Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference in the Scalextric Digital Platinum Sets

Hi there...

I'm looking to dive into Scalextric Digital and have a few Platinum sets in my local area i'm considering. Some are new in local hobby shops together with a combination of new and used on my local online classifieds in Vancouver Canada. I discovered some references to a c1330 version of this set, often labelled the 2014 version. There's also a c1276 version that i've seen. Anyone have a clear sense of the differences between these two version of the Digital platinum set and things I may need to watch out for?

Is there a better way to jump in?

Thanks for the time and read....
    Steph

The sets contain the same track to the best of my knowledge. The cars are slightly different. Most notably, the older set C1276 has a pair of Lamborghini Gallardos along with the Porsches and Audis. The newer version comes with McLarens instead of the Lambos.

The newer set might have newer firmware version in the Advanced Power Base. A used set might well have been updated.

The DPR chips in the cars got several revisions over the years. I'd favor a C1330 just for that reason, all else being equal.

Comment

Also the track diagram in the 1276 set has one lane changer reversed. Lotsa people couldn't figure that one out.

Just because. C1276 sold out and was discontinued to be replaced by the Digital Carbon set, which set has yet to be seen in public. So Digital Platinum was rebooted as C1330T. If you were to send Scalexxtric a message http://www.scalextric.com/contact they might answer why they assigned the new number.

Comment

The Digital Platinum set is a good value when you add up the separate cost of components. A new set on discount or a tidy used set would be a great jump into Scalextric Sport Digital hobby.

Comment

Thanks guys. Firmware notwithstanding, and types of cars, sounds like the major components are the same. That's what I wanted to know.
          Now...to decide if this is the best way to jump in. The cost of this set freaks me out.
          Sigh...gotta love the dilemmas of money
          Steph

Comment

It's the best way to jump in if you expect/want up to 6 people racing right away, yes.
            You can start out cheaper and still have the same features, but with less cars, controllers, and track.
            The only thing you'd need on top of the platinum set is the PC-Aux cable, which is a specially made cable sold by third parties RikoRocket and Slotfiend here on this forum (and elsewhere). If you see a C7042 cable being sold, it's likely to be from one of those two guys. PM them for prices, because they each offer different prices and lengths.
            The cable is a "need" because it's what lets you update the firmware, which a new set will need done, for sure. Even Scalextric doesn't put in the latest firmware, because it's third party (though supported by Scalextric) unless you send them your power base to do it for you. You also need the cable if you want to explore the computer race management options. While the C7042 base has all the basics covered, and really does a great job, when you add computer control you get things like fuel simulation, and even tires and weather and such.

Comment

MrFlippant: Thanks for the response. It certainly seems as though that set is the way to start. Good info re: firmware upgrade. I come from an RC/heli background so I'm definitely familiar with the notion of updating firmwares and helps to know I need to get on the cable right away.

As for extending/expanding the track....am I right to assume that any used analog track will work with this set to expand it? I definitely don't yet have a layout in mind, but I generally figure a 4x11ft or 5x10ft layout will be what I'm looking for. I really don't have a sense of how much track I need yet, over an above the Platinum set, to fill that space. A local hobby shop to me in Vancouver has a 4x20ft layout and I think he said that was about 4 sets worth of track. Cost wise, that just scared me If there's anyone in Auburn Washington unloading track let me know, and I'll just drive south

Cheers
              Steph

Comment

Some more questions

Originally posted by MrFlippant View Post
                The only thing you'd need on top of the platinum set is the PC-Aux cable, which is a specially made cable sold by third parties RikoRocket and Slotfiend here on this forum (and elsewhere). If you see a C7042 cable being sold, it's likely to be from one of those two guys. PM them for prices, because they each offer different prices and lengths.
                The cable is a "need" because it's what lets you update the firmware, which a new set will need done, for sure. Even Scalextric doesn't put in the latest firmware, because it's third party (though supported by Scalextric) unless you send them your power base to do it for you. You also need the cable if you want to explore the computer race management options. While the C7042 base has all the basics covered, and really does a great job, when you add computer control you get things like fuel simulation, and even tires and weather and such.
                I was checking forums, since I am going to be abandoning SCX Digital, I have been considering Scalextric, specifically the Platinum set with the 6 cars and 6 car power base. Mr. Flippant, you had mentioned the above and I am very interested in the pit stops, fuel simulation etc. I have been having a hard time finding out anything about pit stops other than what appears to be the ability to purchase 'lead in' or 'lead out' tracks, but nothing specifically about fuel management (fuel tracking), refueling, an actual pit lane, etc. Is the only way to get actual fuel management for the system by using computer race management? If so, is this also available via Scalextric or does it require purchase from a 3rd party?

Ran

Comment

Yes, for proper fuel management, you need computer race management. The off the shelf system is just a simple "lights out" game with no real fuel simulation. For fuel simulation, you need only the track pieces to pull out off the track, and do what's necessary for the software.

It's nice to have pit sensor, which you can add using a Pit-Pro (modified Pit Lane Game), Smartsensors (purpose built sensors), or the new Locator Pro chip from scorpius wireless. Depending on the RMS, the device will work as pit in and/or out sensors. Sensors give you things like pit lane speed limits, automatic braking upon entering the pit lane, and easier access to pit functions and drive through or stop and go penalties. They are NOT, however, required for pit lane (and fuel) functionality.

Personally, I recommend getting only the Aux cable, and then trying out the various RMS options. After racing a bit, decide which RMS you like best, and then which pit sensing option works best for that RMS. You'll want to check out:

ssdc.jackaments.com
                  rcs64.com
                  pclapcounter.be
                  racecoordinator.net/rcd.html
                  uracerweb.org

the top two tend to be the most popular, but if you already have experience with others, they might be a better fit. google search for the pit sensor options I mentioned, if you're interested in them after deciding which RMS you like best.

Comment

I have just bought the newest Platinum set and I can confirm that it comes with 2x McLaren, Audi R8 and Porsche 935, (one of the Mclarens is a very nice Gulf version too), but you still need to upgrade the firmware. I haven't upgraded mine yet as I ordered a cable and it has only just arrived, but it has performed faultlessly so far. I will be going onto SSDC very soon to upgrade though.

Comment

RCS64 has the firmware updater built into it.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFlippant View Post
                        RCS64 has the firmware updater built into it.
                        Good to know, thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X