.

Comment

I'm going to tag on to this thread since I'm also new and have a similar question. Hope that's ok.

I just bought a digital set for my son's birthday. We've been running Carrera Go! for a few years now and it's time to graduate to digital (actually posted about going digital back then and decided to stick with go! because of my son's age/ability).

Scalextric RCS vs APB. Looks like the RCS pro will not be released until December? Also looks like it won't do much more then the APB other then a very user friendly tablet interface and some game modes?

What is the most inexpensive route to getting more track to expand on what comes with the set. Ebay? I still have to sort out what track pieces I need for our space and layout first.

Thanks!

Comment

Scalextric RCS has a lot of potential, but at first the only thing we know for sure it will have that you don't already get with the APB is the tablet app to control it, and OEM wireless controllers. The RCS app looks pretty good, but it's basically doing the things that computer RMS have been doing for a while. Anyone with a tablet is likely in the kind of family with easy access to an older computer that has already been put in a closet because it was replaced. Anything that came with Windows XP is likely capable of running the APB (though slower processors might struggle). You can get wireless controllers for the system from a couple sources that allow you to plug in any SSD compatible controller, while the OEM ones that are for the Scalextric RCS Pro may, or may not, be of good, long lasting quality (probably not, since it's a "toy"), but hopefully they at least have a good feel and comfort. The real question is, upgrade now, or wait another year? We hope the RCS Pro is on shelves before Christmas, but the APB slipped a couple times, and some people think the RCS Pro will slip as well.

As for cheap track, ebay isn't terrible, but be sure to check out the BST forum right here on SCI. Sport track isn't expensive, but shipping a large box can be. Sometimes people will practically give the track away, given the cost of shipping it. If you don't find any active sales, post a "Wanted" thread. Another option is Craigslist.

Figuring out your laying in advance is nice, but part of the fun is changing it, so having extra track is usually a good thing, at least for a while. What you want to avoid is getting piles of R2 and full straights. Eventually you'll find that an enjoyable layout is usually made up of a variety of turns, not just a bunch of straights connected by hairpins and spirals. You want to look for track that gets you R1, R3, and R4 turns as well, not to mention a few of the short and quarter straights. If you're lucky, you'll find a person selling off digital track as well.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFlippant View Post
                  Scalextric RCS has a lot of potential, but at first the only thing we know for sure it will have that you don't already get with the APB is the tablet app to control it, and OEM wireless controllers. The RCS app looks pretty good, but it's basically doing the things that computer RMS have been doing for a while. Anyone with a tablet is likely in the kind of family with easy access to an older computer that has already been put in a closet because it was replaced. Anything that came with Windows XP is likely capable of running the APB (though slower processors might struggle). You can get wireless controllers for the system from a couple sources that allow you to plug in any SSD compatible controller, while the OEM ones that are for the Scalextric RCS Pro may, or may not, be of good, long lasting quality (probably not, since it's a "toy"), but hopefully they at least have a good feel and comfort. The real question is, upgrade now, or wait another year? We hope the RCS Pro is on shelves before Christmas, but the APB slipped a couple times, and some people think the RCS Pro will slip as well.

As for cheap track, ebay isn't terrible, but be sure to check out the BST forum right here on SCI. Sport track isn't expensive, but shipping a large box can be. Sometimes people will practically give the track away, given the cost of shipping it. If you don't find any active sales, post a "Wanted" thread. Another option is Craigslist.

Figuring out your laying in advance is nice, but part of the fun is changing it, so having extra track is usually a good thing, at least for a while. What you want to avoid is getting piles of R2 and full straights. Eventually you'll find that an enjoyable layout is usually made up of a variety of turns, not just a bunch of straights connected by hairpins and spirals. You want to look for track that gets you R1, R3, and R4 turns as well, not to mention a few of the short and quarter straights. If you're lucky, you'll find a person selling off digital track as well.

As always Mr F, you are the man. Thank you.

I'm going to start out with the APB and the used set I scored on eBay for now. That should give us a ghost car to play with (3 controllers and 3 cars in set), track call, and power limiting if we want to go with mag-less from the get go. I'll keep an eye out for more track at a bargain in the mean time.

