X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MW Racer
    started a topic 7042 Power Base Question

7042 Power Base Question

Have the new 7042 power base. Waiting cable to update the firmware. While running chipped cars in analog mode I can hold the trigger all the way down and the car(s) do not run as fast when in digital mode. Other non chipped cars do not do this. Current lane length according to UR3 is 29 feet. Not sure if this matters? Also using both Scalextric power supply's. Will the update fix this or is there something else going on? Thanks in advance for the help with this!

• MrFlippant
    replied
    It could be caused by the motor specs, but that would affect the cars when run in digital mode as well, I would think.

Let us know what your retailer or Scalextric say when you contact them about this issue. IMHO, you should be able to get it swapped out, 'cus that behavior is not right.

Leave a comment:

• MW Racer
    replied
    Originally posted by MrFlippant View Post
    Anything is possible, but I don't expect the firmware to have an effect.

The only thing I can think of is that the PCM power for analog mode is at a frequency that SSD chips don't like, or at least disagree with, and they can only get half (or less) of the power actually being put to the rails. With a chipped car, the power is rectified and goes through the chip and then to the motor. It would seem that something about the PCM power from your APB is not copacetic with the SSD chips. The solution is likely to be, pull the chip out if you want to run the car in analog mode, or, just run the chipped cars in digital mode.

The PCM can also cause strange pulsing with certain motors in analog cars in analog mode. It's common, but for most people it only shows with high torque motors and at high throttle. An unfortunate few have had uncontrollable pulsing at low speed with most cars. The only solution was to get a replacement power base through Scalextric. If yours works well for analog cars in analog mode, then it might not be worth worrying about.

Hello Mr. Flippant,
    Got the cable last week and upgraded the firmware. You were correct in that it did not resolve the slow chipped car issue. Also, I have an SCX F1 car and it is running slow also. No chip. I can hold the trigger all the way and does not go fast. Need to investigate. Did get a NSR Bad Boy Corvette. Tuned except for tires. Looks like someone tried to true at the factory and did not do a good job but it flies around the track. Same with my Slot It and Sideways cars. No chip in these. Had a Scalextric chip in the Slot It and Sideways cars and didn't work. Could the slowness in analog be related to motor rpm's?

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• MrFlippant
    replied
    Anything is possible, but I don't expect the firmware to have an effect.

The only thing I can think of is that the PCM power for analog mode is at a frequency that SSD chips don't like, or at least disagree with, and they can only get half (or less) of the power actually being put to the rails. With a chipped car, the power is rectified and goes through the chip and then to the motor. It would seem that something about the PCM power from your APB is not copacetic with the SSD chips. The solution is likely to be, pull the chip out if you want to run the car in analog mode, or, just run the chipped cars in digital mode.

The PCM can also cause strange pulsing with certain motors in analog cars in analog mode. It's common, but for most people it only shows with high torque motors and at high throttle. An unfortunate few have had uncontrollable pulsing at low speed with most cars. The only solution was to get a replacement power base through Scalextric. If yours works well for analog cars in analog mode, then it might not be worth worrying about.

Leave a comment:

• MW Racer
    replied
    yeah, it's funny how lower power can often mean better laps.
    I wish I had a solution for the digital cars being slow in analog mode, but that's a completely new one to me. If I hear of a solution, I'll try to pass it on.
    Thanks Mr Flippant, I should get the cable this week and will update the firmware to see if that fixes it. Let you know what happens.

Leave a comment:

• MrFlippant
    replied
    yeah, it's funny how lower power can often mean better laps.
    I wish I had a solution for the digital cars being slow in analog mode, but that's a completely new one to me. If I hear of a solution, I'll try to pass it on.

Leave a comment:

• MW Racer
    replied
    The other things are normal. I have no idea why digital cars would go slow in analog mode.
    And from what you say, they go the correct, faster speed when the track is in digital mode.
    Yes, they do go faster in digital mode and throttle response feels quicker, more responsive. It is weird because in analog mode they put up good times without de slotting. Almost like they are running in pace mode.

Leave a comment:

• MrFlippant
    replied
    The other things are normal. I have no idea why digital cars would go slow in analog mode.
    And from what you say, they go the correct, faster speed when the track is in digital mode.

Leave a comment:

• MW Racer
    replied
    That's pretty strange. These are cars with Scalextric digital chips in them? And when you're running the track/base in analog mode, those cars go slow enough to go full throttle without crashing? Are the motors pulsing a lot? what if you go to partial throttle?
    Layout length should have any bearing on this issue.
    It's a new one, to me. Usually the problem with chipped cars is that they are very twitchy and have no brakes when run on an analog track (or C7042 in analog mode).
    Does it matter which lane you use? Without making any changes, you can put an analog (no chip) car of the same/similar type, and it goes much faster?
    Do ALL chipped cars run slowly in this situation, or just certain ones?
    Hello Mr. Flippant,
    Thank you the response. Hoping you would see this. They are Scalextric super resistant cars with digital chips in them. I am also running a Fly Porsche 908 with a Scalextric chip that is doing the same thing. Motors are not pulsing that I can tell. Partial throttle seems good, if anything trigger response feels a little sluggish. Sometimes the braking is not there but I cannot tell if this is consistent. Does not matter which lane, slow on both lanes. Yes, non chipped cars do go faster in analog mode. Took the chip out of the Scaletric McLaren and it runs faster in analog mode. One thing did notice is that when switching from analog to digital is that the fan on the power base seems to increase and when switching from digital to analog it slows down. Should the red light or green light next to where you plug in the power be lit up on the power base? Many thanks in advance for the help with this!

Leave a comment:

• MrFlippant
    replied
    That's pretty strange. These are cars with Scalextric digital chips in them? And when you're running the track/base in analog mode, those cars go slow enough to go full throttle without crashing? Are the motors pulsing a lot? what if you go to partial throttle?
    Layout length should have any bearing on this issue.
    It's a new one, to me. Usually the problem with chipped cars is that they are very twitchy and have no brakes when run on an analog track (or C7042 in analog mode).
    Does it matter which lane you use? Without making any changes, you can put an analog (no chip) car of the same/similar type, and it goes much faster?
    Do ALL chipped cars run slowly in this situation, or just certain ones?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X