Confused on digital and extension tracks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused on digital and extension tracks

I am new to slot racing and wanted to get a set and some extension tracks for my son for Christmas.

After reading about different brands today, it seems like Scalextric would be our best option, but I am confused on a few points. Based on the reviews and writeups here, I definitely want to get a "Scalextric 1:32 Digital Advanced 6 Car Powerbase" and go the digital route...

My confusion comes though when I look at sets like the "Scalextric C8511 Track Extension Pack". If I get one of these will I then have to get a "Scalextric 1:32 Start Converter Track Pack" for each peice that comes with it to make it work? If so, that seems expensive. I couldn't find any digital-only extension packs so it seems like I am missing something. How do I know which tracks/extension sets would need the convertor? My goal was to get the 6 car powerbase and then buy some extensions so my son could build out his own tracks.

Thanks for any help!

The track extension packs are made of Sport track, which is compatible with the Sport Digital track. Only the special digital pieces are "digital". All the pieces in between are the same as the analog track.

You do not need any conversion pieces. The pack you mentioned is if you got a Start set (not a starter set), which has a different track type. Scalextric stopped making new sets in that line, anyway.

If you get any Scalextric Sport analog set, you'll get track you can use with the digital power base. Your best bet, however, is to get a digital set, even just a 2 car one, and add in the C7042 "APB" to replace the base the set comes with. Then, add more track and cars as you can.

Try to avoid getting a lot of sets, because the track is going to be all the same, and you'll want more of the other types of track, especially the different radius turns, and different length straights to help make things meet up.

Comment

Thank you for the quick reply!

So if I understand correctly, I can get the 6 car powerbase, and then buy some extension sets and interesting individual track parts, like the ramps, and my son can build them together however he wants? That was my ultimate goal with the present so that would be perfect!

Comment

One more question, if I haven't exceeded my limit...

Using the 6 power base, is the "Scalextric C7002 Digital Accessories Hand Controller" a reasonable controller? If not, which others should I look at?

Comment

Originally posted by runem View Post
          Thank you for the quick reply!

So if I understand correctly, I can get the 6 car powerbase, and then buy some extension sets and interesting individual track parts, like the ramps, and my son can build them together however he wants? That was my ultimate goal with the present so that would be perfect!
          Well, you can do that with any stack of track, whether it comes in a set or not. The reason to get a set is that it's a pretty heft savings on costs. The track, itself, is usually free when you calculate the cost of all the other stuff. When starting out, a set is pretty much always the best way to go. If you get just the base and track, you'll end up spending more, plus you'll still need cars, chips, power supply, and controllers. Getting a digital set, the C7042, and a variety of track packs will give you everything he needs to get started, and a variety of tracks to use for custom layouts.

Originally posted by runem View Post
          One more question, if I haven't exceeded my limit...

Using the 6 power base, is the "Scalextric C7002 Digital Accessories Hand Controller" a reasonable controller? If not, which others should I look at?
          It's the OEM controller. For starting out, that's the best bet. If you get a set, you'll get at least two of them. If the hobby takes hold in one or both of you, then better controllers would be worth looking into. They start at more than 2-3x the cost of the OEM controller.

Comment

Working...
          X