Dumb question of the day: Is it easy to remove a magnet from these cars? And more importantly, put it back on if desired?

Comment

Magnet removal is usually pretty easy, though sometimes you have to pop the motor out to get the magnet out. Depends on the car. Worst case is that the magnet clip snaps, and then you use a dot of glue to hold it in, or tape over it.

Comment

New to Digital as well

I recently purchased the APB and am slowly aquiring track towards a final design. In the meantime I'm fun experimenting with differents courses.

Recently starting removing the magnets, what a blast that is trying to control the cars. Definately more realistic.

I have two questions, hopefully someon can answer for me.

1. I have noticed occasionally during a race, the APB does not see the car to decrement a lap on the APB. It appears the car passes over the light sensor in the track. Is there some sort of setting or anomaly that exists with the the APB?

2. I eventually want to migrate to a pc based RMS, does anyone have any recommendations? I noticed there are few companies out there that offer cable and software.

Thanks ....
                      Last edited by belair55beme; 04-14-2014, 05:23 PM. Reason: Mis-typed item 1

Comment

Sorry, this one escaped my eagle eyed vision. ;-)

1) Have you upgraded the firmware in the base? If you're not at v1.09, then lap counting is not as reliable. Chances are, your guide blade is not nice and deep in the slot. The latest firmware ignores the guide, and only counts the light sensor. Putting the base at the END of a straight, just before the next turn, forcing you to slow down at that point, usually helps if upgrading the firmware is not an option for you.

2) buy a cable and try all the software. Contact Slotfiend AND RikoRocket here on SCI. They both make cables and have different prices. Also check ProfessorMotor, and I think HotSlots132, as they re-sell the cables, and might have competitive prices.
                        All the RMS software has trial period, version, or are free, so I say try before you buy!

If you get the cable to use PC race control, you'll be able to perform the firmware update, which you can read all about at ssdc.jackaments.com

-Greg

Comment

Just wanted to post up and say a big thanks for all the help. My son's birthday arrived and we setup the track on the table he has in his room. It's a smaller table built for the carerra go he's been running, but we managed to get a basic layout up. APB was a must to turn down the power for such a small layout (starting with magnets for now). He was literally jumping up and down screaming as we raced the pacer car set to random lane changes. Good times had by all!

One dumb newbie question: Is it possible to fine tune the cars speeds using the APB? I see I can change from 50%, 75% or 100% power, but is there a way to tune the drivers speeds like you can with the Pacer cars down to the 1%? Reasoning is the 3 cars that came in our set and hugely different in speeds. Until we go magless, I would love to get them handicapped a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by HOSSinNH View Post
                            Just wanted to post up and say a big thanks for all the help. My son's birthday arrived and we setup the track on the table he has in his room. It's a smaller table built for the carerra go he's been running, but we managed to get a basic layout up. APB was a must to turn down the power for such a small layout (starting with magnets for now). He was literally jumping up and down screaming as we raced the pacer car set to random lane changes. Good times had by all!

One dumb newbie question: Is it possible to fine tune the cars speeds using the APB? I see I can change from 50%, 75% or 100% power, but is there a way to tune the drivers speeds like you can with the Pacer cars down to the 1%? Reasoning is the 3 cars that came in our set and hugely different in speeds. Until we go magless, I would love to get them handicapped a bit.
                            If you hook the APB into your computer (via the cable mentioned above) and use a race management software such as SSDC, you can change the power level to each driver to whatever you want.

Good luck.

Heath

Comment

Heath nailed it. That's the only way I know of to get fine adjustment for each car individually, which is what you'd need. The beauty of connecting it up to a computer is that you can upgrade the firmware to make lap counting more reliable (along with a few other changes), plus you can use computer software to run races and do cool stuff like pit stops for fuel, and/or damage repair and other stuff. While this might be too much for some really young racers, it doesn't take long for most kids to learn, and it adds to the fun that the bigger kids can have. ;-)

Comment

Working...
                              X