Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scalextric RikoR cable etiquette

Hi Guys,
    Pretty new to digital and finally have my new layout up and running with the new cable attached to a laptop with a second screen. I'm curious how sensitive these cables are with the initial setup directions being pretty specific.
    Once everything is connected can I leave the cable connected when shutting down the laptop and rebooting or does it need to be disconnected (USB end) when the laptop boots every time? (Windows 7 if that makes a difference)
    I don't plan on removing the end connected to the C7042 at all... just looking for best practices when shutting everything down and restarting. Shut down power to the powerbase, then laptop when turning off for the night? What do other folks do?

I want to make sure this cable lives a long happy life

I leave mine connected all the time, and simply flip the switch on the power strip that everything is connected to.
    the only thing you need to worry about is when you disconnect/connect the pc cable from the APB itself. THAT is when the APB needs to be off.
    The computer end doesn't seem to matter, as I often power up my track but leave the computer off.

Comment

OK that makes things much easier. I might add a bracket to simply prevent it from being removed from the APB in that case. Thanks very much!

Jamie

Comment

I do it the way MrF does. And if you want to use the computer without racing, just don't turn on the power to the APB. And anytime you want to power up the track, if the computer is already on, just turn on the APB. Works like a charm.

Comment

what if computer is not used after downloading ?

will the tower still show laps and times ?
          will the lap counter be changed to electronic eye only ?
          will all the other normal functions work ?
          is the only loss the larger display of the computer screen ?

Comment

The upgrade does not stop the tower from working. In fact, the upgrade includes several changes to the firmware for the tower, including some more power level options, and a more intuitive direction control for analog mode.
            The lap counter for digital mode does change to "electronic eye" (IR LED for Car ID) only.
            The lap counter for analog mode stays the same, using only the guide blade detector.
            All other normal functions work.

Using a computer does not simply add a bigger display. It adds anything a race management program adds. This includes things like fuel burn, fuel load simulation, automatic track calls, even simulated tire wear and weather patterns with rain and intermediate tires along with hards and softs.

But otherwise, yes, upgrading the base makes it work better all around, not just with a computer, but also with the tower it comes with.

Comment

Still/More confused???

Originally posted by MrFlippant View Post
              The upgrade does not stop the tower from working. In fact, the upgrade includes several changes to the firmware for the tower, including some more power level options, and a more intuitive direction control for analog mode.
              The lap counter for digital mode does change to "electronic eye" (IR LED for Car ID) only.
              The lap counter for analog mode stays the same, using only the guide blade detector.
              All other normal functions work.

Using a computer does not simply add a bigger display. It adds anything a race management program adds. This includes things like fuel burn, fuel load simulation, automatic track calls, even simulated tire wear and weather patterns with rain and intermediate tires along with hards and softs.

But otherwise, yes, upgrading the base makes it work better all around, not just with a computer, but also with the tower it comes with.
              OK, I'm still relatively new to this digital stuff, too, and I tend to run with an analog crowd, so the digital doesn't get used much.

I thought that when using the cable and tying into the PC, you could not use the tower, or is this something new?

I have been wanting to upgrade to the PC use, but the cost of the cable is a little prohibitive at this time (I have an accountant wife who is trying to cut costs).

Ultimately, I want to have HO analog with Race Director on one side of a rotating table, and Scalextric Digital on the other side, tied into the same PC that I use for the HO. I have the track, I have the computer, I have the monitor mounted on the wall, I just don't have the table or the cable yet...

Curt

Comment

That's correct. It's one or the other. I wanted to make sure Gorp was not thinking that the firmware upgrade resulted in a base that could ONLY be used by a computer. The firmware upgrade makes the base better, and it can still be used with the tower it comes with OR a connected computer.

The cost for using a PC is usually just the cable cost. Be sure to contact both RikoRocket and Slotfiend here on SCI for their prices, or shop around. Some retailers have cables now, just make sure they're for the C7042 base. You're looking at around $30 shipped, in most cases, which is less than most ready to run analog computer timing systems. There are a variety of software options, including one based on a popular HO program, Race Coordinator Digital, and it's free.

Comment

better lap counter/timer ?

has using only the electronic eye proven better
                  than eye plus guide detector ?

do value your opinion MrFlippant
                  so please tell me what you actually think
                  Last edited by gorp; 01-05-2015, 12:19 PM. Reason: punctuation

Comment

eye only is more reliable because it can be in any part of the straight, rather than only the end, so long as the car is not sliding. Previously, it needed to be ALSO before a turn, so that the car was braking, but even then some guides did not register reliably.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFlippant View Post
                      The cost for using a PC is usually just the cable cost. Be sure to contact both RikoRocket and Slotfiend here on SCI for their prices, or shop around. Some retailers have cables now, just make sure they're for the C7042 base. You're looking at around $30 shipped, in most cases, which is less than most ready to run analog computer timing systems. There are a variety of software options, including one based on a popular HO program, Race Coordinator Digital, and it's free.
                      When I have looked before I was quoted US$65, which corresponds to around CAN$ 765,000,000 roughly (I'm sorry, I HAVE been told to NEVER exaggerate), plus shipping, plus duty, plus taxes...

Our club is using Race Coordinator on our 4-lane analog track, and I really like the software. I am planning on using the digital version at home, iffnwen I ever get the cable...

Curt

Comment

Yeah, duty really buggers things for you canucks. :\

Comment

thank you

for the info

Comment

Working...
                          X